Sauber C34 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
turbof1

Sauber C34 Speculation Thread

This is the speculation thread about the 2015 car. Rumors, articles, ideas and fantasies about the car can be posted here. Once the car gets officially launched, this thread will be closed and discussion continues in the official thread.
#AeroFrodo

scarbs

Re: Sauber C34 Speculation Thread

Money is tight at sauber, like last year, the team will have to go early with whatever concepts showed the promise early in the R&D process that wont break the bank. Thus its likely we'll see a lot of conceptual carry over from the 014 car.

The nose will not be a short one as Lotus tested due to crash test requirements, so there'll be a narrow rounded thumb nose, different to the wide flat marussia nose.

The Ferrari PU will be kicking out more heat as they ease off the packaging compromises forced into the 014 PU and aim for more power, thus sidepods will be bigger.

bill shoe

I think they'll take the lousy 2014 car and make only the minimum necessary modifications to be legal for 2015. They are guaranteed a 9th place spot in constructors for 2015. It seems unlikely they have the ability to overtake Toro Rosso or whoever for 8th, and the payoff difference would be quite small anyway. Therefore no incentive whatsoever in 2015 beyond showing up at all the races. Will be interesting to see what characters buy the Friday practice rides.

aleks_ader

"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

dren

I hope they sort out the poor handling characteristics the C33 seemed to have. The upgraded Ferrari unit should help a bit, too.

It's sad, Sauber used to be one of the teams with some really innovative and interesting aero concepts.
Honda!

FrukostScones

from autosport forums:
Sauber uses (new) drivers' money to pay its (old) debts

http://grandepremio.uol.com.br/f1/notic ... e-material

- All of (or at least great part of) Ericsson's, Nasr's and FIA's payments used for previous debts;

- C34 is severely underdeveloped;

- At some point, the C34 production had to be interrupted due to lack of materials;

- Drivers' money combined: EUR 40 millions;

- FIA prize money: EUR 10 millions;

- Ferrari used Sauber's windtunnel in order to sweet the engine debt. The Italian team keeps supplying PUs despite of their late payments;

- Sauber didn't have money to redevelop front aero in 2014, this being indicated by the technical team as one of the three major problems: Ferrari PU, car overweight and front aero (the nose, to be more specific);

- Inside the team the talking is realistic: C34 will be the worst car of the 2015 season;
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

gandharva

I fear Sauber will be out of F1 sooner rather than later... :(

Manoah2u

I fear that with this situation going on, I don't think Sauber is going to make the last race of 2015 - hell, they might not even make the grid like this :wtf:
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Thunder

Would be a shame if Sauber wouldn't make it....
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

PlatinumZealot

Sauber are smart enough not to spend more than they can afford. They will roll into the 2015 season accepting their fates as back markers than to spend on futile development. I am half expecting a C33 to drive in the first races.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

skoop

i hope they can break the cycle (no money -> bad car -> no points -> no money).
do we have a launchdate for their car yet?

sauberfan

I would wait and see if this rumours are really true. So far, there are no english sites reporting about it. Lets hope that it is not true.

@skoop: We do not have a official launch date. auto-motor-sport.de says that the launch of the C34 will be on 1st february.

Vasconia

Very sad news indeed, as it has been said Sauber used to have good and interesting ideas when they develope cars. I hope that this situation can be reversed.

Facts Only

I wonder how the jump in the value of the Swiss Franc is affecting them? If their suppliers are largely in the £/Euro zones then at least there money will go a little further. On the other hand if they haven't been paid their prize money yet and there suppliers are largely Swiss then the money wont go nearly as far.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

sauberfan

Facts Only wrote:I wonder how the jump in the value of the Swiss Franc is affecting them? If their suppliers are largely in the £/Euro zones then at least there money will go a little further. On the other hand if they haven't been paid their prize money yet and there suppliers are largely Swiss then the money wont go nearly as far.
This article is form the last "crisis" of the year 2011. I guess that these conclusions can be drawn to the current situation as well, though. Doesnt look good :(