Red Bull Renault RB11 speculation thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Cub
Cub

Re: Red Bull Renault RB11 speculation thread

Moose wrote:
Cub wrote:
Blackout wrote:Log manifolds + classic turbo layout => the compressor is sandwiched between two very hot manifolds. :-k Interesting.
850hp => 43% thermal efficiency which is hard to believe (Williams confirms in the last F1 racing that fuel heat content is around 43MJ/kg)
No offense, but you need to check your math.

Assume LHV = 44MJ/kg. This is the same LHV of diesel, which is 6% higher than petrol and a good guess for F1 fuel. They may go higher, but not astronomically...
You're both out. Typical pump gasoline energy density is 44.4MJ/kg. Assuming your 6% margin F1 gasoline could be around 47MJ/kg. Given that...

47 * 0.278 = 1.305MW
Without KERS
690 * 745.7 = 514.5MW

Efficiency = 39.4%
You're quoting Higher Heating Value. I would argue Lower Heating Value is more appropriate as we are not building a system that is condensing the water vapor in the exhaust into liquid (and recouping the heat of vaporization).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_of_combustion

Without KERS I'm sure Mercedes 2014 was above 690hp and for 2015 I bet it's higher. Mid 40s for thermal efficiency seems like where they are at, which... is quite damn impressive.

mikeerfol

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Nah, look how low it is compared to the wheels. It's a similar shape but way lower.

dmjunqueira

(From RBR facebook page)

gandharva

RB10

tranquility2k4
tranquility2k4

Well thejudge13 here: http://thejudge13.com/2015/01/30/f1-fea ... -see-here/

Is claiming RB will have a camoflauge zebra-style livery on launch and will just drive out the garage. He has also hinted it may just be the RB10. Then there's the fact they have been rumoured to have not passed crash tests. Maybe they will pretend to release the RB11, but it will really be the RB10 in a zebra livery.

PlatinumZealot

Cub wrote:
Moose wrote:
Cub wrote:
No offense, but you need to check your math.

Assume LHV = 44MJ/kg. This is the same LHV of diesel, which is 6% higher than petrol and a good guess for F1 fuel. They may go higher, but not astronomically...
You're both out. Typical pump gasoline energy density is 44.4MJ/kg. Assuming your 6% margin F1 gasoline could be around 47MJ/kg. Given that...

47 * 0.278 = 1.305MW
Without KERS
690 * 745.7 = 514.5MW

Efficiency = 39.4%
You're quoting Higher Heating Value. I would argue Lower Heating Value is more appropriate as we are not building a system that is condensing the water vapor in the exhaust into liquid (and recouping the heat of vaporization).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_of_combustion

Without KERS I'm sure Mercedes 2014 was above 690hp and for 2015 I bet it's higher. Mid 40s for thermal efficiency seems like where they are at, which... is quite damn impressive.
But how do you know the heating value of the fuel they are using? None of us know.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

gandharva

Red Bull has confirmed that Daniel Ricciardo will debut the squad's new Renault-powered RB11 at Jerez on Sunday.

The outfit admitted earlier in the week that the RB11 had been a 'late build' and had yet to give the car an official launch date.

On Friday evening the team confirmed that the RB11 will make its public debut in the hands of Ricciardo, before new team-mate Daniil Kvyat samples the car on Monday.

Ricciardo will return to the cockpit on Tuesday before Kvyat brings the four-day test to a close on Wednesday.
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/321421/

ME4ME

From Pedrolito on Autosport:

Moose
Moose

Dan Fallows' interview is an interesting one, and suggests that RBR are in a really bad place. When you're trying to optimise code, and you look at it in the profiler, and you see a tiny bit of time being spent on 100000000 different things, you know you're in trouble. You can't optimise any one of those things and get a big gain, you just have to look at every one of those 100000000 different places and see if you can gain 1ms at each of them. Sure you can make some gains, but they're not large, and its hugely time consuming to find anything.

RedBull appear to be in exactly that situation with their car. The car works at 99% of its ability absolutely everywhere... time to micro-optimise every single surface.

Not good.

Thunder

turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Hobbs04
Hobbs04

Go thank the person who got you interested in F1, otherwise you might be on NFLtechnical reading about footballs and psi.

I love this part of the season.

timbo
timbo

Moose wrote:RedBull appear to be in exactly that situation with their car. The car works at 99% of its ability absolutely everywhere... time to micro-optimise every single surface.

Not good.
IMO almost everyone is in similar situations. Big performance gains are currently at the drivertrain side and not much is left at the chassis/aero. Small improvements/optimisations is where it's at for everyone -- notice that most of the new cars we've seen are described as conservative or "back-to-basics".
However, for us as viewers it potentially offers a tenser competition. At least between same-engined teams.

Leon
Leon

hope to see shorter nose RB11 a-la Mercedes, Lotus or at least Williams.
"Clouds now and again
give a soul some respite from
moon-gazing-behold."

Matsuo Basho

Juzh

Leon wrote:hope to see shorter nose RB11 a-la Mercedes, Lotus or at least Williams.
Why?