Scuderia Ferrari SF15-T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
McMrocks
McMrocks

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF15-T

On the right side more hot air gets in touch with the rim, resulting in more heat in the right tyre which is the inner tyre at most of the corners.

I don't know whether it is for this reason or rather for cooling purposes. It wouldn't make much sense to have better cooling for the inner brakes. Do you know whether these photos were taken at the same time?

bergie88
bergie88

timbo wrote:Interesting they could up their game come qualifying. Something which didn't happen to them often this season.
Indeed, the havent been this close to Mercedes in qualy this season, precisely at the fastest track of the year. Quite nice, lets hope they can challenge them also in the race. Concerning the used tokens, maybe they changed the size of the wastegate or the battery to better exploit the qualy mode?

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

McMrocks wrote:On the right side more hot air gets in touch with the rim, resulting in more heat in the right tyre which is the inner tyre at most of the corners.

I don't know whether it is for this reason or rather for cooling purposes. It wouldn't make much sense to have better cooling for the inner brakes. Do you know whether these photos were taken at the same time?
Giorgio Piola is the one who wrote about the asymmetric brake baskets. It's on OmniCorse right now, but Piola does all the tech articles on the official F1 site, so I'm sure there will be a write up about it on F1.com soon. I'm not sure if the images were taken the same day, but he's in pit lane so he's sure they're asymmetric.

http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/64343/ ... -anteriore

motobaleno

Silent Storm wrote:Are they trying something new like experimenting low downforce on one car and high downforce on other. Trying high downforce will mean better cornering at Biassono, Lesmo and Parabolica and late braking too.
Biassono is easily flat out even with a low downforce setting.
you cannot improve there

diemaster
diemaster

According to AMuS via toto Ferrari now have a qualifying mode.
what is this mode?

aral
aral

diemaster wrote:
According to AMuS via toto Ferrari now have a qualifying mode.
what is this mode?
its called kimi.

Advino116
Advino116

McMrocks wrote:On the right side more hot air gets in touch with the rim, resulting in more heat in the right tyre which is the inner tyre at most of the corners.

I think it's less for cooling the brakes and more for controlling the temperature of the tyres. Monza is most right hand corners, and especially for long right handers like Parabolica, the front left gets very hot. Keeping the heat from the brakes away helps preventing the front left from overheating, and venting the front right brake heat onto the rim prevents the front right tyre from cooling too much

McMrocks
McMrocks

Advino116 wrote:

I think it's less for cooling the brakes and more for controlling the temperature of the tyres. Monza is most right hand corners, and especially for long right handers like Parabolica, the front left gets very hot. Keeping the heat from the brakes away helps preventing the front left from overheating, and venting the front right brake heat onto the rim prevents the front right tyre from cooling too much
This is what i was thinking too. It's the only thing that makes sense as it is an clockwise circuit

bhall II
bhall II

For a circuit dominated by very hard braking through right-hand corners...

Source: Brembo

...it makes sense to me to keep the front-right brake a bit cooler than the optimum in order to reduce the risk of lockups.
Racecar Engineering, F1 2014 Explained: Brake systems wrote:”Carbon-carbon brakes possess very particular properties. A carbon brake has relatively poor performance below about 400°C and has optimum braking performance above 650°C...”

Though not nearly as potent, it's perhaps roughly the same principle as Benetton/BAR's front torque transfer systems...
Racecar Engineering, F1 Secrets: Front torque transfer wrote:The technical high spot during the 2004 Formula 1 season was BAR's use of a front torque transfer system on its cars. This was a unit on the front of the chassis that linked both front wheels via driveshafts. It helped balance the braking forces, allowing the driver to brake later into a corner and with more confidence...

[Benetton did it first in 1998-99.]

The main problem [Benetton] was trying to counter was the tendency for the front wheel to lock under braking while turning into a corner. ”The limitation comes from locking the inside wheel,” explains Symonds. “The minute the inside wheel locks up, the car understeers at that point and misses the apex. With FTT you are able to keep that wheel turning by transferring torque across to it. The driver can go into the corner deeper, with more confidence and not miss apexes.”

Benetton tackled the problem by linking the front wheels via a viscous coupling, effectively a fluid differential. “You could, say, just have a solid axle,” notes Symonds, “but in a tight corner with the outside wheel turning faster than the inside it will lead to understeer. By carefully tuning the viscous diff we were able to put what I call a dead band in it. In other words, you could have an amount of speed difference. But when that differential was exceeded then the diff started to lock up very progressively and kept the inside wheel turning.”

Working with GKN and Xtrac it designed and built a unit that would give the right slip characteristics, and that was used for much of the 1999 season with varying degrees of success. “It was a little bit circuit specific,” Symonds recalls. ”There are some circuits where you don’t do a great deal of braking into corners and some where you do quite a lot. So the gains would change from circuit to circuit. I think we pretty firmly established that at its best circuit it could be worth three tenths of a second.”

[...]
Off the wall? Probably.

outsid3r

Sky F1 Italy confirm that ferrari is mounting asymmetrical brake covers - the right side containg ducts to help the tyre warm up quckly

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

@ bh post
this seems to me a good chance to air these points .....

5.8 g is presumably in significant part aero drag and mechanical drag from tyres
the peak frictional and electromagnetic braking total (maybe 4.5 g) is what attests to the 'roadholding' grip

177 kg brake pedal force is on a par with the 400 lb quoted for Graham Hill 50+ years ago (though Ritchie Ginther managed ok ?)
but we are now supposed to think the larger drivers are at a disadvantage ?
granted these pedal forces are brief peaks that fall as the DF falls - unlike the old days where there was probably lift not DF

btw - response to bh post following this - no, I don't
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 06 Sep 2015, 18:47, edited 1 time in total.

bhall II
bhall II

Do you think my speculation is centered around the notion that I think current drivers are somehow unable to apply enough pedal force? It's not.

Since carbon-carbon brakes work best at high temperatures, my idea is that the vents on the right-front brake cover deliberately slow down the rate in which the disc/pads within reach optimal temperature under braking. If so, it would briefly reduce the brake's friction coefficient by a small percentage relative to the left brake, and that would make it less likely to lock up as load shifts away from it through right-hand corners.

I have no clue if this is actually feasible, because I know jack --- about tribology. But, if it is, it would allow drivers to apply more pedal force deeper into corners with lower risk of understeer. At a track like Monza, those characteristics would seem to be very advantageous.

In other words, I think it's "one-wheel thermal ABS." (But, it's probably not.)

zioture
zioture

bhall II
bhall II

Tommy Cookers wrote:but we are now supposed to think the larger drivers are at a disadvantage ?
I'm still unsure what you mean by that.

timbo
timbo

bhall II wrote:Since carbon-carbon brakes work best at high temperatures, my idea is that the vents on the right-front brake cover deliberately slow down the rate in which the disc/pads within reach optimal temperature under braking. If so, it would briefly reduce the brake's friction coefficient by a small percentage relative to the left brake, and that would make it less likely to lock up as load shifts away from it through right-hand corners.

I have no clue if this is actually feasible, because I know jack --- about tribology. But, if it is, it would allow drivers to apply more pedal force deeper into corners with lower risk of understeer. At a track like Monza, those characteristics would seem to be very advantageous.
If I were the driver I would not want any braking force asymmetry at the initial application. Noone is braking and turning at the same time from the get go. It's when you ease off on the pedal when locking becomes a problem.