Cokebottle comparisons

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
SectorOne

Cokebottle comparisons

If you can find images of other cars in this angle that would be great. Could still use a slightly better one for the Ferrari.

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Sevach
Sevach

Re: Cokebottle comparisons

Last edited by Sevach on 01 Feb 2015, 23:27, edited 2 times in total.

Sevach
Sevach

From a slight different angle.

Toro Rosso "winning" the battle?

Artur Craft

I think this one with better lights is a better comparison:

Mclaren just a bit tighter than Red Bull on the area of the RW centerline but overall, they both are the tightest there. Red Bull is quite tighter than every other car on the undercut area, though.

SectorOne

Wow thank you Artur, basically everything i could ever ask for.
And thank you as well Sevach, it´s interesting studying the packaging of these cars.

Edit: yea seems Toro Rosso edges everyone with Merc, Bull, Macca trailing behind them.
The only diff between those three seems to be how tight they have pinched the hot air exit.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Crabbia
Crabbia

interesting to note how redbull, torro rosso and mclarens airbox area uses the full mandated area template (the trianle that needs to be there for adveretising purposes) behind the airbox while ferrari and merc and williams have to add in a fin to make up the full required area. Mercedes engines are the best examples of the small airbox area probably due to the split turbo design making this area easier to package.

All the components go somewhere. If the coke bottle is tight; the area behind the airbox is bulbous. Mclaren and TR are extreme examples of this.
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...

Sevach
Sevach

I think Williams is the one with more space at the fatest point of the pod, and Toro Rosso is the one leading at in terms of space ahead of the diffuser, but it's very close.

Ferrari trailing a bit, but big improvement over last years car.

dren

SectorOne wrote:Wow thank you Artur, basically everything i could ever ask for.
And thank you as well Sevach, it´s interesting studying the packaging of these cars.

Edit: yea seems Toro Rosso edges everyone with Merc, Bull, Macca trailing behind them.
The only diff between those three seems to be how tight they have pinched the hot air exit.
That's pretty much it. It'll be good to see a top down comparrison. The Red Bull and Mclaren are very similar, go figure, and the Mercedes is more flowing, less curvy, due to the hot air exit starting sooner in the side pod.
Honda!

Blackout

Is the Williams invisible? beacause it has the biggest undercut by far; it almost has a 'double floor' design (how I dislike that word) and other pics show it may have the tightest cokebottle.
You should also take the undercut/floor clearance that is around the widest part of the sidepods int concideraton. The STR and Mclaren are very good in that respect...

Sevach
Sevach

The Williams is hard to compare exactly because of it's "double floor" nature, for example these photos from the top don't display it fully.

variante

It's hard to compare the Ferrari too: it doen't show a great undercut, but it seems to have a huge "uppercut". So the sidepod volume is comparable with the slimmest cars.

The Sauber is by far the "fattest" (again)...is that related to the Ferrari PU or is it an underdevelopment issue? (probably the second one, considering the SF-15T...?)

giantfan10
giantfan10

the car with the best undercut/overcut means absolutely nothing.
if having the most aggressive coke bottle meant that much then red bull last year would have won every race.
ferrari would have been finishing 14th or 15th.
i dont quite get this fixation on how tightly the rear of the car is packaged.... there are 1 million other factors that affect airflow to the diffuser starting with the front wing....
i'm willing to bet a large chunk of cash that maclaren with their anorexic rear end will be nowhere near the front of the field when the real racing starts.
this is primarily now an engine formula... prime example the 2014 red bull.

SectorOne

giantfan10 wrote:this is primarily now an engine formula... prime example the 2014 red bull.
No it´s not. If it really was the case then Red Bull would not have beaten all Mercedes teams except one.
The last one having better or comparable aero to the Red Bull.
It is more even now though in terms of aero/engine but it´s far from being an engine formula.

-
Also on the Williams, yes it tightens up near the floor but it has very fat sidepods.
It´s not even in the same solar system as the Toro Rosso.

variante

giantfan10 wrote:the car with the best undercut/overcut means absolutely nothing.
Ah! That's why every team pushes its own pod design to the point where cooling is seriously compromised in favour of aerodynamics!

Sorry for the irony :) , but you should reconsider your position about aero importance in today's F1...prime example the 2014 RedBull...

giantfan10
giantfan10

variante wrote:
giantfan10 wrote:the car with the best undercut/overcut means absolutely nothing.
Ah! That's why every team pushes its own pod design to the point where cooling is seriously compromised in favour of aerodynamics!

Sorry for the irony :) , but you should reconsider your position about aero importance in today's F1...prime example the 2014 RedBull...
my point is and will remain deciding who has the best coke bottle or undercut will not determine the best or worst car in the 2015 championship.
its a game of compromises over the entire car not team A has a more aggressive engine cover than team B so team A did a better job in their design...
seems to me we are making the same point and disagreeing of examples