Mclaren MP4-29H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Coefficient

Mclaren MP4-29H

With the interim MP4-29H hitting the track tomorrow what will we glean about next year's design from this Frankenstein racer?
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

the EDGE

Re: Mclaren MP4-29H

Coefficient wrote:With the interim MP4-29H hitting the track tomorrow what will we glean about next year's design from this Frankenstein racer?
I suspect the 29H is exactly what the name suggests... a standard 29 modified to use the Honda PU.

I doubt the car will look substantially different from the outside as the test is not at all about performance, but is suppose the side pods & engine covers may differ a little to accommodate a new internal layout. I will be very surprised if we learn anything from tomorrow, although I do hope we at least get to hear what the Honda PU sounds like but I'm not sure McLaren are willing to give that away yet,

FW17

So can people get to silverstone or is it going to be a closed like the Merc Pirelli test?

Hovepeter

dont you think the butterfly suspension would be gone? that they will try totally other design on the backend? :D

the EDGE

Hovepeter wrote:dont you think the butterfly suspension would be gone? that they will try totally other design on the backend? :D
No I don't, that's much more likely to be tried in Abu double where they will be looking at performance. Remember back to the first day of winter testing this year, some cars never even got on track.

There will be no chance of performance testing the engine tomorrow let alone any aero parts or correlation work. they also have a limit of 100k and show tyres, tomorrow is purely instillation & systems checks to ensure they get it out of the way to try to ensure they don't have any nasty surprises at next years first test.

Tomorrow will give them 10 weeks to find solutions if they encounter problems, invaluable time in my opinion which is why I am so pleased to hear this is happening. I guess this news also puts the breaks on any rumours about Honda being behind schedule and all that :wink:

Thunder

turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

ParkerArt

I can't see the car being too different from the normal MP4-29. The engine are regulated to having the same mounting points. It's not completely plug-and-play but the hardware should fit under the normal bodywork from the start of the season.

Thunder

Well after all it will just be a shakedown and a filming Day. No need for Aerodynamics and latest cooling Specs. Better to stick as close as possible to the MP4-29 to get as much comparsion to the Merc PU as possible.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

ian_s

Thunders wrote:Well after all it will just be a shakedown and a filming Day. No need for Aerodynamics and latest cooling Specs. Better to stick as close as possible to the MP4-29 to get as much comparsion to the Merc PU as possible.
they wont need much cooling at silverstone in november, its likely to be pretty chilly!

turbof1

Nothing prevents them trying out aero updates. The PU-side of the test will be matter of getting anomalies on the radar, like abnormal internal temperatures, harvesting, brake by wire, etc. Aero is aero, and at this stage not a factor at all to the PU. You can easily gather data on the PU while gathering data on the aero as well.
#AeroFrodo

Harsha

How many laps they can run on MP4-30 H?
is there any restriction?

mikeerfol

100 km so less than 20 laps

the EDGE

turbof1 wrote:Nothing prevents them trying out aero updates.
That is of course correct, but I think they might have their hands full firing up and testing a new & complex PU. at a push they might find time for a sandwich (or perhaps more fittingly some soup given the conditions tomorrow)

I'm sure Renault were expecting their engine to run at the first test this year let alone the second, but look what happened to them. I suspect aero will be the last thing on their mind tomorrow

turbof1

the EDGE wrote:
turbof1 wrote:Nothing prevents them trying out aero updates.
That is of course correct, but I think they might have their hands full firing up and testing a new & complex PU. at a push they might find time for a sandwich (or perhaps more fittingly some soup given the conditions tomorrow)

I'm sure Renault were expecting their engine to run at the first test this year let alone the second, but look what happened to them. I suspect aero will be the last thing on their mind tomorrow
I suspect Mclaren passed any PU data from Mercedes they possibly can, to Honda. While it is not a guarantee that no issues will flicker up, I really don't believe Honda will be going down the path Renault went in winter testing.

You are right though: it'll still be a handfull to test everything they want. However again, they really don't have to pay attention to the aero at all. Just bolt the stuff on and let it gather data. They don't need to pay attention to the aero really, they can look at what got gathered on data afterwards.
#AeroFrodo

sectionate

I doubt they will test new aero at this point, that will just add complexity to an already complex test. There main aim is to get the engine running, and then benchmark it against the known quantity that is the current car. I wouldn't be surprised if they put in one or two laps of Silverstone in the current car to have something to compare against.

Edit: If they are allowed to do that..?

Double Edit: Just realised they are only allowed to run one car.