Mercedes AMG F1 W06

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Thunder

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W06

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 81867.html

The Car was not built for Tracks like Singapore or Monaco, they made some Setup mistakes and brought no Updates to Singapore, but everyone else did.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

.poz
.poz

Leo Turrini (an Italian journalist) Blog reports an idea from a an engineer: Merc has a small intercooler (smaller than Ferrari and Renault ones) that in very hot and humid condition (Malaysia, Singapore) can't cool enough

OO7
OO7

.poz wrote:Leo Turrini (an Italian journalist) Blog reports an idea from a an engineer: Merc has a small intercooler (smaller than Ferrari and Renault ones) that in very hot and humid condition (Malaysia, Singapore) can't cool enough
Power wasn't the problem, grip was.

toraabe
toraabe

mrluke wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:Singapore is very bumpy and it has true high traffic streets also. Remember lewis said he could heat his tyres up to temperature on his out laps but could not get further increase in his hot laps. His tyres actually cooled down. This is because the mercedes was not working the tyre as hard as the other cars. It could be scrub radius it could be the front wheel damper setup.... A lot of things. We know ther aero balance was there though. Hamilton confirmed he had good balance.
But it wasn't just Mercedes, none of the merc powered teams did very well.

The only thing I can think of is that the merc teams have a set up which is much kinder to their tyres due to the higher power available (maybe?) meaning they can struggle to get enough heat into them on some tracks.

But....difficult to explain why so good at Monaco and so bad at Singapore.

Is it maybe heat and mguh/k related? I haven't seen side by side laps with the Ferrari to see where they lose out but heard its in the acceleration zones?

Odd.
The tourqe curve of the Mercedes engine is so brutal so the rear tyres becomes overheated if the driver is not gentle enough with the throttle. Already last year they wanted wider rear tyres to get their power down.

Hail22

Suzuka Japan - Thursday

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

hmmm

Hail22

^Post installation pylon

Suzukua Japan - Thursday

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

tranquility2k4
tranquility2k4

Is that a new FW for Merc? What's the black bit on the rear most flap?

George-Jung
George-Jung

tranquility2k4 wrote:Is that a new FW for Merc? What's the black bit on the rear most flap?
I believe that is a gurney flap..

Juzh

mrluke wrote: But it wasn't just Mercedes, none of the merc powered teams did very well.
Williams did ok for theri standards. This was not a PU related problem. It was specific to the mercedes team.

PlatinumZealot

It is the hydraulics i feel. Someone screwd up the settings. Mercedes hydraulics like the frics is set up on a track by track basis. So maybe somewhere somebody left the monza setting in place....
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Morteza

Via @ScarbsF1
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Chene_Mostert

SiLo wrote:I expect Mercedes to top the timesheet in all the sessions in Japan. I'd be surprised if that wasn't just a one off because they completely missed the mark with setup.
Suzuka FP1:
Exactly this kind of over confidence that lost them the last weekend...
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

OO7
OO7

Rear-wing end-plates are new, with a longer slot at the leading edge.

Hail22

Suzuka Japan - FP1

Suzuka Japan - FP2

Gilles Villeneuve