McLaren MP4-31 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Thunder

Re: McLaren MP4-31 Honda

Red FlowViz is back =D>
https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/748795028328165378 And apparently a new Floor too. https://twitter.com/andrewbensonf1/stat ... 8900632577 And an artsy Shot from the McLaren Twitter.

Edit 3: more Pictures https://twitter.com/suttonimages/status ... 0076555264
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

PhillipM
PhillipM

turbof1 wrote:I'm in the dark here, but going from intuition they want to keep a good upwash flow from the rear wing with the intention to still drive the diffuser. It's about aero efficiency. Although this perhaps might also have a negative impact on diffuser outwash.
I'm of the same opinion - reducing the camber or AoA of the rear wing any more than they have been must be negatively impacting driving/linking the diffuser from the wing upwash - so perhaps this is a way to both use more wing angle and drive more mass flow over the top of the diffuser, at the expense of the wing efficiency itself.
Basically they're running less rear wing but keeping the diffuser driven?

Paul

Seems plausible. Like it's enhancing coke bottle effect by venting air from outside the end-plates.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Just watching FP2 and there's some massive compliance in the McLaren's front uprights/suspension under braking, you can see the brake ducts rotating around quite a distance :shock:

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

those slots remind me of the 29, only the direction is completely inverted now? Guide air inside now.

GoranF1
GoranF1

anyone knows if new rear wing is on Alonso car or not during fastest laps?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

diffuser

GoranF1 wrote:anyone knows if new rear wing is on Alonso car or not during fastest laps?

not certain they can replace that whole rear assembly that quickly

michl420
michl420

The new endplates where just a couple of laps at the beginning on the car. I guss the change can be done in around 10 minutes.

Pany
Pany

I ask myself: why McLaren is still developping so much? they are in midfield, no way to win races!
1) do they expect important PU upgrade (even that honda does not confirms)?
2) These developments will suit well also on 2017 car? so why show them to other teams?
3) Do really need to show the car is becoming really good and PU is not? because of sponsors.
4) Maybe they can by contract sign off with Honda soon ( this season is last chance for a decent PU) and turn to Renault in 2017 with a good chassis? This would explayn also why no other small team is even thinking to go for honda in 2017.

If it is point 3, it would be really sad!!

a1b2i3r45

PhillipM wrote:Just watching FP2 and there's some massive compliance in the McLaren's front uprights/suspension under braking, you can see the brake ducts rotating around quite a distance :shock:
Would you please elaborate further? What do you mean by brake ducts rotating around?

PhillipM
PhillipM

The uprights (and hence brake ducts, given they're the easiest indicator) rotate quite a way when the brakes are applied, there's quite a lot more compliance than you'd expect on other cars.

CLKGTR
CLKGTR

Do these new vertical slots on McLaren rear wing endplate increase downforce and drag by mixing the outside air and giving more airflow hence more upwash effect on rear wing and diffuser? Or they reduce drag (and downforce) in some way (how)?

Piola and Sommers on Motorsport say This aggressive design should not only increase downforce but reduce drag too, as the designers continue to search for maximum efficiency.

Which is impossible because every downforce brings its induced drag with it...
Last edited by CLKGTR on 01 Jul 2016, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.

GoranF1
GoranF1

AS is reporting Mclaren evaluating if they will run new wing or not for rest of weekend.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

wesley123
wesley123

The slots in the rear wing give me the idea that the application might be very similar as the slots in the front wing end plate(the curl into the footplate, that is). The difference however is that the End plate has much less room to give an outward shape to it
CLKGTR wrote:
Not entirely true. While the general rule is that with downforce comes drag(and vice versa) it can also be that both improve.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

turbof1

CLKGTR wrote:Do these new vertical slots on McLaren rear wing endplate increase downforce and drag by mixing the outside air and giving more airflow hence more upwash effect on rear wing and diffuser? Or they reduce drag (and downforce) in some way (how)?

Piola and Sommers on Motorsport say This aggressive design should not only increase downforce but reduce drag too, as the designers continue to search for maximum efficiency.

Impossible that the rear wing has increased downforce. You are introducing neutral pressure flow into a low pressure area, which inevitable leads to a decreased downforce production and indeed even a decreased efficiency of the aerofoil. It does reduce drag.

Unless I am missing something, they are doing this to keep rear wing upwash linked with diffuser upwash by having a big AoA wing.
#AeroFrodo