Red Bull RB11 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
turbof1

Re: Red Bull RB11 Renault

Looks like the blaming club if RBR/Renault recruited some members on our boards, continiueing the fine tradition of blaming eachother.

Moved some posts to the team thread, removed some others.
#AeroFrodo

ME4ME

So, anyone seen any news on the awaited short-nose yet?

Should be ready by now, shouldn't it? I guess we'll see on friday..

cossie
cossie

turbof1 wrote:Looks like the blaming club if RBR/Renault recruited some members on our boards, continiueing the fine tradition of blaming eachother.

Moved some posts to the team thread, removed some others.
Nap time???????

SectorOne

ME4ME wrote:So, anyone seen any news on the awaited short-nose yet?

Should be ready by now, shouldn't it? I guess we'll see on friday..
https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/580686894763216896
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

turbof1

Last year it took Mercedes quite a few crash tests before they managed to get their new nose through the crash tests. Given Mercedes and Red Bull are quite similar concerning capital and human resources I'm not surprised Red Bull is struggling to get it done.

It's definitely not simple to design such a nose without adding excessive amounts of weight. Don't worry, they'll get there eventually.
#AeroFrodo

WaikeCU

turbof1 wrote:Last year it took Mercedes quite a few crash tests before they managed to get their new nose through the crash tests. Given Mercedes and Red Bull are quite similar concerning capital and human resources I'm not surprised Red Bull is struggling to get it done.

It's definitely not simple to design such a nose without adding excessive amounts of weight. Don't worry, they'll get there eventually.
Perhaps it's more difficult for Red Bull than Mercedes, since Mercedes doesn't have a flexy wing and Red Bull does. So Red Bull wants a shorter nose and a flexy wing. Difficult, but can they do it?

turbof1

WaikeCU wrote:
turbof1 wrote:Last year it took Mercedes quite a few crash tests before they managed to get their new nose through the crash tests. Given Mercedes and Red Bull are quite similar concerning capital and human resources I'm not surprised Red Bull is struggling to get it done.

Perhaps it's more difficult for Red Bull than Mercedes, since Mercedes doesn't have a flexy wing and Red Bull does. So Red Bull wants a shorter nose and a flexy wing. Difficult, but can they do it?
It's a question of finding the right carbon layering which makes the whole process difficult. But once you found it's quite easy to replicate.

Mercedes btw also had a very flexible wing last year, so I don't think it's per se more difficult for red bull. Williams also has quite advanced in flexi wings, but actually managed to construct the nose (maybe with help from Mercedes?). It is difficult in general and question of finding the sweet spot.

I'm looking at their current nose and doesn't look like they need to make it much shorter, I think at most 50mm. The current one must have been difficult to pass on its own.
#AeroFrodo

SectorOne

Agree, and props to Lotus but who knows the amount of money they spent on trying to get that nose crash tested..

Another thing to consider is that Red Bull might deliberately do several crash tests because for each one that passes they scrape some more carbon off it until they find the absolute limit in terms of the crash test.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

PlatinumZealot

Red Bull nose is already short? Am I missing something here?
How shorter can it get?? Some please show me .... thanks...

Anyways.. I don't have time to do CFDs these days but the long blade nose of Ferrari and McLaren does have some benefits. It drives the front wing less, but it gives better flow to the floor believe it or not. Sounds counter intuitive doesn't it?

If you look on the Ferrari nose, it is basically a blade. The air is not interrupted that much when it interacts with the nose. From the front view it is deceiving because the nose looks like a big blockage to the flow but from the side it actually quite spacious above the middle of the front wing. The advantage lies in the higher underside of the nose. A good 50 mm higher than the low nose brethren.

That is why Mercedes have been playing with the underside of the nose so much trying to tuck it in, then finally going the other way and deciding to stick with driving the front wing and putting a bulge instead.

Sauber has the worst of both worlds. They have a long and bulbous nose. They just went with the buldge to drive the front wing and you might be lead to believe they said sod all to under floor flow but that is not true, they cut two notches either side of the pylons to compensate. The Sauber solution is evidence that they do not have money to spend on RD for a shorter nose that can pass the crash test. They could not even make the slanted blade that Ferrari has so they put their focus on maximizing the thick bulb nose that they have.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Thunder

PlatinumZealot wrote:Red Bull nose is already short? Am I missing something here?
They still have that Thumb sticking out there (like Williams). I'm guessing that should be removed aswell for better airflow.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

timbo
timbo

Thunders wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:Red Bull nose is already short? Am I missing something here?
They still have that Thumb sticking out there (like Williams). I'm guessing that should be removed aswell for better airflow.
But the thumb is for legality reasons not to make it easier to pass crash test.

Thunder

timbo wrote: But the thumb is for legality reasons not to make it easier to pass crash test.
What would be the legality Problem? Not saying you're wrong because i am not too fond of the Nose regulation but several articles i read were talking about that Thumb beeing removed when they pass the Crash test, as that is the only thing holding them back.
#aerogollum

Sevach
Sevach

Thunders wrote:
timbo wrote: But the thumb is for legality reasons not to make it easier to pass crash test.
What would be the legality Problem? Not saying you're wrong because i am not too fond of the Nose regulation but several articles i read were talking about that Thumb beeing removed when they pass the Crash test, as that is the only thing holding them back.
It would be higher than the mandated maximum height for the nose tip.

Thunder

Surely they wouldn't just saw the Tip off. It would be a completely new nose. I just thought there would be something else in the regs i didn't know of. Basically expect a Merc Nose when it's done.
#aerogollum

zioture
zioture

Amazing Photo redbull
Via http://f1grandprix.motorionline.com/