Williams FW37 Mercedes Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
turbof1

Williams FW37 Mercedes Speculation Thread

This is the speculation thread about the 2015 car. Rumors, articles, ideas and fantasies about the car can be posted here. Once the car gets officially launched, this thread will be closed and discussion continues in the official thread.
#AeroFrodo

roadie

Re: Williams FW37 Mercedes Speculation Thread

Wonder if the team will retain the same low drag philosophy with the undercut sidepods?

dren

I don't expect much to change on the Williams. Probably a longer front nose with a slight extension. The front wing may see a few new developments. They have used the same cooling exit for a while, I don't see that changing. They will probably try to come up with some more flexible suspension set-ups to aid in wet weather performance. I expect the engine cover and side pods to be a bit tighter. Overall the only major difference will likely be the livery scheme. They have some new sponsors jumping on board. I hope the Martini livery stands out more rather than the spartan stripes.
Honda!

gandharva

First of all they need to find downforce. This was the biggest deficit in 2014.

Sevach

They are in a position to copy some Merc solutions such as the intercooler between the engine and fuel tank (should allow for tighter sidepods) and gearbox.

triptube

The self-developed gearbox is bombproof !
The Mercedes gearbox had since some reliability issues
There will be Alterations many small details and everything will be adjusted in flow test on the new nose shape. The side pods will continue to be, very strong undercut. The cooling air outlet will continue to be maintained so should only be improved again in detail. Have this year, in the sense already seen this several different versions.

Sevach

triptube wrote:The self-developed gearbox is bombproof !
The Mercedes gearbox had since some reliability issues
What i meant is that they could copy this concept, not simply buying a Merc box.

triptube

OK. now I understand it !

fw37

[-o< I hope to be fw37 distinctive

victoratex

i hope they will copy the conception of the merc's turbo

Moose

victoratex wrote:i hope they will copy the conception of the merc's turbo
What concept? Do you mean the split turbo? Because they already had that (having the Merc engine) in 2014.

triptube

"The first real novelty there on January 22 from Williams to see if Felipe Massa and Valtteri Bottas unveil the FW37."

Yesterday from motorsport-total .com

LookBackTime

Bruce Thomson @thomsonstudioF1 Jan 10

My final #f1 concept for the year - the #Williams FW37. Hope you like it - Enjoy!

LookBackTime

A far neater look at the front of F1 cars in 2015 – Bottas

Valtteri Bottas thinks the odd look of formula one cars is about to end.

Last year, unseemly ‘anteater’, ‘vacuum cleaner’, ‘walrus-tusked’ and other descriptively-derided solutions filled the grid as designers made the most of the new aerodynamic rules and loopholes.

Those regulations have been tidied up for 2015, and Williams’ Bottas thinks the outcome will result in “a far neater look” at the front of all the cars this year.

“The rules are quite strict now,” he is quoted by the Finnish broadcaster MTV3, “so I think they will all be basically similar.

“I do not think we will see any more unusual solutions,” Bottas added.

The minimum weight of the cars has also been slightly lifted, at the same time as designers get to grips with the radical set of regulations that arrived last year.

It means drivers can now relax slightly, after drastically dieting this time a year ago.

“I have set a certain (personal) weight limit,” said Bottas, “but the situation is not as bad as last year. But it’s true that some other teams had bigger problems than we ever did.” (GMM)

source: http://thisisf1.com/2015/01/13/far-neat ... 15-bottas/

Sevach

LookBackTime wrote:Bruce Thomson @thomsonstudioF1 Jan 10

My final #f1 concept for the year - the #Williams FW37. Hope you like it - Enjoy!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B7A9V3VCUAAbQ4t.jpg:large
That's a pretty cool look, but i don't think the 37 will look anything like that.

And Williams already said Rexona goes on the sidepods.