Mercedes AMG F1 W06

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
SectorOne

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W06

arahman_93 wrote:yeah they have wrapped the bodywork around the exhaust more closely. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B-xgVkLWwAABw5C.jpg:large
as well as add vertical vane to the floor where as before it was just like a slot.
Please refrain from outlining all the new parts people, you are just obstructing the part everyone wants to look at.
Better to use an arrow away from the part instead.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Moose
Moose

Mattchu wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
arahman_93 wrote:yeah they have wrapped the bodywork around the exhaust more closely. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B-xgVkLWwAABw5C.jpg:large
as well as add vertical vane to the floor where as before it was just like a slot.
Shorter exhaust pipe too.
I`d say it looks shorter and lower...

With regards to the cameras personally i think the FIA should make a regulation/directive stating all position 2 cameras/housings must be directly attached to the side of the nose without any arms.
Define an "arm". Note - I'm not trying to be obtuse - I'm trying to point out the difficulty in writing this kind of a rule. The rule needs to be able to handle all nose shapes, and accurately define what's not allowed. Otherwise the team could do exactly what Merc is doing and just claim "our nose is that shape".

Morteza

Formula1.com
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

SectorOne

Moose wrote:Define an "arm". Note - I'm not trying to be obtuse - I'm trying to point out the difficulty in writing this kind of a rule. The rule needs to be able to handle all nose shapes, and accurately define what's not allowed. Otherwise the team could do exactly what Merc is doing and just claim "our nose is that shape".
You can specify an area Xmm above the reference plane and Ymm from the wheel centerline to be completely flat and that the camera housings must always be placed flush against that.

Doing it like that it would be no different then max length of front wing, max height of rear wing or the dimensions of the impact structure around the driver´s heads.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Moose
Moose

SectorOne wrote:
Moose wrote:Define an "arm". Note - I'm not trying to be obtuse - I'm trying to point out the difficulty in writing this kind of a rule. The rule needs to be able to handle all nose shapes, and accurately define what's not allowed. Otherwise the team could do exactly what Merc is doing and just claim "our nose is that shape".
You can specify an area Xmm above the reference plane and Ymm from the wheel centerline to be completely flat and that the camera housings must always be placed flush against that.

http://i.imgur.com/MYBmrbE.jpg

Doing it like that it would be no different then max length of front wing, max height of rear wing or the dimensions of the impact structure around the driver´s heads.
That's exactly what they've done. Merc have positioned them there, and their nose has a stalk on it.

PlatinumZealot

Moose wrote:
SectorOne wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/MYBmrbE.jpg

That's exactly what they've done. Merc have positioned them there, and their nose has a stalk on it.
So, are you saying that the original horns were counted as part of the nose and hence breached the upper surface limit for the nose? In other words these new side stalks poke outwards first clearing the regulated nose volume, then swing up above the same upper limit for nose - but since they are outside the regulated nose volume they are legal?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

henra
henra

Caerdroia wrote:Another pic of the camera mounts.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B-wdMUmW8AAhUY0.jpg
Haha!
I like how they ridicule the FIA verdict on their camera mountings!
Anyway, we shouldn't get to hang up on these. I mean, they are....well....just camera mounts.
The new solution will neither make them 1s faster nor 1s slower so let's move on....

SectorOne

Moose wrote:That's exactly what they've done. Merc have positioned them there, and their nose has a stalk on it.
It´s quite obviously not that way they have done it given Mercedes horns and subsequent update of these horns both fail to be positioned flush against the designated area marked on the car.

You have a regulated area that´s the same for all cars and you can´t by any means have anything other then the camera house itself touching that regulated square.

Aaronque
Aaronque

New diffuser and hot air exits
New paint job? No?

stefan_
stefan_

2015 Winter testing | Session 3, Day 2 - Circuit de Catalunya, Spain (27.02.2015)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Bredd
Bredd

New front brake ducts.

aral
aral

i wonder if the fin mouldings that support the camera stalks are legal? they have a direct aero influence, but camera mounts are supposed to be aero neutral

michaelclarke

Bredd wrote:New front brake ducts.
You're right, a new little bump inlet on the outside.
“Keep learning, you’ll never know everything… Never think you’re the best, because you probably aren’t. And always strive to be the best; that is working hard and keep learning.” – Jensen Button.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

gilgen wrote:i wonder if the fin mouldings that support the camera stalks are legal? they have a direct aero influence, but camera mounts are supposed to be aero neutral
FIA appear to be happy with them - they appear to meet the letter of the technical regulations.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Mattchu

Moose wrote: Define an "arm". Note - I'm not trying to be obtuse - I'm trying to point out the difficulty in writing this kind of a rule. The rule needs to be able to handle all nose shapes, and accurately define what's not allowed. Otherwise the team could do exactly what Merc is doing and just claim "our nose is that shape".
No probs Moose, as i was writing it thought about how such a regulation could be worded so as to be very specific and not allow situations like this to occur.
Maybe something along the lines of within the allowed x + y axis for the camera to be positioned the camera unit supplied to all teams must be fitted directly to the side of the nose and and is only allowed (at its highest point) to protrude above the downward upper surface of the nose by 30mm maximum (random rumber). Any extension to the supplied camera housing (for the purposes of fitting) must not exceed 30mm in lengh total.
I put this because the McLaren looks like it slightly protrudes above the nose and the`ve enough troubles at the moment without another one!

I`m sure the FIA can get someone with more knowledge than me to write a more specific rule and i`d imagine Mercedes and Ferarri know something like this maybe coming, maybe the`re just creating a bit of hoopla :)

Cheers,
Mattchu

p.s. Thanks to everyone posting pictures, some of them are brilliant...