McLaren MP4-30 Pre-launch Speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
tranquility2k4
tranquility2k4

Re: McLaren MP4-30 Pre-launch Speculation

This article from f1talks: http://www.f1talks.pl/2015/01/20/minard ... obszarach/

Suggests the rumours are that McLaren has a very innovative new car design for 2015. It also states that Mercedes are expected to use just 2 of their 32 tokens (at least for engine introduction of Jerez). Maybe Mercedes have changed many parts on reliability terms, as they couldn't run for a sustained time and are therefore keeping a large portion of their tokens for later season development.

Richard
Richard

The Mclaren livery does seem to have a life of it's own. I'll move the posts to their own thread to avoid smothering this or the thread or the team thread.

:arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... =1&t=21323

emmepi27
emmepi27

I was looking the teaser on Mclaren's facebook page and i can spot something interesting!

Is it the new nose???

frosty125
frosty125

Looks like a 2015 nose to me.

Richard
Richard

I suspect someone will find its a trace of a generic image from a website discussing the new rules. I wouldn't be surprised if it's based on a drawing by Scarbs or a similar author.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Richard wrote:I suspect someone will find its a trace of a generic image from a website discussing the new rules. I wouldn't be surprised if it's based on a drawing by Scarbs or a similar author.
I don't see why they wouldn't use their own nose. It's not as if the other teams are going to gain anything from it.

Richard
Richard

bonjon1979 wrote:
Richard wrote:I suspect someone will find its a trace of a generic image from a website discussing the new rules. I wouldn't be surprised if it's based on a drawing by Scarbs or a similar author.
I don't see why they wouldn't use their own nose. It's not as if the other teams are going to gain anything from it.
We have this argument every winter. I can't remember a team using a real image in their pre-unveil teasers.

Perhaps Ron Dennis' famously tight secrecy has slipped and someone has drawn the actual car.... or maybe it's just a typical winter teaser from the PR dept.

Did they run a 2015 spec nose in the Abu Dhabi test with that new wing? It might be a sketch of that?

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Richard wrote:
bonjon1979 wrote:
We have this argument every winter. I can't remember a team using a real image in their pre-unveil teasers.

Perhaps Ron Dennis' famously tight secrecy has slipped and someone has drawn the actual car.... or maybe it's just a typical winter teaser from the PR dept.

Did they run a 2015 spec nose in the Abu Dhabi test with that new wing? It might be a sketch of that?
And we have the same people posting 'that's not real' every year 'that's just the presentation car' etc. It's released by Mclaren so is probably more discussion worthy than the rest of the stuff on here. Sometimes you see true representations of the cars, other times not. To be quite frank, who cares if it's real or not. It certainly looks like a 2015 legal nose and if it's representative of what we'll see then the cars will be more pleasing to the eye than last year.

Incidentally, both Merc and Red Bull used their actual designs for promo work in the lead up to their unveiling last year. I'm sure other did too, even if it was close up of parts.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

The image I found is probably a clever fake, though it could be based on something Scarbs did as you say.
It'll be interesting to compare the fakes with the actual MP4-30 design wise to see which ones came closet to
the design philosophy McLaren are taking in 2015. Not long to go until McLaren reveal all.

gastonmazzacane

Richard wrote:The Mclaren livery does seem to have a life of it's own. I'll move the posts to their own thread to avoid smothering this or the thread or the team thread.

:arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... =1&t=21323
I apologize, for posting about livery, and thanks for moving my post :)

About the nose subject, I think this must be it, but it just looks too obvious :)

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

emmepi27 wrote:I was looking the teaser on Mclaren's facebook page and i can spot something interesting!
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B7zGrdgIIAEd9-p.jpg:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B7zHDoaIcAAunk_.jpg:large

Is it the new nose???
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Moose
Moose

I love that you guys jump to "clearly this is what the new car looks like", when the airbox doesn't even exist on that design >.<

Richard
Richard

The number 11 on the rear wing shows the main car image is Alain Prost's MP4/4. So the film is supposedly set in 1988.

However that front nose & front wing detail doesn't seem historic, it looks to be 2015 compliant.

Vasconia

tranquility2k4 wrote:This article from f1talks: http://www.f1talks.pl/2015/01/20/minard ... obszarach/

Suggests the rumours are that McLaren has a very innovative new car design for 2015. It also states that Mercedes are expected to use just 2 of their 32 tokens (at least for engine introduction of Jerez). Maybe Mercedes have changed many parts on reliability terms, as they couldn't run for a sustained time and are therefore keeping a large portion of their tokens for later season development.
I have seen it, it sounds like the typical "hype" for a new car. Yes, the car will have a completely new chasis, mainly because the previous one was absolute garbage. But I dont expect such a great innovation, its more important going to back to the basics, a good chasis which is easy to make it work with the new engine, there is an enormous amount of work to achieve a successful integration of both elements. They will have time to build a more innovative car during the season and in 2016.

PhillipM
PhillipM

I don't know, they might have not done great with the rear blockers last year, but that combined with the rad position and sidepods was all new ground, and all very interlinked (the blockers work better with air coming around the undercut than over the sidepod, so you can reduce sidepod lift as well as helping the 'blockers' the more air you can get around the side), maybe if they've managed to shrink the sidepods further with the Honda/development they'll keep or introduce a new version of the rear blockers?