Red Bull RB11 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
poolboy67

Re: Red Bull RB11 Renault

to be honest, this livery hides alot more than that silly zebra stuff did :roll:
i have dyslexia and english is not my native language. please be gentle.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Are RedBull alone in having the outer diffuser dip down? The "ceiling" of the diffuser is lower in the outer portion than it is closer to the centreline of the car. This gives them a more defined S section to the diffuser if viewed in longitudinal section. Presumably this is tied in to their treatment of the tyre squash flow and their large overall rake angle.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

poolboy67 wrote: to be honest, this livery hides alot more than that silly zebra stuff did :roll:
I don't think it was ever about hiding the details. I think it was a way of getting people to look at the car. One of their "we're RedBull and we're mad!" schemes.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

PlatinumZealot

gilgen wrote:
gandharva wrote:Its the pull rod of the rear suspension.
thanks. it appears very light and seems to imply that the springs are below the engine??????
Springs are in the gearbox bell housing. Shocks are in the gearbox bell housing too. Mucch lower centre of gravity and a clear path on top of the gearbox.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

gandharva

I'm still curious about that rearwing central support. The way it's installed it could easily be used as an f-duct that is fed by a channel from the central air inlet above the driver helmet. If you look at some of the closer shots, you can always see that the support (in vertical direction) is not fully closed especially in the upper part (red circle). Also they could use the 3 screws (blue circles) in the support as some sort of spreader to widen that gap in the central wing support from track to track to increase or decrease air flow coming out of that gap... I would love to see some better high res shots of this area.

JDC123
JDC123

gandharva wrote:I'm still curious about that rearwing central support. The way it's installed it could easily be used as an f-duct that is fed by a channel from the central air inlet above the driver helmet. If you look at some of the closer shots, you can always see that the support (in vertical direction) is not fully closed especially in the upper part (red circle). Also they could use the 3 screws (blue circles) in the support as some sort of spreader to widen that gap in the central wing support from track to track to increase or decrease air flow coming out of that gap... I would love to see some better high res shots of this area.

http://abload.de/img/central_supportdhqpr.jpg
Those appear just to be screws. I imagine the 'swan neck' support is made from aluminium or similar material and has an aerofoil shroud made of carbon fibre fitted around it as this is a much easier way of manufacturing such an intricate shape. I may be wrong though

f1316
f1316

gandharva wrote:I'm still curious about that rearwing central support. The way it's installed it could easily be used as an f-duct that is fed by a channel from the central air inlet above the driver helmet. If you look at some of the closer shots, you can always see that the support (in vertical direction) is not fully closed especially in the upper part (red circle). Also they could use the 3 screws (blue circles) in the support as some sort of spreader to widen that gap in the central wing support from track to track to increase or decrease air flow coming out of that gap... I would love to see some better high res shots of this area.

I've been wondering much the same. A team down on power could really do with a 'device' providing they can get the switching to work (big if).

paddyf1
paddyf1

RB11 rear wing leading edge endplate slots - final pre-season test - See more at: http://somersf1.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/ ... QlYha.dpuf

paddyf1
paddyf1

f1316 wrote:

I've been wondering much the same. A team down on power could really do with a 'device' providing they can get the switching to work (big if).
Red Bull gave a new rear wing leading edge endplate slots that will maybe help with top speed !!!

fawe4
fawe4

paddyf1 wrote:
f1316 wrote:

Red Bull gave a new rear wing leading edge endplate slots that will maybe help with top speed !!!
The ones they added certainly won't help with top speed. :D

I really am doubtful they need, or want speed, looking at the way car is built. Getting more from engine is always a plus, but they still don't look like a team that will sacrifice downforce to achieve better top seed.

gandharva

fawe4 wrote:The ones they added certainly won't help with top speed. :D
Of course they do. But this is rather old news. Pro tip: reading all posts in this thread helps. ;)

paddyf1
paddyf1

gandharva wrote:
Of course they do. But this is rather old news. Pro tip: reading all posts in this thread helps. ;)
This may give it the potential to stall the outer sections of the mainplane and top flap, reducing drag and increasing top speed, in much the same way we saw teams use the F-Duct and DRD. - See more at: http://somersf1.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/ ... QlYha.dpuf

fawe4
fawe4

paddyf1 wrote:
gandharva wrote:
This may give it the potential to stall the outer sections of the mainplane and top flap, reducing drag and increasing top speed, in much the same way we saw teams use the F-Duct and DRD. - See more at: http://somersf1.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/ ... QlYha.dpuf
That article clearly says that changes increased downforce and drag.
Detail changes in key areas like this have to be carefully considered as although they may bring an increase in downforce you also have to consider the penalty they may add in terms of drag.
I'll take that as a fact because it is common knowledge. It is only later assumed that it creates voritices that help stalling the wing.That, I'll only take as assumption. As it is, I really don't see it being used for stalling the wing.

Furthermore, that article is a bit contradictory. At one point changes increase drag and downforce, and at the other they stall the wing.

paddyf1
paddyf1

That article clearly says that changes increased downforce and drag.
Detail changes in key areas like this have to be carefully considered as although they may bring an increase in downforce you also have to consider the penalty they may add in terms of drag.
I'll take that as a fact because it is common knowledge. It is only later assumed that it creates voritices that help stalling the wing.That, I'll only take as assumption. As it is, I really don't see it being used for stalling the wing.
It could be used for anything..something that we dont even know !! Just think there`s more chance of them using that idea rather than something in the central rear wing support !!

dren

He mentions they are running more downforce, thus more drag due to the AoA being greater, which I have mentioned before, too. I figured they were doing so because they had more power at their disposal with the upgraded Renault PU. The slots are probably to help the wing work better, not stall the wing.
Honda!