McLaren MP4-30 Pre-launch Speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Egresi Tamás
Egresi Tamás

Re: McLaren MP4-30 Pre-launch Speculation

2:30min. Tim Goss: "... the chassis is much tighter." That's good news! =D>

bauc

Re: Mclaren Honda 2015

Egresi Tamás wrote:Tim Goss: "... the chassis is much tighter."
A man can dream [-o<
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Egresi Tamás
Egresi Tamás

Matt Morris "how well packed the car is due to the good job Honda has done with the engine".

Richard
Richard

This thread is where we talk about the actual car.

We have a thread for orange fetishists and predicting colours from the tea leaves .... :arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... =1&t=21323

Colour posts have, and will be, removed from this thread.

CjC
CjC

Egresi Tamás wrote:2:30min. Tim Goss: "... the chassis is much tighter." That's good news! =D>
That's disappointing for Alonso, he won't be able to carry his briefcase and travel bag around with him out on track :P
Just a fan's point of view

McMrocks
McMrocks

I assume he's talking about the bodywork around the sidepods and the rear. Because the monocoque can't be tighter due to the rules (min heigth, width, etc.). Only lower but that's not tighter

Artur Craft

Well, my Spanish is not perfect and quite some things I couldn't get but the points that caught my attention:
_Marca say to have heard that the development team(under Promodrou since September 15th) have gained several aero points
_Car will allegedly feature an "S-Duct" on the nose tip to improve front downforce(they say Mercedes have this for already 2 years)
_The wing-shapped rear wishbones are gone and work has been done to adapt to a non-FRIC configuration

Sevach
Sevach

Egresi Tamás wrote:Matt Morris "how well packed the car is due to the good job Honda has done with the engine".
That's good, last years cars looked like it belonged in the 90's in terms of packaging.

ringo

They can make the mistake like ferrari and have a very tiny power unit with poor cooling. haha. So i wouldnt get too comfortable with hearing how well packaged the mp4 is.
For Sure!!

Vasconia

Artur Craft wrote:Well, my Spanish is not perfect and quite some things I couldn't get but the points that caught my attention:
_Marca say to have heard that the development team(under Promodrou since September 15th) have gained several aero points
_Car will allegedly feature an "S-Duct" on the nose tip to improve front downforce(they say Mercedes have this for already 2 years)
_The wing-shapped rear wishbones are gone and work has been done to adapt to a non-FRIC configuration
They also say the the new car was already more efficient than its predecessor during the second half of November.

Richard
Richard

Vasconia wrote:
Artur Craft wrote:Well, my Spanish is not perfect and quite some things I couldn't get but the points that caught my attention:
They also say the the new car was already more efficient than its predecessor during the second half of November.
Statements like that have no value. What F1 engineer is going to say they've spent all year working on a design that is slower than the current car?
ringo wrote:They can make the mistake like ferrari and have a very tiny power unit with poor cooling. haha. So i wouldnt get too comfortable with hearing how well packaged the mp4 is.
This is where Honda have an advantage. They may not know what goes on inside Merc's black boxes, but they can benchmark against the power output, fuel input and cooling loads of the 2104 car.

ian_s

Richard wrote:This is where Honda have an advantage. They may not know what goes on inside Merc's black boxes, but they can benchmark against the power output, fuel input and cooling loads of the 2104 car.
they have a time machine? thats gotta be useful :lol:

i think this is the biggest bonus to McLaren this year, in that they have worked with Honda the whole time in packaging the PU into their car, instead of taking someone elses engine that they have had no input into, and try to build a car around it.
lst time McLaren won a championship they were the Mercedes works team, now they are a works team again they can build a decent car again. maybe not this year, but 2016 at least

Lazy
Lazy

dren wrote:
Mesteño wrote:http://youtu.be/OCjkJoFGuRU

In this video Matt Morris talks about "how well packacged the car is due to the good job Honda has done with the engine".

Quite interesting.
That is interesting considering the 29 had a well packaged Mercedes unit.
Yeah, but they didn't tell McLaren how well packaged it was.

dren

Lazy wrote:
dren wrote:
Mesteño wrote:http://youtu.be/OCjkJoFGuRU

In this video Matt Morris talks about "how well packacged the car is due to the good job Honda has done with the engine".

Quite interesting.
That is interesting considering the 29 had a well packaged Mercedes unit.
Yeah, but they didn't tell McLaren how well packaged it was.
They swapped the exhaust on the teams late, but that was it. The teams Mercedes supplied certainly had 3D cad drawings of at least the shell and component connections. They would have had cooling requirements, etc. That should have allowed for a bit tighter sidepod cover. The car's overall design direction was poor relatively speaking.
Honda!

bauc

Any news when will the on-line presentation begin tomorrow? I've check their web-site but no specific details expect that is tomorrow :?
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg