Scuderia Ferrari SF15-T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
turbof1

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF15-T

Advino116 wrote:
turbof1 wrote:I'm currently working on drawings of the wing, so I'm having my nose deep into its details - and it has lots of them.

Ferrari have dropped their overall wing philosophy in favor of a more Mercedes-alike one. However, what they did not drop is how they shape their elements in complex shapes. With most other teams I've found that they tent to use a seperate part of bodywork for sudden and drastic changes in the 3 dimensional shape surface. Ferrari however tries more to keep things within the same part. For instance their main plane is truly a masterpiece. Other teams usually connect seperate elements to the neutral section and stack them there. Ferrari however molded those into one piece, with a slot inbetween, and has a very complex shape close to the neutral section. I think they want to create spanwise flow at that region.
Not sure if they are the first to do that? I think Sauber's FW near the neutral section has the same overall shape but is even more complex than Ferrari's? I think Ferrari's should be more effective though, judging from the strength of their budget.

http://i.imgur.com/ZVX7Fen.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ksQZS5D.jpg

I'll wait till the article to see what you are referring to though. Could be you are seeing and understanding something I don't
Yes, they aren't the first doing it (didn't say that either :P). It's however not you see on most other cars. Marussia did something similar, although less complex-like shaped.

There are other things though. Like the uppermost element have at its top a very specific bend. I personally believe they are recreating the effect red bull/mclaren are creating with their strake at that same position.
#AeroFrodo

F1.Ru

turbof1 wrote:I'm currently working on drawings of the wing, so I'm having my nose deep into its details - and it has lots of them.

Ferrari have dropped their overall wing philosophy in favor of a more Mercedes-alike one. However, what they did not drop is how they shape their elements in complex shapes. With most other teams I've found that they tent to use a seperate part of bodywork for sudden and drastic changes in the 3 dimensional shape surface. Ferrari however tries more to keep things within the same part. For instance their main plane is truly a masterpiece. Other teams usually connect seperate elements to the neutral section and stack them there. Ferrari however molded those into one piece, with a slot inbetween, and has a very complex shape close to the neutral section. I think they want to create spanwise flow at that region.
Tubro what is your thinking about the endplate design of Ferrari ......... As far as i remember quoted by Gary THE anderson ............ Ferrari is lacking in that particular section from all other teams ..they are not doing or not getting enough air out side front wheels so is not getting enough air in their rear section .............. are they solved now !!!!!!!!!!!!!! happy to hear from u ......
Formula One is a game.............. but not any ordinary game for me

turbof1

It's an orgasm of aerodynamics:

Not all the way satisfied yet, and a few parts are still missing, but we are getting to a high point.

Article will follow, maybe already by next week.

@F1.Ru: I'm so glad you asked.

First of all, frankly Gary "the" Anderson is often very wrong. I'd not take his word for granted. He is implying that an endplate needs to be bent in order to be good, which I in all honesty have a laugh with. Red Bull and Mclaren for instance have even less a bend in their endplates.

In order to assess the question: we first have to understand that endplates are obligatory by regulation. If we take a look at Indycar, where the teams are allowed to run wings they developed themselves, we see that although the wing placement and dimensions are relatively comparable, they actually DROPPED the endplate in favor of shaping the wing elements in a very particular way to bent airflow around the tyre.

Indeed, if you take a recent and random F1 wing, you'll notice that if you think the endplate not being there for a moment, the outer shapes of the wings of new indycar and F1 are very reminiscent. The wing actually does a better job without an endplate due heavy utilisation of spanwise flow. Indeed, an endplate can be considered as hindrance!

My point is that endplates aren't that much of performance differentiator in the first place. They have to run them, so they'll of course try as much to optimize them as they possibly can.

That being said, Ferrari made a switch in endplate philosophy. Let's take last year's endplate:
The concept behind this endplate goes way back to 2012. Indeed, it hasn't actually changed that much at all. Over the years they had several iterations of slots in the endplate and last year they introduced the vertical slotted strake on top of it, but that's all to it. Although Ferrari seriously struggled with endplate slots due windtunnel correlation issues, they did used the ground concept until this year. Meaning this did work fine for them.

However, Ferrari probably realised it wasn't as effective anymore due the wing span being shrunk last year. It's not hard to imagine they took a good look on Mercedes their endplate and realised the better solution would be to go more simply, which messes less with the airflow structures and vortices on the front wing.
#AeroFrodo

Hovepeter
Hovepeter

F1.Ru wrote:

Tubro what is your thinking about the endplate design of Ferrari ......... As far as i remember quoted by Gary THE anderson ............ Ferrari is lacking in that particular section from all other teams ..they are not doing or not getting enough air out side front wheels so is not getting enough air in their rear section .............. are they solved now !!!!!!!!!!!!!! happy to hear from u ......
without having anyway near as as much expertise as turbof1 could give you, are this wing made to get the airflow outside the wheel. what i dont understand is how that cooperates with the blown wheel hub. the blown wheel hub would make airflow more slower outside of the wheel because of the air its transfering to the outside of the wheel, but why is this better? turbof1 can you help me? :D

turbof1

Yeah previous post of mine got an edit:
@F1.Ru: I'm so glad you asked.

