Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ollandos
ollandos

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

on alonso today onboard is clear the ''hard'' attack of ERS on exits ....they need work on that...

diffuser

Jef Patat wrote:
flat out wrote:There souldn't be any heat reflections on thermal images.
Why shouldn't there be? Every wave reflects. Thermal imaging is just a conversion of invisible infrared light (remember light's dual caracter being a wave) to visible light (white, red, yellow, blue, black). Visible light reflects and so does invisible light.

And for those not willing to check imightbewrong's addition of last page check this:

http://www.flirmedia.com/MMC/THG/Brochu ... 264_EN.pdf page 27

There's no reason for a heat buildup at the rear wing or it's support to the same extend of the exhaust or tires.

So just because it is a reflection.....Does that make it not hot ?

flat out
flat out

flat out wrote:
There souldn't be any heat reflections on thermal images.

Why shouldn't there be? Every wave reflects. Thermal imaging is just a conversion of invisible infrared light (remember light's dual caracter being a wave) to visible light (white, red, yellow, blue, black). Visible light reflects and so does invisible light.
My explanation would be: Mirrors reflect all visual light (like the varnishing of that Mclaren does) but thermal cameras capture the wavelengths of things and visualize them by raising the wavelength. So what you see on thermal images is the wavelength (the temperature so to speak) that different elements send. So for example it is logical to me that a cooled mirror next to an ICE still appears blue in thermal images even though the engine is glowing hot because the camera captures the wavelengths and no real image? I am not a camera expert but I don't think you can't transfer it that simple from our actual seeing to thermal pictures to explain reflections. Of course normal cameras capture wavelenghts as well, otherwise we wouldn't see colors, but these wavelenghts are not temperature-related.
There is a lot of heat exiting the hot air exits. So the red areas on Alonso's diffusor and the rear wing fins can well be caused by hot air.

You can see the front wheel reflection here, but no real heat reflection, maybe a tiny little bit

flat out
flat out

In thermal cameras the temperature of things are measured because different temperature areas send out different wavelengths. This has nothing to do with our seeing or normal cameras. A cool mirror next to a hot engine would still appear cool (blue) on the thermal image because temperature is not beeing reflected. You make a thinking-mistake because you transfer our usual seeing to thermal images. In the picture above you can see the tyre reflecting, but no temperature reflection.

flat out
flat out

Ok after having read Jef Patat's literature I might be wrong :D Haven't ever heard about certain meterials being able to reflect temperature areas, thank you!

bhall II
bhall II

Infrared reflections from the tire are clearly seen on the wing in two distinct locations every time the tire is briefly locked up.

The reflection of infrared radiation is much like the reflection of another form of electromagnetic radiation that's similarly invisible to the naked eye: x-rays. When x-rays are sent through an object, those that reflect are those that haven't been absorbed to at least some degree by the materials within the object. The difference between what's reflected and what's not reflected forms the basis for the images created.

EDIT: you got it. :D

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

flat out wrote:Ok after having read Jef Patat's literature I might be wrong :D Haven't ever heard about certain meterials being able to reflect temperature areas, thank you!
Thank you for looking at it. BTW, in the animated gif you posted you can see a reflection as well. At the moment the wheel locks up you can see in the bottom right corner a reflection in what I think is the wing support. That area shouldn't get hot under any circumstances.

piast9
piast9

diffuser wrote: So just because it is a reflection.....Does that make it not hot ?
Nope. If you can see the thermal image reflected in a mirror it doesn't mean that this mirror is hot.

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

piast9 wrote:
diffuser wrote: So just because it is a reflection.....Does that make it not hot ?
Nope. If you can see the thermal image reflected in a mirror it doesn't mean that this mirror is hot.
Indeed, just think of the reflection of a lightbulb in a mirror. The lightbulb in the mirror is not emitting light, it's reflecting the light emitted by the real bulb. We got so used to it that we don't think about it. But look how confusing it is for a baby.

diffuser

piast9 wrote:

But if I was looking at the reflection of the sun in a mirror, my face would be.

aral
aral

diffuser wrote:
piast9 wrote:

But if I was looking at the reflection of the sun in a mirror, my face would be.
OMG. what has all this hot air got to do with the McLaren? Thread needs to be cleaned up

ringo

ncassi22 wrote:
ringo wrote:That's a very unnecessary design solution though, if it is in fact between the V. In front of the engine is just a better solution with no compromise.
SPACE. No need to make a hole in the tub etc... Not saying it is that way, just that to say there's no benefit might be short sighted.
That's not a valid reason. You would compromise your whole engine design, just to save a few inches in tub design?
For Sure!!

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

diffuser wrote:
piast9 wrote:

Yes, because the mirror reflects (doesn't get hot) and your face doesn't reflect, but absorbs and gets burned if you keep wondering for too long.

Come on, go do some googling or believe the prove presented. This is too basic and getting of topic :(

radosav
radosav

hurril
hurril

radosav wrote:Alonso onboard during race .
http://rutube.ru/video/d1b7371c625e5362 ... f11478039/
I really like the sound of the Honda engine (which might put me at odds with most everyone else?) The car also seems pretty competitive to me at this point in time. (N.b.: I have yet to watch the actual race.)