Mercedes AMG F1 W06

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
BlackSwan
BlackSwan

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W06

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

ringo

This car has a blown diffusser...
yup. That may explain their rear end grip. It's very suttle and passive, but the diffuser similar to the double diffuser days ia blown by free stream air. The difference is that the air comes from the outer flow to the side pod and is rammed in by a turning vain behind the wishbones. This air turns in toward the centre of the car and contacts that blocker under the crash structure. It also is accelerated throught the starter hole. this is a neat littlw trick that doesnt seem obvious at first. and as usual i think the other teams can copy this techniqe without nweding much resources. Aldo Costa seems to have the talent of making big developments very suttle and hard to find on the car. I guess the teams can start scrambling to copy this kind of double diffuser. I also think this was mercedes interpritation of mclarens butterlfy suspension but they tied it into the diffuser.Image
For Sure!!

FrukostScones

I 'm pretty sure the "batwing" is the key.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

SectorOne

When in reality the whole car is the key. Everything on the car is working in total harmony.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

NoDivergence
NoDivergence

That's what people don't get. They get all excited about size zero, cokebottle, rake, etc etc. There's no magic bullet on this car. The whole car is top notch.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

ringo wrote:This air turns in toward the centre of the car and contacts that blocker under the crash structure. It also is accelerated throught the starter hole. this is a neat littlw trick that doesnt seem obvious at first.
It's a very neat trick considering that the starter holes are closed by flaps these days...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

thomin

Ever heard of "marginal gains"? I believe that's what we're seeing here.

ringo

@just a fan - Whatever you want to call that multi wing thing under the crash structure. That good enough for you now? :wink:
For Sure!!

SectorOne

Mercedes have made a change to the underneath of their nose section, which now has a ‘fat’ section (see arrow) on its underside that acts as an airflow passage. Mercedes have been able to make this alteration without having to homologate a new nose - the design is a cover of the original nose, meaning new crash tests were not required. The new section is fully integrated with the chassis.
http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-web ... -nose.html
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

dans79

I wonder where the inlet is?
197 104 103 7

scarbs
scarbs

There's no inlet, that opening is sealed by a panel attached to the bulkhead, leaving a smooth continuous under surface

tranquility2k4
tranquility2k4

Just wait for Merc to bring their upgrades to Malaysia. They didn't bring anything to this race - everyone is waiting for their 2015 front wing evolution. Their current FW is pretty similar to 2014. In a way they can decide to hardly bring any upgrades (and save money for the company) but still dominate.

scarbs
scarbs

Paddy Lowe told me there's only a few small bits and pieces coming for Sepang

dans79

scarbs wrote:There's no inlet, that opening is sealed by a panel attached to the bulkhead, leaving a smooth continuous under surface
Thank you, I was confused by the article, as it called it an airflow passage.
197 104 103 7