First of all, frankly Gary "the" Anderson is often very wrong. I'd not take his word for granted. He is implying that an endplate needs to be bent in order to be good, which I in all honesty have a laugh with. Red Bull and Mclaren for instance have even less a bend in their endplates.

In order to assess the question: we first have to understand that endplates are obligatory by regulation. If we take a look at Indycar, where the teams are allowed to run wings they developed themselves, we see that although the wing placement and dimensions are relatively comparable, they actually DROPPED the endplate in favor of shaping the wing elements in a very particular way to bent airflow around the tyre.

Indeed, if you take a recent and random F1 wing, you'll notice that if you think the endplate not being there for a moment, the outer shapes of the wings of new indycar and F1 are very reminiscent. The wing actually does a better job without an endplate due heavy utilisation of spanwise flow. Indeed, an endplate can be considered as hindrance!

My point is that endplates aren't that much of performance differentiator in the first place. They have to run them, so they'll of course try as much to optimize them as they possibly can.

That being said, Ferrari made a switch in endplate philosophy. Let's take last year's endplate:
The concept behind this endplate goes way back to 2012. Indeed, it hasn't actually changed that much at all. Over the years they had several iterations of slots in the endplate and last year they introduced the vertical slotted strake on top of it, but that's all to it. Although Ferrari seriously struggled with endplate slots due windtunnel correlation issues, they did used the ground concept until this year. Meaning this did work fine for them.

However, Ferrari probably realised it wasn't as effective anymore due the wing span being shrunk last year. It's not hard to imagine they took a good look on Mercedes their endplate and realised the better solution would be to go more simply, which messes less with the airflow structures and vortices on the front wing.
#AeroFrodo

dren

The endplate isn't really bending the flow much, it's the several planes that curl down and outward along with the little winglets at the front edges of the wings that does the majority of the work. Like Turbo said, the endplates are mainly there for regulation reasons. They are either cut out like the Mclaren and Red Bull to allow the curving down main planes to push further to the wing edge, or they are moved away from those curves to not interfere much like with the Mercedes.
Last edited by dren on 06 Mar 2015, 15:47, edited 1 time in total.
Honda!

turbof1

dren wrote:The endplate isn't really bending the flow much, it's the several planes that curl down and outward along with the little winglets at the front edges of the wings.
Yes indeed! Let's look at a wing that has its endplate removed:
Notice that the wing elements bend outwards. They do so in a very fluent way.

Also notice the slots between the elements get bigger as we approach the back of the outside wing. This due the angle of attacks become very agressive and needs to have bigger slots in order not to stall.
#AeroFrodo

Fer.Fan
Fer.Fan

I am very interesting in layout of Ferrari PU for 2015. Anybody have some pictures?

aleks_ader

Fer.Fan wrote:I am very interesting in layout of Ferrari PU for 2015. Anybody have some pictures?
Look Sauber thread...
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Kalsi
Kalsi

A more interesting question to me is: "Are we going to see a Jerez/Bcn tests PU spec since the beginning of the season?"

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

Pedro de la Rosa to Spanish media:

"Ferrari are in good form now. The car works well and the team completed a very good pre-season. It's clear they haven't shown everything they're capable of, they ran different fuel loads than the rest. However, the car reacted well to different set-ups and looked competitive. In Jerez they were very quick, then in Barcelona they held back a little, which was obvious. In the last week of December I was still testing the car in the simulator and I knew even then this would be a good car. Later on it became clear it was good on the track as well."

So according to Pedro de la Rosa Ferrari have not shown their true pace yet and he knew the SF15-T was better than F14-T in December. So my question is why were Ferrari saying they are late on development and rumours that they would find it difficult to get in to Q3? And if the car is still in its early stage of it's development can we expect them to be faster once they catch up?
The ones with the least to say always want to be heard the most…

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

Kalsi wrote:A more interesting question to me is: "Are we going to see a Jerez/Bcn tests PU spec since the beginning of the season?"
According to Omnicorse they will use old power unit with less HP not Barca spec for reliability reasons.

F1NAC

Silent Storm wrote:
Kalsi wrote:A more interesting question to me is: "Are we going to see a Jerez/Bcn tests PU spec since the beginning of the season?"
According to Omnicorse they will use old power unit with less HP not Barca spec for reliability reasons.
As a Tifoso I rather read better stories, so I found on twitter different :mrgreen:
https://twitter.com/Pjdona/status/574190720887746561

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

F1NAC wrote:
Silent Storm wrote:
As a Tifoso I rather read better stories, so I found on twitter different :mrgreen:

https://twitter.com/Pjdona/status/574190720887746561
I saw that too and I don't think they will bring old PU, It makes no sense.

poolboy67

yeah most likely means the same version of the PU. not the same actual test engine. that'd be silly.
i have dyslexia and english is not my native language. please be gentle.