Scuderia Ferrari SF15-T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
zioture
zioture

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF15-T

Gallery day 2 Ferrari

more here

http://www.newsf1.it/test-f1-austria-day-2-foto/

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

OmniCorse is reporting a change to the main turning vane beside sidepods in Austria testing.

Article can be found Here

zioture
zioture

TechF1

nobody noticed that new detail ? :D

f1316
f1316

Probably an overly simplistic thought, but my initial reaction is that it's a positive sign to see Ferrari working on the area.

I may well be wrong, but I got the impression that they developed the lowest drag monkey seat they could and then were unable to do more in that area for fear of additional drag. The fact that they're working on it now implies to me that the additional horsepower has meant a more substantial monkey seat is now possible and this one looks chunkier (technical word ;)

Again, my perception is that Mercedes were able to exploit this area with huge monkey seats because they had a power advantage.

evered7
evered7

f1316 wrote:Probably an overly simplistic thought, but my initial reaction is that it's a positive sign to see Ferrari working on the area.

I may well be wrong, but I got the impression that they developed the lowest drag monkey seat they could and then were unable to do more in that area for fear of additional drag. The fact that they're working on it now implies to me that the additional horsepower has meant a more substantial monkey seat is now possible and this one looks chunkier (technical word ;)

Again, my perception is that Mercedes were able to exploit this area with huge monkey seats because they had a power advantage.
So this is all to increase rear downforce? If so, Kimi will have lesser spins starting from British GP? Vettel to be even more comfortable with a more sticky rear of the car?

Will be great if someone can clarify.
Sorry if I am wrong.

f1316
f1316

My understanding is that monkey seats don't necessarily create downforce but can help with stability and therefore increase driver confidence. Could be useful for kimi therefore but I understood after Canada that his issue is more a software one related to start/first lap out of the pits (which would correlate with Austria incident).

Someone cleverer can explain why that's what a monkey seat does though.

GPR-A duplicate2

TechF1 wrote:Image
nobody noticed that new detail ? :D
So Mr. Allison has brought his monkey seat.
Lotus E22

TechF1

GPR-A wrote: So Mr. Allison has brought his monkey seat.
Mr De Beer did... :lol:

Italiano
Italiano

As they said...Beer followed Raikkonnen to Ferrari. :D
#Forza Michael #Forza Jules

fawe4
fawe4

evered7 wrote:
f1316 wrote:Probably an overly simplistic thought, but my initial reaction is that it's a positive sign to see Ferrari working on the area.

So this is all to increase rear downforce? If so, Kimi will have lesser spins starting from British GP? Vettel to be even more comfortable with a more sticky rear of the car?

Will be great if someone can clarify.
Sorry if I am wrong.
It's more df, but at a fair drag penalty. It's a good sign of them trusting their enginepower. But we're talking about slight gains ether way.

bhall II
bhall II

f1316 wrote:Someone cleverer can explain why that's what a monkey seat does though.
Not at all cleverererererer...

It's less about downforce and more about "linking" the diffuser and the rear wing. In that way, a monkey seat helps "drive" both.

Its upwash helps air flow remain attached to the underside of the rear wing, and its low-pressure wake helps draw out more air flow from the diffuser. It's like a little beam wing.

Designers are increasingly orienting them with the exhaust in order to energize the effects with exhaust gasses.

turbof1

I kind of agree and disagree... I agree with both suggestions that it is there to create downforce (on its own) and to link the diffuser with the rear wing. I disagree where the emphasis lies. I personally believe that it depends from circuit to circuit since a few teams only bother using it on a low speed circuit like Monaco, while the benefits of airflow attachment are more pronounced on high speed circuits. Some teams do run a monkey seat on for instance Barcelona, but in a much more simple state.
#AeroFrodo

bhall II
bhall II

Though the exact implementation is circuit-dependent (obviously), I think the intent is probably always the same.

With regard to the rear wing: it combats the effects of normal span-wise flow that tend to reduce the dynamic pressure of air flow under the wing along its central-most section. It's a problem exacerbated by the presence of support pylons that can cause separation on their own.

Remember when Lotus tried to exploit this behavior with passive DDRS?

F1 aero used to be a lot of fun

With regard to the diffuser: any sort of low-pressure wake will increase the size of the "pocket" into which upwash from the diffuser is directed. That's why we see teams take advantage of the free 7.5cm on either side of the car's centerline to affix elements that increase the size of the wake, especially near the diffuser.

EDIT: It's also why brake ducts have so many elements.

We saw a precursor to the monkey seat at Monza in 2010, and teams ran them last year in Belgium. Those circuits are hardly downforce-critical.

That said, I think the monkey seat is probably the most overhyped feature of a car. Because they're very visible and tend to change frequently, people talk about them too much.

In my view, they exist because, "why not?" And they're continually optimized because F1 engineers would optimize fart delivery if given the opportunity.
Last edited by bhall II on 28 Jun 2015, 12:05, edited 2 times in total.

turbof1

We saw a precursor to the monkey seat at Monza in 2010, and teams ran them last year in Belgium. Those circuits are hardly downforce-critical.
Ben, monkey seats date much further back then just 2010. I believe they even got ran in the early 2000's, albeit only on circuits like Monaco.

I think on high speed circuits they are there to keep the airflow attached, but on the lower speed circuits they are there mainly to produce that tiny bit of extra downforce.
#AeroFrodo