Williams FW37 Mercedes Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
GPR-A duplicate2

Re: Williams FW37 Mercedes Speculation Thread

Cuky wrote:
ParkerArt wrote:
LookBackTime wrote:Tobias Grüner F1 @tgruener
· 2h 2 hours ago

#F1 Lotus & Force India to run 2014-spec Mercedes engine at Jerez. Merc AMG & Williams test 2015 upgrade parts. AMuS: http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 77520.html
Do you think Williams paid more or that Lotus and Force India were offered a discount from Mercedes HPP? I can't see Mercedes needing to 2014 engines as a baseline so I am thinking that either Lotus and FI didn't want to spend the cash for a power unit that likely isn't going to be the 2015 engine used at Melbourne or that Mercedes didn't want to built more that a few pre-2015 development engines and offered Lotus and Force India a deal 2014-spec units.

Well, Force India will run VJM07 at first test. It is easier to just use 2014 PU in 2014 car than to modify 2014 car for 2015 PU for one test. And if you consider that there were rumors that Force India was in financial problems last year it makes sense. As for Lotus, I don't have a clue why they would be running with 2014 PU
Other than a good tour to Spain for a number of engineers and mechanics, what on earth would you achieve by running last year's car, this Winter. Especially, when you didn't do much on the car due to budgetary reasons for the whole of second half last year. If they have financial problem, better avoid the first test altogether and save lots of $$$. Jerez isn't an ideal test track for anything other than the system checks and to see if your new car has any gremlins. If you are not running, a new car, better stay at factory and concentrate on new car. There isn't any news from Pirelli either, saying they have significantly changed their compounds, which you can then test and get some data in comparison to last year's tyres. If anything, the first winter test is useful for new cars.

dren

With that logic, why would any of the cars run at the year end test?
Honda!

GPR-A duplicate2

dren wrote:With that logic, why would any of the cars run at the year end test?
Well, it was always termed as Young Drivers' test and THAT IS THE BASIC PHILOSOPHY, to test young talent. But unfortunately, F1 is a very expensive sport and hence, teams have to take this opportunity to test certain parts from next year's car. Hence the year end test.

dren

GPR-A wrote:
Well, it was always termed as Young Drivers' test and THAT IS THE BASIC PHILOSOPHY, to test young talent. But unfortunately, F1 is a very expensive sport and hence, teams have to take this opportunity to test certain parts from next year's car. Hence the year end test.
So then they are probably testing 2015 parts in Jerez, even if they are running 2014 cars.
Honda!

Callum

I don't believe that they are running last years car - just last years engine.
Cuky wrote:
ParkerArt wrote:
LookBackTime wrote:Tobias Grüner F1 @tgruener
· 2h 2 hours ago

#F1 Lotus & Force India to run 2014-spec Mercedes engine at Jerez. Merc AMG & Williams test 2015 upgrade parts. AMuS: http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 77520.html
Do you think Williams paid more or that Lotus and Force India were offered a discount from Mercedes HPP? I can't see Mercedes needing to 2014 engines as a baseline so I am thinking that either Lotus and FI didn't want to spend the cash for a power unit that likely isn't going to be the 2015 engine used at Melbourne or that Mercedes didn't want to built more that a few pre-2015 development engines and offered Lotus and Force India a deal 2014-spec units.

Well, Force India will run VJM07 at first test. It is easier to just use 2014 PU in 2014 car than to modify 2014 car for 2015 PU for one test. And if you consider that there were rumors that Force India was in financial problems last year it makes sense. As for Lotus, I don't have a clue why they would be running with 2014 PU

Thunder

Callum wrote:I don't believe that they are running last years car - just last years engine.
They do. The VJM08's first test will be on the 19th February in Barcelona.

And what sense would it make to test a 2015 Car with a 2014 Engine?
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

GPR-A duplicate2

dren wrote:
GPR-A wrote:
So then they are probably testing 2015 parts in Jerez, even if they are running 2014 cars.
Yeah right. But when they didn't do any development on 2014 car, almost whole of second half last year, what parts of 2015 will they test this winter? If they would have tested 2015 parts in young drivers test, it would have at least given them time to go back and work on their findings. Second Winter test is not too far either and now if they test something on old car, I am not sure if they can translate it into any meaningful way on new car. This I am talking, specifically for Force India.

aleks_ader

GPR-A wrote:
dren wrote:Yeah right. But when they didn't do any development on 2014 car, almost whole of second half last year, what parts of 2015 will they test this winter? If they would have tested 2015 parts in young drivers test, it would have at least given them time to go back and work on their findings. Second Winter test is not too far either and now if they test something on old car, I am not sure if they can translate it into any meaningful way on new car. This I am talking, specifically for Force India.
After aero correlation problems under yaw situations is more than a welcome to do some CFD and PU mapping work. Same for Williams.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

PlatinumZealot

Thunders wrote:
Callum wrote:I don't believe that they are running last years car - just last years engine.
They do. The VJM08's first test will be on the 19th February in Barcelona.

And what sense would it make to test a 2015 Car with a 2014 Engine?
To test the handling of the car and other systems.... Remember the mounting points are standard. And you can still test radiators, exhausts, differentials, fuel tank, aerodynamics, your wiring etc..
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Got this post from other forum. Credit to the user: BOND

FW37:

vs.
FW36:

Amazing how it seems we've moved the FW37's nose back even further from the lowest horizontal front wing plane vs. last year's FW36.

It looks like the 37's nose pillars are just glued to the lower horizontal wing whereas the FW36's pillars are on top of the lower plane!

fw37
fw37

Good afternoon ، Through Pictures The car looks a beautiful =D>

djos

fw37 wrote:Good afternoon ، Through Pictures The car looks a beautiful =D>
Best looking car so far!. :-)
"In downforce we trust"

Francesc
Francesc

I agree. It's very impressive they've managed to pass the front crash tests with that nose. =D>

Alexgtt
Alexgtt

Agreed, I really like the 37. They're applying the RB evolution not revolution approach. OK the nose isn't the prettiest but Williams need to be winning and winning ugly isn't any disgrace!

I like the way they've finely honed that so tight rear end design over quite a few years now. If they can feed that area well from the front end it's always going to produce.

Polemik
Polemik

Interesting technical comparison of FW37 vs. FW36 - nice pics !! :

http://en.f1i.com/magazine/304-tech-foc ... -fw37.html

and even more ...

https://albrodpulf1.wordpress.com/2015/ ... s-tecnico/
(original article in Spanish)

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... edit-text=
(translated into English)

Enjoy ! :wink: