Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Thunder

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

Another Picture, by AmuS
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

F1ern
F1ern

f1316 wrote:I may be talking rubbish (usually do) but at first glance this looks like more of a barn door of a front wing. I'd suspect that, rather than purely thinking about how to angle the flow towards the rear (which is still obviously paramount), they're also looking to increase front downforce.

There was some talk in testing about the balance on this car being too far rearward- and the longer nose last year probably created some downforce of its own - so this may be a way of trying to balance the car whilst maintaining maximum rear downforce.

I'm not an aerodynamicist though, so just a layman's thoughts.
It looks so much bigger it must produce more downforce right? Maybe with the new motor they can afford more wing? I am not an aero guy as well, just an F1 fan :)

pciarro
pciarro

F1ern wrote: It looks so much bigger it must produce more downforce right? Maybe with the new motor they can afford more wing? I am not an aero guy as well, just an F1 fan :)
Is it confirmed that Ferrari is going to use an updated engine?

F1NAC

pciarro wrote:
F1ern wrote: It looks so much bigger it must produce more downforce right? Maybe with the new motor they can afford more wing? I am not an aero guy as well, just an F1 fan :)
Is it confirmed that Ferrari is going to use an updated engine?
we will see when FIA publishes info regarding usage of PU elements. If there is new ICE it will be listed

f300v10
f300v10

There are subtle changes to all the flap elements with the endplate and cascade seemingly the same. In addition to the obvious change to three upper white flaps, the shape of the second red flap is different, and it now features a slot in the outer section. There are also what I assume to be additional vortex generators between the first and second main flaps.

Fer.Fan
Fer.Fan

Thunders wrote:Another Picture, by AmuS
http://img1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Fer ... 945106.jpg
Looks like angle of all five elements is different. Much more aggressive, more upright, like Mercedes FW.
This FW should produce much more down force. =D> =D> =D> =D>

f300v10
f300v10

Kimi confirms new engine spec:

"We have a plan, like we had last year, to make certain things at certain times, improve and bring new parts for some races," he said. "The plan is similar and we're following it, it will be a different engine, a new engine, but it's part of the normal progress throughout the year.

"Is it going to make an awful lot of difference? I don't know. There's nothing wrong with my engine, it's just a new spec. I don't know how it's going to be -- we'll see."

Sevach
Sevach

falonso81

I think that the main plane is also more "straightened". There does not seem to be a bump over that IIR logo

Juzh

Angle of attack is visibly higher and surface area seems increased on the new spec wing. This will without a doubt create more downforce at expense of drag, which is intriguing given Sochi's long straights. Renault powered cars can only dream of running those angles.

Ferrari obviously believes air flow to the rear of the car won't be affected. The higher the angle, the more difficult it is in general to control airflow.

bhall II
bhall II

f300v10 wrote:There are also what I assume to be additional vortex generators between the first and second main flaps.
I think those are slot-gap separators that keep the wing from stalling when the flap flexes under load. If so, they form something of a pivot.

giantfan10
giantfan10

Juzh wrote:Angle of attack is visibly higher and surface area seems increased on the new spec wing. This will without a doubt create more downforce at expense of drag, which is intriguing given Sochi's long straights. Renault powered cars can only dream of running those angles.

Ferrari obviously believes air flow to the rear of the car won't be affected. The higher the angle, the more difficult it is in general to control airflow.
you are correct as far as air flow to the back of the car and controlling it BUT you have to remember that an F1 car does not get the majority of the air flowing to the diffuser from the front wing elements.There is a pretty sizeable gap between the left and right elements of the wing that feeds the diffuser around and through the nose.

F1NAC

Official, new ICE in Ferrari

GPR-A duplicate2

With more downforce at the front, the car would be more pointier and requires a good ratio of rise in rear downforce to avoid oversteer and would then create tyre grains at the rear. No doubt it is going to be draggier than it is right now. The question I have is, will Ferrari too suffer like Mercedes now, while chasing cars at front? The more a car becomes heavier at the front downforce, causing a lot more dependency on clean air, probably the difficult it becomes to keep it clean in corner entries due to car suffering understeer in the situation of lacking clean air and receiving wake of the car in front.

And they may be OK with that and are probably betting themselves on PU gain and making everything possible to score high in qualifying and NOT land up in chasing situation. Just like what Mercedes doing today.

Juzh

F1NAC wrote:Official, new ICE in Ferrari

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ChMj5ffWYAAYbkA.jpg
It was said on sky f1 ferrari do not yet run the new ice, but will do so tomorrow.