McLaren MP4-30 Pre-launch Speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mclaren111

Re: McLaren MP4-30 Pre-launch Speculation

I think his influence on the 30 will be significant:

I think he worked on the 30 before his official September starting date.

They would not have gone to all the trouble of producing the RBR Front Wing if the rest of the aero package was not in line with PP's new philosophy for 2015 - as Ron said himself :D

GPR-A duplicate2

It appears that McLaren Honda has met the same fate as Renault and Ferrari.

McLaren-Honda wants Formula 1 to unfreeze engine regulations
"Boullier admits he has concerns that Mercedes could be in a position to dominate the sport for years unless the rules are relaxed."

GoranF1
GoranF1

mclaren111 wrote:I think his influence on the 30 will be significant:

I think he worked on the 30 before his official September starting date.

They would not have gone to all the trouble of producing the RBR Front Wing if the rest of the aero package was not in line with PP's new philosophy for 2015 - as Ron said himself :D

I agree,because i think that if anyone belives that "gardening leaves" are being respected in a brutal competition world such as F1 actually belives in fairy tales.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

siwillems
siwillems

GPR-A wrote:It appears that McLaren Honda has met the same fate as Renault and Ferrari.

McLaren-Honda wants Formula 1 to unfreeze engine regulations
"Boullier admits he has concerns that Mercedes could be in a position to dominate the sport for years unless the rules are relaxed."
With the budget Honda have, they would be in a very good position if they could develop the engine and keep the updates coming through. I dont think the statement by Honda can be seen as either good or bad, perhaps more that they can see the line they want to develop the engine down and want to get on with it maybe?
Da de dum, de da da dum.
Da de dum, de da da duh!!!

CjC
CjC

I'm not so sure whether mclaren and honda need to develop the engine. I think they would like to develop the engine (PU) though, Mercedes would like to develop their PU.....

I think I watched eric say what is written in this article on autosport (non-subscription, please read if you get the opportunity) on sky, on crofty's #askf1 program, channel 407 I'm sure it'll be repeated, if you get the chance you will see crofty asking eric about an engine unfreeze and the context of the question and answer was 'do we need to unfreeze the engine rules for the good of the sport' and this is Erics answer:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117233

As it's a time of slow f1 journalism the article has been 'sexed' up a tad and the context of the article has been slightly tweaked to think honda are in trouble and a previous poster, a few post up has took it, ran with it and sent it to the next level and we are to believe mclaren-honda are in a mess and have forgotten where to put the fuel.
Last edited by CjC on 28 Dec 2014, 12:58, edited 1 time in total.
Just a fan's point of view

bauc

Last year Mclaren launched the mp4-29 on 24th of January.... hopefully they will launch the mp4-30 on similar date meaning we are less than one month away
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

lio007

According to Omnicorse http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/45523/ ... tapparella:

- RB10-like nose (as Ferrari and Mercedes will do)
- no butterfly-suspension
- uncompetitive Honda-PU (at least at the beginning)

But TBH I don't know if these are pure speculations from the omnicorse-autor, or if it is based on reliable sources.

mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea

lio007 wrote:According to Omnicorse http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/45523/ ... tapparella:

But TBH I don't know if these are pure speculations from the omnicorse-autor, or if it is based on reliable sources.
Usually they are right regarding Mclaren. I read them too for years, and they are a decent reliable surce. Last year they spoke about the butterfly suspension from the begining of January, with almost one month before the launch of the car.
Another example is from December 2012 about mp4-28. Take a look here and see how accurate they were about the 2013 car: http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/24051/ ... po-ferrari
They were the first to say that mp4-28 would not be an evolution of the mp4-27 (the fastest car on the grid) but rather a "revolution". When I read that, I think that they were crazy, but when I saw the car in February 2013 they were damn right.

bauc

lio007 wrote:According to Omnicorse http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/45523/ ... tapparella:

From previews experience Omnicorse are full of S@IT
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

diffuser

He's ambiguous to his definition of "in the beginning" he might be talking about early testing (In January). I would expect the Honda PU not to be very competitive there.

GoranF1
GoranF1

Omnicorse

McLaren relies on Peter Prodromou for its revival. The MP4-30 has not its ultimate shape, but promises to be a clean break with the cars of the past two years. The Woking team, fifth in the Constructors' Championship, is making a big effort to meet the expectations of Honda, the Japanese giant has decided to return to F1 with the exclusive supply of its V6 Turbo and Fernando Alonso who left Ferrari to seek new outlets to his career. The few laps of the power unit on the chassis of the MP4-29 Japanese H were a disaster: the project is still very immature and the control units of the various systems do not "talk", showing all those problems that had already seen in the tests Jerez last winter with the Renault engine fitted to the Red Bull Racing.MP4-30

Muzzle BULB WITH THE RED BULL
The aerodynamic Anglo-Cypriot arrived in mid-September from Milton Keynes has the difficult task of bringing the team's Woking on the waterline of the top teams: the MP4-30, which was established under the technical management of Tim Goss, is a puzzle evolving. Less and less a McLaren and increasingly a Red Bull. Beginning with the muzzle showing a bulb pronounced just like the RB10 who raced this year: this solution seems to be that the best interpretation of the new rules of the FIA ​​and seems to have been taken up by Ferrari and Mercedes for aerodynamic advantages it offers, leaving a considerable passage of air under the "nose".

