McLaren MP4-31 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
f1rules
f1rules

Re: McLaren MP4-31 Honda

last one of rearwing comparisons. Mclaren and ferraris upper element seems similar but ferraris main plane, where the front is lower allows for more air to hit hence more df & drag. Interesting enough, pats influence on the merc rearwing design is very obvious. When he was in charge at mclaren they had a similar concept with a very large upper element. Mclaren was at that time, the only team following that path

PhillipM
PhillipM

Well, that's probably down to the wing being more efficient with the larger upper element - unless you're using the DRS. Which Mercs don't use very often :D

GoranF1
GoranF1

I am a bit confused about this big gap to Mercedes now.....car looks nice and planted....speed trap is showing a 7km/h deficit......so where does the 2+ gap coming from?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

ollandos
ollandos

GoranF1 wrote:I am a bit confused about this big gap to Mercedes now.....car looks nice and planted....speed trap is showing a 7km/h deficit......so where does the 2+ gap coming from?

dont look q3 times ...to compare with q2.......from sector 2 all days look like mclaren run low DF level ...and from sector 1-3 honda and renault its close between them but little back from 2015 ferrari PU
bahrain-china-canada-aystria-monza-spa the worst races for mp4/31.....i hope some wet races in those trucks and honda upgrades.....

Pierce89

f1rules wrote:obviously there is more to it then what meets the eye, still mclaren using less rearwing for sure, if its because the diffuser and rear aero is extremely efficient, if its because they cant balance out the extra rear df or if its to help the honda pu a bit until they catch up is everyones quess, probably they think this is the best compromise. In testing mclaren used a similar high df rearwing where the front of the main plane was lowered allowing more air to reach
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/248 ... arison.png
Well....it's not because they have more rear downforce than they can balance at the front. All the cars are rear downforce limited since 2014. The rules simply make front downforce WAY easier to find than rear downforce.

IMHO the lack of rear wing area is strictly down to a lack of power.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

zioture
zioture

Comparison new Fw

DiogoBrand

f1rules wrote:last one of rearwing comparisons. Mclaren and ferraris upper element seems similar but ferraris main plane, where the front is lower allows for more air to hit hence more df & drag. Interesting enough, pats influence on the merc rearwing design is very obvious. When he was in charge at mclaren they had a similar concept with a very large upper element. Mclaren was at that time, the only team following that path
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/248 ... arison.png
Isn't the effectiveness of DRS proportional to the upper flap chord? I thought It would be, since with a bigger flap you get a bigger reduction in frontal area with DRS open.

PhillipM
PhillipM

It's inverse with the DRS, because you can only open the flap a set distance. So with a smaller flap you can effectively get a bigger angle change .

diffuser

GoranF1 wrote:I am a bit confused about this big gap to Mercedes now.....car looks nice and planted....speed trap is showing a 7km/h deficit......so where does the 2+ gap coming from?
That's the thing with running more downforce.. Your faster in all the curves and corners, faster accelerating everywhere. The speed trap is just 1 point in time in the track.

PlatinumZealot

PhillipM wrote:It's inverse with the DRS, because you can only open the flap a set distance. So with a smaller flap you can effectively get a bigger angle change .

But at the same time a smaller flap has less drag to lose than a bigger flap. I think this sort of thing requires wind tunnel testing to optimise - but generally, yes the trend was to go from the first time huge DRS flaps to smaller ones.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

mclaren111

Like this angle of new FW :D

wizzer
wizzer

If I recall correctly, the smaller DRS flap was there when they were allowed to use DRS whenever they want in qualy. It was more draggy but they kept it opened in fast corners.

Thunder

https://twitter.com/HondaRacingF1/statu ... 3016442881 Image

EDIT: As just seen on Autosport the Steering Wheel posted by Honda is the 2015 Model. Here is the 2016 one:
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

the EDGE
the EDGE

Yes, obviously it was a 2015 steering wheel, as it has a double clutch leaver, banned for this year

F1ern
F1ern

the EDGE wrote:
Yes, obviously it was a 2015 steering wheel, as it has a double clutch leaver, banned for this year
They still can have 2 clutch levers, and they can use it if the motor going to stall i think,