Williams FW38 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Re: Williams FW38 Mercedes

Craig Scarborough ‏@ScarbsTech

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Alberto Rodríguez ‏@Albrodpul

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Sevach
Sevach

Webber2011
Webber2011

Would someone be able to explain what the device with the filter coming from the fuel tank does ?
I've seen it on other cars as well, but this one looks like it has a collector of some sort ?

Thanks.

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Craig Scarborough ‏@ScarbsTech
Overnight the cars are secured in covers to enforce Parc Fermè.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Webber2011 wrote:Would someone be able to explain what the device with the filter coming from the fuel tank does ?
I've seen it on other cars as well, but this one looks like it has a collector of some sort ?

Thanks.
It's a breather to cope with temperature changes and expansion/contraction in the tank. I imagine the chamber on this one is just to condense any fuel vapor.

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Craig Scarborough
Troubles on the grid for Williams?

Webber2011
Webber2011

PhillipM wrote:
Webber2011 wrote:Would someone be able to explain what the device with the filter coming from the fuel tank does ?

Thanks.
It's a breather to cope with temperature changes and expansion/contraction in the tank. I imagine the chamber on this one is just to condense any fuel vapor.
Thanks a lot PhillipM.
I figured it was a breather, but this one looked different with the chamber.
Your explanation makes perfect sense.

It's interesting how the teams go around designing something like this, which I imagined would be a fairly standard part.
I saw one on another car, (the McLaren I think ?).
From memory it had no chamber, and the filter was huge compared to the Williams version.

Just goes to show how different the solutions can be from different designers.

Cheers mate :wink:

PhillipM
PhillipM

I find the little bits like this (storage clamps, brake coolers for pitting, etc), are probably where the bored engineers let their creativity rule in these days of locked down regulations, some of the jacks, packing cases, etc, are works of art.
I do actually have a breather filter much similar to that at my workshop from a Manor, it has a beautfully machined billet piece that fits to the car, a little carbon holder for the filter, and then a bit of old rubber line and two tie wraps connecting them :lol: #-o

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

I have made some comments (few weeks ago) regarding the work Williams is doing on the front suspension of the car.
Below you can get some clues on how the system is working for Mercedes.
https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/775609027858489344
So, in resume:
- Mercedes spent 4 years to develop FRIC system. After the ban of the FRIC system they used the experience gained to develop the new system.
- front "hydraulic computer" able to give different suspensions setup in the following scenarios : acceleration, deceleration, slow corners, fast corners, straight lines
- the system require a great deal of engineering setup experience
- Mercedes found a loophole in the regulation in order to accommodate the system the front of the car

- Red Bull has scooped one engineer from Mercedes in winter. So they were able to replicate the system. This is one of the reason they are so good this season. Renault engine still has 50 hp deficit.
- almost all the teams have the system (of course in a different level of refinement) installed on the rear suspension

My guess: the work Williams have done with their "strange" front and rear wings are related this new hydraulic suspension (front and rear).

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Albert Fabrega ES ‏@AlbertFabrega

LookBackTime
LookBackTime