2017 Formula 1 suspension designs

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dans79

Re: 2017 Formula 1 suspension designs

FrukostScones wrote:AMUS:

tomorrow 07.02. TD meeting of teams,
big topic Merc & RB suspension...
Ferrari wasn't able to replicate, others wants to have it banned too...
threatening protest at Melbourne...

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... t=&act=url
I think this is a lot of smoke and mirrors, as Ferrari has to real way of knowing how the Merc, or RBR systems work.
197 104 103 7

Gridlock

godlameroso wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if TR... don't protest.
You think Scuderia Red Bull Tactical Chicane will protest an advantage the mothership has?

My dubiousness is obvious.

Edit - just noticed you might have meant the opposite #-o

Thunder

dans79 wrote: I think this is a lot of smoke and mirrors, as Ferrari has to real way of knowing how the Merc, or RBR systems work.
That's the Point. If Ferrari has a clue but doesn't know alltogether how it works they can Protest and the FIA, in order to prove there is no illegal systems used, has to reveal how the Merc ans RB suspensions work. And then Ferrari knows. ^^

(that's at least what the Article suggests)
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Gothrek
Gothrek

Any news on this alleged meeting? As I am very curious.

dans79

Thunders wrote:
dans79 wrote: That's the Point. If Ferrari has a clue but doesn't know alltogether how it works they can Protest and the FIA, in order to prove there is no illegal systems used, has to reveal how the Merc ans RB suspensions work. And then Ferrari knows. ^^
That's worse, The FIA needs to tell Ferrari to you know what and figure it out themselves.

This is exactly why they are in the position they are in. Instead of putting their nose to the grindstone, they are always looking for some quick fix, or political means of getting back to the top, it's all rather pathetic.
197 104 103 7

godlameroso

Politics doesn't work as a reactionary measure, politics only works when you can plan ahead, and think a few steps ahead of your competition. Toto Wolff is a master of this, you never see him make reactionary statements. His complaints are measured, it's obvious he takes a long term approach, he operates on a longer timeline. Montezemolo and Marchionne are more reactionary, which makes them look bad in the sense that it doesn't look like they're clever generals who can plan ahead, that they operate on a shorter time line. The same thing happened with Red Bull's comments to Renault, however warranted they were it was a reactionary stance, look how quickly they changed their tune once they got pole in Monaco.

Anyway this is completely off topic so the mods may move or delete this post.
Saishū kōnā

toraabe
toraabe

dans79 wrote:
Thunders wrote:
dans79 wrote: That's the Point. If Ferrari has a clue but doesn't know alltogether how it works they can Protest and the FIA, in order to prove there is no illegal systems used, has to reveal how the Merc ans RB suspensions work. And then Ferrari knows. ^^
That's worse, The FIA needs to tell Ferrari to you know what and figure it out themselves.

This is exactly why they are in the position they are in. Instead of putting their nose to the grindstone, they are always looking for some quick fix, or political means of getting back to the top, it's all rather pathetic.
Ferrari has to figure out this themself. This is their issue and their problem.
You may see Force India well ahead of Ferrari this year..

FrukostScones

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

bill shoe
bill shoe

I read the above article with google-translate. I was struck by the similarity between the robo-translation's murky gibberish and the FIA's technical directives on suspension legality..

Gothrek
Gothrek

So judging from the article, it normally will be banned, but there might be discussion about it?

ripper
ripper

I really don't understand how it is possible that rules are still not clear when the the championship is going to start in 45 days. I think it is totally absurd, that's something that new F1 needs to sort out. You can't start a championship in these conditions, whole F1 movement will lose credibility.

Tim.Wright

FIA rules are a literary and technical disaster in every category. It's part of the fun.
Not the engineer at Force India

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

ripper wrote:I really don't understand how it is possible that rules are still not clear when the the championship is going to start in 45 days. I think it is totally absurd, that's something that new F1 needs to sort out. You can't start a championship in these conditions, whole F1 movement will lose credibility.
This doesn't even scratch the surface of the F1 lunacy. If F1 hasn't lost credibility when they change the rules multiple times during one race weekend, then I can't even fathom a way it could ever lose credibility.

bill shoe
bill shoe

Whole situation is basically:

FIA decides to ban X.
FIA does not ban X in the rules, only in a Technical Directive.
FIA starts to realize a Technical Directive is a problematic approach to banning this.
FIA starts to realize it's also difficult to even define X.
FIA then asks teams to agree to more clear and enforceable rules regarding X.
Teams do not agree to this.
So going into the 2017 season, the legality and enforceability of suspensions is... ?

DaveW
DaveW

bill shoe wrote:Whole situation is basically:
Brilliant..