Scuderia Ferrari SF15-T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Cale24
Cale24

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF15-T

FlYiNgIcEmAn wrote:
Cale24 wrote:New wing, old nose. Odd plan to me...
AMuS wrote some days ago that Ferrari didn't found any significant benefits from the shorter nose so far.
In formula 1, what suits for other cars doesn't necessarily fit for your car and make it faster.
Its been widely reported that Ferrari will be bringing a new nose to Melbourne.

f1316
f1316

Cale24 wrote:
FlYiNgIcEmAn wrote:
Cale24 wrote:New wing, old nose. Odd plan to me...
AMuS wrote some days ago that Ferrari didn't found any significant benefits from the shorter nose so far.
In formula 1, what suits for other cars doesn't necessarily fit for your car and make it faster.
Its been widely reported that Ferrari will be bringing a new nose to Melbourne.
It has but also been plenty of articles stating that whilst they're evaluating different options, they don't see any major benefit in the shorter nose.

It's odd because others - Williams, Toro Rosso - have been saying how much benefit there is in the shorter nose, but also in line with what Allison was saying last year.

Time will tell, I guess.

f300v10
f300v10

Open images in new tab for full size
The upper flaps are of the same or similar design to those used last year, and the endplates are derivative of the interim 2015 wing now with the addition of the strake. The mainplain is all new, as are the cascade and turning vain. The end result looks like a mashup of the interim wing and the Mercedes.
Last edited by f300v10 on 27 Feb 2015, 16:04, edited 1 time in total.

turbof1

f300v10 wrote:Open images in new tab for full size
The upper flaps are of the same or similar design to those used last year, and the endplates are derivative of the interim 2015 wing now with the addition of the strake. The mainplain is all new, as are the cascade and turning vain. The end result looks like a mashup of the interim wing and the Mercedes.
http://img3.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Seb ... 846872.jpg
http://www.formula1.com/wi/enlarge/sutt ... 7fe104.jpg
http://www.formula1.com/wi/enlarge/sutt ... 7fe130.jpg
Seems they also reshaped all the elements in front of the wheel. Last year they had 7 elements there. They new reduced the 3 elements on the main plane to 2 and enlarged those, plus integrated last year's middle flap into the main plane. The elements also bent much more outwards. Last year they couldn't do that as much, since their endplate limited the space (the last element was also integrated into the endplate).
Here is my article on the F14T front wing, with drawings to make comparing easier: http://www.f1technical.net/features/19217

The cascades are heavily influenced by Mercedes as you said. Even though the main cascade features winglets that aren't so much copied from Merc, notice how its support is bended. Does this ring a bell?
http://f1tcdn.net/images/features/2014/ ... rence2.jpg

The turning vane cascade obviously is also Merc's, but without the small cutout/detailing of the pylon.

I've noticed teams are converging onto 2 paths: one inspired by Mercedes, and one other by Red Bull, although most have a blend of the 2. Ferrari last year had their own typical style, with endplates and cascades of their own philosophy, which they seem to have dropped.
#AeroFrodo

zioture
zioture

Comparison new front wing vs Old

SimBot

zioture wrote:Comparison new front wing vs Old

https://scontent-mxp.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot ... e=554F9BD0
Brake ducts are also new !

f300v10
f300v10

SimBot wrote:
zioture wrote:Comparison new front wing vs Old

https://scontent-mxp.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot ... e=554F9BD0
Brake ducts are also new !

http://i.imgur.com/uI2vJMy.jpg
Yes, they has less curve on the leading edge and appear shorter.

Ferraripilot

The additional element in the main plane will yield a bit more but it still appears less refined as compared to others whose elements on the main plane extend inward all the way to the reference plane thus yielding an even longer element this area of attack. Nice design but I believe we will see ferrari update this a bit further throughout the season.

fawe4
fawe4

Ferraripilot wrote:The additional element in the main plane will yield a bit more but it still appears less refined as compared to others whose elements on the main plane extend inward all the way to the reference plane thus yielding an even longer element this area of attack. Nice design but I believe we will see ferrari update this a bit further throughout the season.
I believe they are lacking in carbon department compared to Mercedes and RB. And it's mainly in shaping it into small details. Just compare new camera mounts on Merc and Ferrari. They started with same initial design that was rejected by FIA, so they had exactly the same time to come with a new ones. Both share same philosophy, both were rushjobs, both may still be rejected in later time, and aero gain appears to be very low, so they really weren't high on to-do list. Still, Mercs is clearly more refined.

Ferraripilot

I conjecture that's a difficult design to get right and pass the bend test with.

turbof1

Ferraripilot wrote:I conjecture that's a difficult design to get right and pass the bend test with.
I don't think the camera's are tested on bending. As long as it does not break off during running, it's good.

Neither do I believe Mercedes necessarily achieved more. Could very well be that Ferrari thought full width supports are aerodynamically a better choice.
#AeroFrodo

giantfan10
giantfan10

fawe4 wrote:
Ferraripilot wrote:The additional element in the main plane will yield a bit more but it still appears less refined as compared to others whose elements on the main plane extend inward all the way to the reference plane thus yielding an even longer element this area of attack. Nice design but I believe we will see ferrari update this a bit further throughout the season.
I believe they are lacking in carbon department compared to Mercedes and RB. And it's mainly in shaping it into small details. Just compare new camera mounts on Merc and Ferrari. They started with same initial design that was rejected by FIA, so they had exactly the same time to come with a new ones. Both share same philosophy, both were rushjobs, both may still be rejected in later time, and aero gain appears to be very low, so they really weren't high on to-do list. Still, Mercs is clearly more refined.
really? some of the jumps in logic made here are amazing......now mercedes has a better carbon dept than ferrari based on what? .....
could it be possible that ferrari is working on a shorter nose or a different version of the nose they have and could care less how pretty camera mounts look for mercedes fanboys?

Ferraripilot

Sorry I was referring to the main wing plane bend test; specifically that those with multi main plain elements must have a very specific carbon layup technique at work to get those things to pass whereas even ferrari's new main plane appears almost crude by comparison.

turbof1

Could be simply a first iteration to get to grips with a new aero platform. Remember, mercedes last year didn't fully extend the slot of the middle element of the main plane either during testing, only at Melbourne they introduced a wing that did.
#AeroFrodo

trinidefender
trinidefender

Ferraripilot wrote:Sorry I was referring to the main wing plane bend test; specifically that those with multi main plain elements must have a very specific carbon layup technique at work to get those things to pass whereas even ferrari's new main plane appears almost crude by comparison.
Their last wing had a full width main plane. I can guarantee you that the decision to not go with a full width main plane is an aerodynamic choice and not a structural one. Stopping the slot short of full width could have been a result of a simple decision that a full width slot was not needed to stop that portion of the wing from stalling....ergo it would produce less drag and have higher L/D numbers without the slot. That is just one idea and probably not the real reason, I was just using it to demonstrate that it probably has everything to do with a conscious aero decision.

Note. I have worked with carbon fibre (mostly in a marine application) and you wouldn't believe the strength of this stuff.