BACK GOOD WING FRONT REJECTED IN ABU DHABI
With this configuration will return good front wing that had seen the last Grand Prix of Abu Dhabi and which then had been set aside because it did not fit to the cash of the MP4-29. Peter Prodromou, notwithstanding the monocoque that has already been approved by the FIA ​​for 2015 after having successfully passed crash tests, is transforming the lay-out of the machine.

NO REAR SUSPENSION A SHUTTER
The first thing that was put in "attic" is the rear suspension to "shutter". The two carbon arms with a butterfly shape are disliked by Prodromou who wants to try the downforce thanks to the quality of the flows that are brought into the rear diffuser and an increase of resistance as it was revealed the suspension in 2014. This is not to say that it has been thrown away, but it remains a solution (that will not be seen on the machine to the presentation) if the package Peter does not give you the results that you are seeing in the gallery.

HOT AIR decides to vent 'QUEUE AS ON RB10
Great care has been taken to the cooling of the power unit Honda: the outburst of the hot air will be queued according to the dictates of Newey why should disappear louvers side of the MP4-29 leading forms of bellies to be very tapered tail. The cores, however, will not be mounted tilted forward as the RB10, but will retain the classic McLaren.

UNCERTAINTY AND 'DATE FROM HONDA MOTOR VERY ACERBO
A Woking, in fact, are working to ensure the engineer the best car possible even if they are perfectly aware that, at least initially, the Honda engine will not at all competitive, although the ambition of Yasuhisa Arai, head of Motorsport Japan, is very high. The MP4-30 you will certainly see the end of January in one of the (few) presentations not online ...

iotar__

I think McLaren people themselves confirmed the third one - Boullier asking for change of rules and extended development period and Dennis with : "problem is reliability not performance". As if Renault's case didn't show that it can't be seperated and it only sounds better like that. BTW talking about performance of an engine that didn't yet run in a compatible chassis is a bit too much even for Mc Laren.

From a google translation above it doesn't sound bad and rather vague, they're pointing out testing and then there's a safe assumption about teething problems. On the other hand they sound very certain about Prodromou and nose/suspension.

GoranF1
GoranF1

Omicorse

The Honda is ready to approve its power unit of Formula 1 on February 28 according to the will expressed by Charlie Whiting , the FIA's technical manager, but then the Japanese deemed evolve the engine during the season in 2015, taking advantage of the 32 tokens development that were granted granted by the regulations.

The argument will become cause for debate tomorrow in the meeting which was convened between them motorists in Geneva to define the rules of 2016 : the Japanese will pursue their claims in this forum, but I'm not sure you can get the result that go looking already in this meeting. The objective of Honda, in fact, is to arrive early in the season 2015 with the okay to develop the V6 Turbo initialed 1X2 .

Yasuhisa Arai , head of Honda Motorsport is well aware that it is impossible to put all the chips in the development of the engine, which will be delivered to the FIA for approval.

The project , in fact, it is rather late compared to the initial schedules, so it is easy to predict a rather difficult first season in the matching with McLaren , the team that will supply Japanese exclusive.

It is worth mentioning the troubles that have virtually prevented the MP4-29 H to turn on tests of Abu Dhabi : the test session that ended the 2014 season on the Honda engine to debut (he had a shakedown turning at low speed to Silverstone ) is a problem with the electronics that has heavily influenced the work that had been scheduled.

In the absence of the alternator which in the past provided the current 12 vol t, the electricity needed to power the systems had to be taken from the battery ERS, but it was enough to trouble the accumulator to mute the car on time: l ' inability to shoot with some regularity at Yas Marina did not allow technicians to verify the functionality and reliability of the six-cylinder.

turbof1

A friendly reminder that while livery talk is permitted in this speculation topic, it will not belong in the official topic, opened once the car is officially presented. Then it belongs in the team thread. Just a heads up for you guys!
#AeroFrodo

Egresi Tamás
Egresi Tamás

http://www.f1analisitecnica.com/2015/01 ... p4-30.html
Quick summary.

The nose will not be like the RB10, instead it will be closer in shape to the 2009 Brawn.
Particular attention has been paid to the area around the turning vanes and front brake ducts in an effort to reduce turbulence and improve the quality of airflow to the rear of the car.
The central and rear area of the car will be the most interesting. The sidepods will be tall in the center section and very tight towards the rear.
The extreme compactness of the rear is possible because of the positioning of components of the Honda engine.

Here is a direct Google translation of a section of the article with regards to the exhaust layout:
"The exhaust manifold 3 , the output from the cylinders , are joined in the manifold that is directed toward the turbine set well back and is attached to the cylinder block."

It also says Prodromou is still studying the concept of exhaust blowing even though the FIA rules prevent it.
Prodromou and his staff are still looking at interesting ways of exploiting exhaust gas and hot air from the radiators to create downforce at the rear of the car. This is why last years butterfly suspension will not be used.
The car will initially use the new Red Bull inspired front wing seen in practice at Abu Dhabi. From autosport forum.