Red Bull RB12 TAG-Heuer

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Blackout

Re: Red Bull RB12 TAG-Heuer

But F1 teams like RBR sometimes use 3d printed parts on their cars, and not only as prototypes. RBR, Renault and others used brake 3d printed brake ducts AFAIR, other teams used 3d printed parts for their F-duct, RW endplates etc.
Last edited by Blackout on 19 Mar 2016, 20:59, edited 1 time in total.

trinidefender
trinidefender

Blackout wrote:But F1 teams like RBR sometimes use 3d printed parts on their cars, and not only as prototypes. RBR, Renault and others used brake 3d printed brake ducts AFAIR, other teams used 3d printed parts for their RW endplates etc.
How do you know RB uses 3D printed parts on their brake ducts? I have heard of teams using 3D parts in situations where they are very short on time and can't mould parts quick enough.

Blackout

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Saturday:

DiogoBrand

Incredibly beautiful car, just hope it gets the PU it deserves through this season.
Why are there a bunch of teams leaving a little bump at the front suspension pushrods this year, though? RB, STR and Haas are the ones I can remember.

hurril
hurril

It does look damn good and it also seems to be a very good car.

ME4ME

Mclaren as well. They place the suspension rockers as high as possible for optimal kinematics. It also reduces stress on the rod itself and can probably be designed a little bit weaker/lighter because of the increased angle to the road. A few years ago with the high noses the push rod was mounted even higher.

gandharva

Car seems better as expected. Quali still hampered by Renault PU, but race pace was fine. Renault used the 7 tokens wisely. RBR outperformed every other team that was supposed to be equal or even better by a good margin, and according to Horner/Ricciardo they were close to Ferraris pace at some stages of the race.

Can't wait to see that car perform with upgraded PU!

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Yes, the new Renault PUs might not be so bad. While I did see Lewis blow past Ricciardo fairly easily on the front straight, I didn't see him give much ground to any of the other Merc teams.

I don't know if anyone noticed but the best comparison I saw was when Button 4 wheel drifted onto the from straight chasing Magnusen's Renault. Even with an open DRS, a 10 tenths run thru the corner onto the straight, and a draft he still couldn't close on the Renault. While we're only talking about Honda vs Renault, you still have to conclude that they are in the hunt with the new PU.

When they get to Canada they'll get the next update. I have to say that Renault have really stepped up to the plate this year. They now look pretty competent. Last year was sad ..

Jarryd991
Jarryd991

Lets not get ahead of ourselves now guys.
wait until we get to china to see how much the power units get exposed.. that will reveal all I fear.

drunkf1fan
drunkf1fan

BreezyRacer wrote:Yes, the new Renault PUs might not be so bad. While I did see Lewis blow past Ricciardo fairly easily on the front straight, I didn't see him give much ground to any of the other Merc teams.

I don't know if anyone noticed but the best comparison I saw was when Button 4 wheel drifted onto the from straight chasing Magnusen's Renault. Even with an open DRS, a 10 tenths run thru the corner onto the straight, and a draft he still couldn't close on the Renault. While we're only talking about Honda vs Renault, you still have to conclude that they are in the hunt with the new PU.

When they get to Canada they'll get the next update. I have to say that Renault have really stepped up to the plate this year. They now look pretty competent. Last year was sad ..

Very hard to compare to Honda because no one really knows where Honda is at. If you look at even Ferrari vs Merc results last year you'll see that the time difference changes significantly from track to track. So this could be a good track for Renault, bad for Honda but another track Honda gain a second a lap and Renault lose half a second.

With Ricciardo, Hamilton breezed past him after around 20 laps on whatever tires Ricciardo was on, I guess softs, then Ricciardo pitted at the end of that lap iirc. Merc were definitely faster but he breezed past more because Hamilton had mediums that had plenty of life left in them and Ricciardo had so much less grip out of the corner. The ease of the overtake wasn't a good indication of engine difference.

Chuckjr

Also the fact Ham could do nothing with the Toro Rosso's lap after lap reveals more evidence supporting the easy pass on Ric may be a bit misleading.
Watching F1 since 1986.

drunkf1fan
drunkf1fan

Chuckjr wrote:Also the fact Ham could do nothing with the Toro Rosso's lap after lap reveals more evidence supporting the easy pass on Ric may be a bit misleading.
Except TR's have a Ferrari 2015 engine in there remember ;)

Not sure how much faster the Ferrari 2016 engine is, a fair bit but that 2015 engine had way way more grunt than Renault did and likely still does.

Blackout

This is a bit OT but what about the Toro Rossos vs Palmer struggle? (and the STR had much fresher tires). Power difference isnt huge IMO. We can discuss that in the team or race thread.
And Ric passed many Merc engined cars -and a (Toro Rosso?) quite easily and was happy about that, underlining the power gain https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-uj-vjQ-sA

Triumph1188
Triumph1188

Blackout wrote:This is a bit OT but what about the Toro Rossos vs Palmer struggle? (and the STR had much fresher tires). Power difference isnt huge IMO. We can discuss that in the team or race thread.
And Ric passed many Merc engined cars -and a (Toro Rosso?) quite easily and was happy about that, underlining the power gain https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-uj-vjQ-sA
Some of that could also be that the Red Bull chassis has superior aero and mechanical grip to the Torro Rosso cars, so it is better able to follow. I obviously have no evidence to prove this is the case, but it is a possibility.