Mercedes AMG F1 W06

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
henra
henra

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W06

Chuckjr wrote:Simple phone video rendering the superb control of the Merc's front pushrod. It freely moves while cornering, but under braking it is an absolute stone.
Amazing. You might be on to something with this.
The perfect anti-dive will help massively with aerodynamic stability under braking. And coincidentally this is something the W06 excels in.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Wow... that's incredible, how have they achieved that?

holeindalip
holeindalip

I'm not fully aware of the technical regs, but is it somehow tied to the hydraulic brake pressure??

Sevach
Sevach

Is the one on Ros Monza spec?

turbof1

Probably, but I don't think there's a big difference between the 2 wings concerning either drag of downforce. Looks like finetuning.
#AeroFrodo

PlatinumZealot

Sevach wrote:https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CNB2enrWEAAc7g1.jpg

Is the one on Ros Monza spec?
Yeah. Reportedly Rosberg tested a Monza spec. The first I am seeing it though.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

mrluke
mrluke

holeindalip wrote:I'm not fully aware of the technical regs, but is it somehow tied to the hydraulic brake pressure??
Isn't the fric system, except it is no longer allowed to link the front and rear. Supposedly the complete lack of dive is why ham struggled with qualy last year.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Another rear wing i liked was the Renault R28 with its cut outs next to the end plates.

Thats another one to add to the beautiful and aesthetically pleasing rear wings that Mercedes has brought us to discuss.

SectorOne

As for the two different rear wings, check the rpm´s of both cars.

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

So Rosberg running less downforce.. Btw the gear ratio are fixed this year but should both cars have the same ratio or can it be different? Can it be that Rosberg has shorter ratio hence higher rpm?
The ones with the least to say always want to be heard the most…

Ninners
Ninners

SectorOne wrote:As for the two different rear wings, check the rpm´s of both cars.

http://i.imgur.com/zAmEjx2.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/N6ZzLmj.jpg
This isn't a sure way of checking whether Nico has a lower downforce setup or not. As far as I'm concerned they are running the same configuration, they are close in the speed traps and in the sectors and in the Sky analysis it was interesting to see Nico who was slightly behind entering Eau Rouge end up ahead of Lewis by the end of s1. But what was mentioned was that Nico gained a very small amount of time through Eau Rouge giving him a small amount of extra momentum further up the straight rather than downforce settings. Also the lights on the dash doesn't really prove anything as when Lewis is in top gear at around 11,800 rpm or so no lights are showing even though he is very close to the usual shift point (around 12,000rpm) yet in the lower gears the lights come on as early as 9,000 rpms.

Edax
Edax

bhall II wrote:It reduces frontal area, and the shallower AoA at the wing tips reduce the strength of wingtip vortices.

http://i.imgur.com/wbfAdfe.jpg

It's also a pretty good sign that the aero dep't in Brackley is bored.
Would this configuration also make the DRS more effective? I guess the DRS flap is regulated by a projected area, which allows to have a higher retractable section at the center of the wing where the pressure is the highest.

SectorOne

Ninners wrote:This isn't a sure way of checking whether Nico has a lower downforce setup or not.
It a lot more then "As far as I'm concerned they are running the same configuration"
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

bhall II
bhall II

Edax wrote:Would this configuration also make the DRS more effective? I guess the DRS flap is regulated by a projected area, which allows to have a higher retractable section at the center of the wing where the pressure is the highest.
To my reading of the regulations, which isn't always great, because Regulationese isn't my native tongue, the size of the flap and its range of motion is limited by the last part of 3.10.1...
The chord of the rearmost and uppermost closed section must always be smaller than the chord of the lowermost section at the same lateral station.

Furthermore, the distance between adjacent sections at any longitudinal vertical plane must lie between 10mm and 15mm at their closest position, except, in accordance with Article 3.18, when this distance must lie between 10mm and 65mm.
In practice, the flap is typically sized so that it's virtually flat when DRS is engaged in order to maximize the reduction in frontal area. I can't see how that would be the case for Mercedes' wing, though, because its dimensions have to stay within the "rear wing box" (3.18.1 d), and it has to be arranged to fail safe (3.18.1 g).

As a percentage of change, the reduction in downforce/drag afforded by DRS will likely the same, if not a little less, because of the curvature. But, because everything is minimized with a smaller wing, the total reduction will definitely be less.

Or so goes my logic...
Last edited by bhall II on 23 Aug 2015, 01:01, edited 1 time in total.

NoDivergence
NoDivergence

I disagree, the AOA at the ends of the flap will be at very very low when DRS is enabled. You can't simply think of this wing as a 2D structure. There will be significant reduction in 3D induced drag.

I have a couple of pictures from qualifying of the DRS open and it looks very very low drag. Can't really be bothered to upload to photobucket/etc.