Scuderia Ferrari SF15-T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Silent Storm
Silent Storm

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF15-T

wesley123 wrote:If they didn't have to alter their cooling package(either by adding slots or whatever other way) for a hotter race like this then that means that they are running a bit too much cooling for lower temperature events.
I think they were going conservative like Lotus and playing it safe with the cooling.
The ones with the least to say always want to be heard the most…

Fer.Fan
Fer.Fan

Comparing powerunits. Very interesting!

http://somersf1.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/ ... s-and.html

Fer.Fan
Fer.Fan

scarbs
scarbs

Ferrari have very inclined radiators. This makes it hard to turn the airflow in the duct through the radiator core and then turn back out the sidepods. So Ferrari's duct has a series of louvers to turn the airflow. Then a carbon panel on top of the rad has even more louvers. Allison told me it reduces duct and sidepod outlet size, improves cooling efficiency, cuts air separation on the back face of the rad. Adding it's worth quite a bit of lap time. The set up is new and unique to the the Ferrari and was on the car in Melbourne. I explained this in Autosport at the time.

giantfan10
giantfan10

scarbs wrote:Ferrari have very inclined radiators. This makes it hard to turn the airflow in the duct through the radiator core and then turn back out the sidepods. So Ferrari's duct has a series of louvers to turn the airflow. Then a carbon panel on top of the rad has even more louvers. Allison told me it reduces duct and sidepod outlet size, improves cooling efficiency, cuts air separation on the back face of the rad. Adding it's worth quite a bit of lap time. The set up is new and unique to the the Ferrari and was on the car in Melbourne. I explained this in Autosport at the time.
didnt they also say they got some new higher efficiency radiators from a new company this year?
from Allison: " radiator designs that were fundamentally more efficient, so that for every square centimeter of radiator, we're able to extract more cooling this year than last, and therefore are able to close the car down at the back as a consequence.”

jonaliew
jonaliew

Fer.Fan wrote:Comparing powerunits. Very interesting!

http://somersf1.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/ ... s-and.html
Interesting read.

Somers seems to believe that it Ferrari addressing their weaknesses with the PU that have lead to their step forward. But he feels that the layout could be improved (manifold exposure, intercooler in a V configuration rather than VLIT). So will there be an achilles heel somewhere?

jonaliew
jonaliew

scarbs wrote:Ferrari have very inclined radiators. This makes it hard to turn the airflow in the duct through the radiator core and then turn back out the sidepods. So Ferrari's duct has a series of louvers to turn the airflow. Then a carbon panel on top of the rad has even more louvers. Allison told me it reduces duct and sidepod outlet size, improves cooling efficiency, cuts air separation on the back face of the rad. Adding it's worth quite a bit of lap time. The set up is new and unique to the the Ferrari and was on the car in Melbourne. I explained this in Autosport at the time.
Scrabs, first of all, wanna say thank you for all your work. Just curious, would you being do a video discussion on how the various teams could be better spending their tokens in terms of upgrades?

Also, with regards to the sidepods, you mentioned that the inclined cause difficulty in the airflow and they add louvers along the way to help with directing or "turning it". is there a visual add you could draw or show?

Pedrolito

PlatinumZealot wrote:They also went with a high density radiators for this year.
Vettel guessed that the MErcedes may not be able to use all of its power when the temperature is hot... it is possibly true... the Merc engined cars did not look as strong on the straights at all.

An another note. The Blade nose is not a disadvantage as I was explaining in the redbull thread. it has many benefits when compared to the short nose design.
I'm not engineer but I ask me if that kind of nose is not better for top speed by obstructing airflow in straight line (but not in turn).
I would not be surprised to see the spread of this kind of nose next year.

This article was very interesting : http://www.f1technical.net/features/19883

I would like to see the same with a comparison between blade nose and short nose.
The blade nose of the McLaren seems finer that the Ferrari's one.

P.S. : can you put a link of your explainations, please ?

PlatinumZealot

Very insightful.... So they are actually louvers, eh. All the while I thought it was just sponge to prevent dropped tools from denting the radiator fins lol Innovative and deceptively simple idea. I hope Mercedes copies it.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

Pedrolito wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:They also went with a high density radiators for this year.
Vettel guessed that the MErcedes may not be able to use all of its power when the temperature is hot... it is possibly true... the Merc engined cars did not look as strong on the straights at all.

An another note. The Blade nose is not a disadvantage as I was explaining in the redbull thread. it has many benefits when compared to the short nose design.
I'm not engineer but I ask me if that kind of nose is not better for top speed by obstructing airflow in straight line (but not in turn).

I would like to see the same with a comparison between blade nose and short nose.

No. It does not block the air. Get that way of thinking out of your mind. It is more like a blade. It splits the air. It actually allows more air under the nose than the short design.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Pedrolito

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Pedrolito wrote:

No. It does not block the air. Get that way of thinking out of your mind. It is more like a blade. It splits the air. It actually allows more air under the nose than the short design.
Okay ! Thanks for explainations !

( I wished I had a link for RB thread but I will check the 28 pages... ;) )

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

Can you expand a little more? When you say louvers I'm thinking of the serrated gills you often see on the outside of sidepod. Are these louvers along the full length of the duct and on all sides, or just in certain areas?

Godius

Cold Fussion wrote:
Can you expand a little more? When you say louvers I'm thinking of the serrated gills you often see on the outside of sidepod. Are these louvers along the full length of the duct and on all sides, or just in certain areas?
I guess that he's talking about this, it looks like a stretched triangular pattern. The black part is probably made of carbon:
Blackout wrote:Strange black thing above the tubo area. An oil tank?
FrukostScones wrote:slightly better quality res:
http://www.omnicorse.it/img/articoli/ev ... iatori.jpg

FW17

Ferrari heat exchanger area on the side pods are massive in comparison with all other teams

Also looks like maybe they are using a air to air intercooler located on the LHS of the car (speculating here as the engine air inlet seems to be turned to the left on the RHS view of the car)

Juzh

PlatinumZealot wrote: No. It does not block the air. Get that way of thinking out of your mind. It is more like a blade. It splits the air. It actually allows more air under the nose than the short design.
I get your point, but surely there must be a reason why teams ran noses as high as possible before the fia steadily forced them to run it lower.