Mercedes AMG F1 W06

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
George-Jung
George-Jung

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W06

Sevach wrote:It's very curious given that the W05 ran with the "Gorilla Seat" pretty much everywhere.
Obviously they don't need it anymore, otherwise they would still do it.. =D>

Morteza

Hungaroring - Friday

Via AMuS
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

kartwheels
kartwheels

Interesting to see Rosberg's windscreen has triangular cutouts where Hamilton's does not.

JDC123
JDC123

kartwheels wrote:Interesting to see Rosberg's windscreen has triangular cutouts where Hamilton's does not.
Yes I also noticed that during qualifying today; Rosberg has almost a zig-zag windscreen whereas hamilton has a full windscreen all the way across. Maybe it is preference on the feel of the wind hitting the drivers hand during cornering? I have always wondered why teams have windscreens, is it a regulation or as i have mentioned to do with the drivers hands raising above the cockpit during cornering? Could a secondary job be that it acts like a gurney flap creating a small amount of high pressure on the top of the chassis, whilst producing a low pressure area behind it to further help extract hot air from the cockpit?

tranquility2k4
tranquility2k4

I wonder what Mercedes keep doing to their car in terms of "cogfiguration" to really upset either Lewis or Nico in P2. If you remember at Silverstone Lewis had something wrong with the car and they fixed it overnight and now Nico here at Hungary. It may just be a coincidence, but from memory, this sort of thing has happened before. I'm pretty certain I remember Lewis having a good P1, then being nowhere in P2 but saying "we changed something but it didn't work but we can fix it for tomorrow". I wonder if it's something to do with their suspension, which may be more complex than some other teams, but can't be fixed during the session.

Moose
Moose

JDC123 wrote:
kartwheels wrote:Interesting to see Rosberg's windscreen has triangular cutouts where Hamilton's does not.
Yes I also noticed that during qualifying today; Rosberg has almost a zig-zag windscreen whereas hamilton has a full windscreen all the way across. Maybe it is preference on the feel of the wind hitting the drivers hand during cornering? I have always wondered why teams have windscreens, is it a regulation or as i have mentioned to do with the drivers hands raising above the cockpit during cornering? Could a secondary job be that it acts like a gurney flap creating a small amount of high pressure on the top of the chassis, whilst producing a low pressure area behind it to further help extract hot air from the cockpit?
It helps flick air up and over the driver to the air box, rather than just hitting the driver and causing a bunch of turbulence

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

I think the "windscreen" is more to do with driver comfort from buffeting. The driver's helmet is shaped to clean up flow around it and over it towards the airbox.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

tranquility2k4 wrote:I wonder what Mercedes keep doing to their car in terms of "cogfiguration" to really upset either Lewis or Nico in P2. [...] I wonder if it's something to do with their suspension, which may be more complex than some other teams, but can't be fixed during the session.
I seem to remember mention of tyre pressures being one issue during an interview with Wolff / Lauda.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

l4mbch0ps
l4mbch0ps

Rosberg also has a small vent just above his "6" on the top of the chassis - whereas Lewis does not.

Jordan44

Lowe said today's issues were tyre pressures. The issues Lewis had with setup in Silverstone was an incorrect ride height setting.

PlatinumZealot

JDC123 wrote:
Different Helmet designs.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

mrluke
mrluke

Just_a_fan wrote:I think the "windscreen" is more to do with driver comfort from buffeting. The driver's helmet is shaped to clean up flow around it and over it towards the airbox.
This. Lewis has mentioned them before in interviews and im pretty sure Rosberg has had a screen like that for a good while now.

zioture
zioture

SectorOne

Oh look, blue/grey teflon coating on the cars. But i guess it´s just the lighting like some said ;)
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

dans79

So what does everyone think is wrong with the car?

Both cars have gotten poor starts in 2 consecutive races now, and that's 2 much of a coincidence.
197 104 103 7