Mercedes AMG F1 W07

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ME4ME

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W07

Even if Mercedes has an engine update available, I doubt they will introduce it within their own team. It wouldn't be fair to Hamilton who has a set of SPA spec engines available only. It would however be possible to let another team test the engines for them..

hurril
hurril

No onboard video from the engine failure yet?

hollus

Yes, look on formula1.com
Rivals, not enemies.

hurril
hurril

hollus wrote:Yes, look on formula1.com
Thank you very much.

Well, you can clearly hear it throwing a rod or something very mechanical. There's a boop and change in turbo sound as well so something went out the exhaust. Perhaps a valve hitting a piston and then leaving through the turbine. The engine did provide a little power, responding to gas.

godlameroso

godlameroso wrote:Interesting, perhaps they have all those slotted surfaces to prevent separation because the chassis rolls so much. Maybe the aero is designed with the chassis roll in mind. In that it's more effective when the chassis is pitched left or right.
Watching Hamilton's qualifying lap it seems the chassis rolls regardless of the state of weight transfer. Even the slightest movement causes roll. Really makes you wonder.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

Image The car is barely moving at this point so I think this picture illustrates how hard the rear of the car works the cooling exits and the exhaust and how the rear wing and diffuser all take advantage of this.
Saishū kōnā

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

godlameroso

Here's another angle, the car is almost stationary at this point and look how hard the flow over the diffuser is angled upwards.
Saishū kōnā

Paul

It is hot smoke though, which tends to go upwards anyway, so not an exact evidence of usual flows in that area..

godlameroso

Paul wrote:It is hot smoke though, which tends to go upwards anyway, so not an exact evidence of usual flows in that area..
When he parked the car the smoke went straight up like you said.
Saishū kōnā

Shrieker

hurril wrote:
hollus wrote:Yes, look on formula1.com
Thank you very much.

Well, you can clearly hear it throwing a rod or something very mechanical. There's a boop and change in turbo sound as well so something went out the exhaust. Perhaps a valve hitting a piston and then leaving through the turbine. The engine did provide a little power, responding to gas.
I did not hear anything lol
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

atanatizante

On other forum people are speaking that the root cause about that ICE bearing failure was about those atrocious atmospheric condition that occurred last weekend ... and not the temperature but humidity was too high ...
These above in conjunction with a wrong decision of setting up the car with less aero cooling were the main reason behind that failure ...
Paddy Lowe on Sky said that they use now a more viscous engine oil and Autosport said it would affect the car only in Qualy, meaning they couldn`t use that aggressive engine mode mapping, hence a 3-4 tenth loss per lap ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

SectorOne

:shock:

Credit: @LauraLeslie23

Actual credit as photo is taken by @peterjfoxf1
Last edited by SectorOne on 12 Oct 2016, 18:55, edited 1 time in total.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

atlantis
atlantis

SectorOne wrote::shock:

https://s13.postimg.org/4x69no3kn/Namnl_s.png

Credit: @LauraLeslie23
The Holy suspension!

SectorOne

It might be the best image i´ve ever seen that shows just the insane forces of the car, driver and tires have to take in every high speed corner for 1,5 hours.

Just the force the suspension-parts have to take to not just snap like twigs is mindblowing.

Edit, And just to remind everyone just how high those diffuser-strakes normally sit:

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"