Scuderia Ferrari SF15-T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Froggolo
Froggolo

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF15-T

MarkedOne8 wrote:So, they are projecting to gain 20-30 HP twice?

I guess #3 ICE will be used for Montreal, Silverstone, A1 Ring and Hungaroring (and Spa?). Even if they skip engine #4 debut from Spa to Monza, that engine will still need to get 8 races done which is... :shock:
what forbids to use again engine #1? probably it needs some refurbishing.
if you dismount an engine, it doesn't mean you have to drop it
it can be refurbished and used in next races (if possible of course)
anyway nothing leads to think one single engine should be used for 8 races.
Relax, man. Have an elliptical drink or something® ( bhallg2k )

MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

Froggolo wrote:

I guess #3 ICE will be used for Montreal, Silverstone, A1 Ring and Hungaroring (and Spa?). Even if they skip engine #4 debut from Spa to Monza, that engine will still need to get 8 races done which is... :shock:
Correct, but engine #1 and #2 will have old specification thus meaning less power.
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.
http://f1bias.com/2012/04/05/truth-abou ... nder-2008/

Juzh

Probably an overkill estimation at this point. With those kind of gains they would not only match merc, but surpass it easily. Long shot.

Froggolo
Froggolo

MarkedOne8 wrote: Correct, but engine #1 and #2 will have old specification thus meaning less power.
this is quite possible,
but i don't know if the rules allow to "retrofit" older engines with new modifications
once they are developed using tokens

is someone aware about this?
Relax, man. Have an elliptical drink or something® ( bhallg2k )

enri_the_red
enri_the_red

Froggolo wrote:

you cannot dismantle an engine or refurbish its internal components

see sport regs 28.4-e and 28.4-f

f1316
f1316

hattrick wrote::!:

Gazzetta:
"The 1st big step planned for Barcelona, will debut in Montreal, with a PU with 20/30 hp more. New PU will have new pistons, camshafts and combustion chamber: for a cost of at least 4/5 of the 10 tokens. The second update of the PU will be brought in Monza. In addition also a new fuel developed by Shell to optimize performances. Ferrari should gain 20/30 hp, equaling Mercedes 830 hp."
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CC2YMgyWEAAb_Z8.jpg
So it implies they're 40-60 hp down right now? Really? If so, the chassis must be pretty darn good.

Juzh

They're not.

edxferrari

f1316 wrote:
hattrick wrote::!:

Gazzetta:
"The 1st big step planned for Barcelona, will debut in Montreal, with a PU with 20/30 hp more. New PU will have new pistons, camshafts and combustion chamber: for a cost of at least 4/5 of the 10 tokens. The second update of the PU will be brought in Monza. In addition also a new fuel developed by Shell to optimize performances. Ferrari should gain 20/30 hp, equaling Mercedes 830 hp."
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CC2YMgyWEAAb_Z8.jpg
So it implies they're 40-60 hp down right now? Really? If so, the chassis must be pretty darn good.

i dont think ferrari are 60hp behind that is maybe 30 hp behind , but they dont know that the second update (that in monza ) ho much hp ferrari will gain , maybe they can find more hp by then

plus mercedes got 7 tokens left i think will be hard for ferrari to level mercedes on hp this season but the gap by the end will be closer or at least that is what i hope will hapend so we can see more fight between drivers

ME4ME

They could simply re-use ICE #1 or #2 for non power-dominant tracks. Either that, or use a brand new ICE, which by itself only costs 10 grid places. They could do that, if their upgrades only apply to one element (ICE).

I personally think a 10 place grid penalty would be easily worth it, if that means an additional 20 bhp for 5 races.

MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

The first upgrade was developed I think in Barcelona second test, but there were rumours about reliability concerns. It was reported then that it gives +20 HP to the present engine (#1 and #2) and that those +20 HP would align them with Merc. I don't believe that they NOW know how much the second upgrade is/is going to be/will be worth because that would mean that second upgrade (Monza upgrade) is already developed.
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.

ringo

Ferrari is not down on power. In fact it was said last year that Mercedes has the strongest package but doesn't have the strongest engine. That has probably changed this year; but we know that most of ferrari's gains will be with ERS.
All this talk on 30hp with pistons changed and what have you is just wishful thinking.
We keep hearing of these big chunks of power with the same fuel flow, at this rate their gonna be over 1000 by next year. haha. Just keep adding those 30hp chunks. :lol:

I would say Ferrari are quite fine in terms of power unit. We know that their weakness to mercedes is the chassis. I say this because of the relative performance in hot temperatures. SF15T is closer to mercedes, almost equal or quicker. This is because of how the chassis is working the tyres. They didn't all of a sudden get a stronger engine. And if they are equal in certain conditions then it's safe to say the PU is equal to mercedes at the moment, because it's accepted that Mercedes have very good downforce.
For Sure!!

MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

Hmmm that's good conclusion. Engine can't change that much from cold to hot weather.

FW17

ringo wrote:. In fact it was said last year that Mercedes has the strongest package but doesn't have the strongest engine.
You saying last years Ferrari engine was a honey pot not a --- box?

wesley123
wesley123

MarkedOne8 wrote:Hmmm that's good conclusion. Engine can't change that much from cold to hot weather.
Of course they can, engines need to be sufficiently cooled to optimize their power output as well as reliability. Running too cool isn't ideal, and neither is running too hot.

The turbo is a fun thing, as air gets heated through that because of the exhaust heating the whole thing up. Thus, an intercooler is necessary to cool the air down, which in the end improves power. With hotter weather logically the air gets cooled less, thus, hotter air in the intake, which would in the end turn a reduction of power.

Thus, the cooling package becomes very detrimental to engine performance.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Kalsi
Kalsi

Can someone explain me why not all the engines should get the upgrades from the tokens or link me some regulations about that?

On a side note i leave you this:

2014 Bahrein Q3
Nico's 2014 pole 01:33.185
Alonso's 2014 10th place 01:34.992

2015 Bahrein Q3
Lewis 2015 pole 01:32.571
Vettel's 2nd place 01:32.982
Nico's 3rd place 01:33.129

Just amazing.....