2015 Noses merged thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
toto1041

2015 Noses merged thread

Anyone have sketches for how the "fixed" 2015 noses will look?

Sevach

Re: 2015 Noses

If the Mercedes nose is still legal i got a feeling that's what everybody will look like.

LightningLewis

Sevach wrote:If the Mercedes nose is still legal i got a feeling that's what everybody will look like.
From Autosport!

"Lastly the rules prevent super short noses as used by Mercedes this year. The nose tip will have to start about mid-way along the front wing."

"The way the new rules are worded means teams will most likely opt for a solution similar to the current Ferrari."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114548

Thunder

The Mercedes Nose from the first few Races this Season could be legal.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Raleigh

The new rule that noses must be symmetrical will catch out the Merc nose (both types).

Currently they are getting around the ban on the measured cross-section being U shaped by having the front of the left pillar as a vanity panel piece. This lets them put the bulk of the required cross-section into the right pillar and have a very thin horizontal tip at the upper limit of the height limits, allowing very good airflow through the nose.

The cross section is also 5cm lower now, so although you could make Ferrari's nose legal it will have worse airflow. Hopefully this will tip the balance in favour of the best aerodynamic solution being a low and narrow conventional nose similar in form to the likes of the 2004 McLaren. That or we'll end up with a field using the current Caterham nose...

matt21

I do not really understand these discussions about "beautiful" and "ugly" noses.

Isn´t this what F1 is about? Unconventional thinking?

I´m just thinking about these:

Hobbs04

http://wtf1.co.uk/f1-noses-photoshopped/

2014 noses without the "eh hem" well you know the pointy bitz

dmjunqueira

How about the RB10 nose? At least looking from front view, it seems to taper more linearly from the low tip to the front of the chassis...Maybe they have to make some changes on the tip and on bottom part of the nose, but I think that a lot of this design could be carried over. Any thoughts on this?

mrluke

Raleigh wrote:The new rule that noses must be symmetrical will catch out the Merc nose (both types).

Currently they are getting around the ban on the measured cross-section being U shaped by having the front of the left pillar as a vanity panel piece. This lets them put the bulk of the required cross-section into the right pillar and have a very thin horizontal tip at the upper limit of the height limits, allowing very good airflow through the nose.

The cross section is also 5cm lower now, so although you could make Ferrari's nose legal it will have worse airflow. Hopefully this will tip the balance in favour of the best aerodynamic solution being a low and narrow conventional nose similar in form to the likes of the 2004 McLaren. That or we'll end up with a field using the current Caterham nose...
not sure your assessment is correct.

McMrocks

mrluke wrote:
Raleigh wrote:The new rule that noses must be symmetrical will catch out the Merc nose (both types).

not sure your assessment is correct.
i think he's talking about the Lotus nose beeing illegal by next year

Raleigh

McMrocks wrote:i think he's talking about the Lotus nose beeing illegal by next year
Both Lotus and Merc noses use asymmetry to loophole the current regulations (in Mercedes case to let them have a higher nose than the visually similar Ferrari), although the Merc's asymmetry in hidden by the vanity panel.

Both will of course be caught out by the new regulation enforcing symmetrical noses.

mrluke

Raleigh wrote:
McMrocks wrote:i think he's talking about the Lotus nose beeing illegal by next year
Both Lotus and Merc noses use asymmetry to loophole the current regulations (in Mercedes case to let them have a higher nose than the visually similar Ferrari), although the Merc's asymmetry in hidden by the vanity panel.

Both will of course be caught out by the new regulation enforcing symmetrical noses.
Still not sure thats correct.

Isn't mercedes trick to say that the middle of the nose does not mean the middle on plan view, it means the centre of mass when viewed frontally (or something to that effect).

If you look at the crash damage of the merc nose (hamilton has a few) I don't think it supports your asymmetrical statement.

McMrocks

Raleigh wrote:

I always thought that the Merc-nose is symmetrical. The cross section is U-shaped (the U is upside-down) but not assymmetrical.

slimfitcasual

2015 noses

Looks like we have a return of early '00s design, with no anteaters or vacuum cleaners in sight! 8)

via F1fanatic
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/09/03/e ... gulations/
Per ardua ad astra

Timmie99

Re: 2015 noses

nice! Always loved them