Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power +

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dans79

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power +

Unless the FIA can find some kind of safety issue, or get unanimous agreement from all teams, those T wings are going to be on the cars all season.
197 104 103 7

Morteza

Via AMuS
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

CLKGTR
CLKGTR

Small tech update...nothing new or unseen, just nice highlighted pics

https://maxf1.net/en/mercedes-shows-new ... ard-setup/

roon
roon

ForMuLaOne
ForMuLaOne

turbof1 wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 15:40
djones wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 15:36
Its one argument and potentially valid.

But given the success of this team in recent years, I think their skills and approach is probably justified as the best.

I see details as refinement, so stretching out every single mm of workable space.

Just a different way of looking at it. If this was a low budget, back end team, then I'd probably agree its a brute force and throwing things at it to try and help approach.
Right, but it still has nothing to do in here. You are supposed to talk in these car topics about the functionality of specific parts. Complexity is highly subjective. For instance I find the corner matrix of an orb hugely complex as it interlines infinite amounts of corners into a perfect curve, but somebody else might find that proposterous. Let's stay objective: discussion about parts and functionality of parts only.
We often judge cars in comparison to others (which creates the illusion of being objective). I believe it is just astonishing to many members here that merc shows up in melbourne with an even more refined car while others made much smaller steps even though they started with a simplistic approach. In fact we were all expecting RB to come up with a huge aero update this weekend, but they did not, they still look simple. Merc launched the most complex spec and came to Melbourne with an even more complex version. That is a fact and not just a subjective observation. And it is of importance as well: Merc drivers stated they had problems in finding the sweetspot of the car. Many experts like Mike Gascoyne were wondering how to handle this complex aero set up, they judged the car to offer a narrow window by it´s look only (very subjective , isn´t it). The car´s performance is a result of the sum of it´s parts and their interactions. So where should we discuss car hardware on a holistic level? The secret is told by the overall picture and people here are wondering if merc´s hardware and they way they developed it is the right path to take.

f1rules
f1rules

And thats what i just dont understand honestly, both rb and mclaren seem to have choosen a basic route from which they can develop, what i dont understand is how on earth merc can show up, after new aero rules, and deliver a car that looks so mature and developed, in the past not even 3-4 years of stable rules would result in this level of maturity. Are they spending gazzillions more then others? Is their windtunnel the most sophisticated tunnel ever to be build, so accurate and calibrated they without problems can verify complicated concepts like this? Do they have an unreal cfd technology that is so close to real life? Or how on earth they do this?

dans79

f1rules wrote:
25 Mar 2017, 01:39
And thats what i just dont understand honestly, both rb and mclaren seem to have choosen a basic route from which they can develop, what i dont understand is how on earth merc can show up, after new aero rules, and deliver a car that looks so mature and developed, in the past not even 3-4 years of stable rules would result in this level of maturity. Are they spending gazzillions more then others? Is their windtunnel the most sophisticated tunnel ever to be build, so accurate and calibrated they without problems can verify complicated concepts like this? Do they have an unreal cfd technology that is so close to real life? Or how on earth they do this?
In my opinion because they where so far ahead in 2014, they have been able to be proactive instead of reactive. In other words instead of planing for 3 or 4 races from now, they are planing for the second half of the season and next year. In technical fields, not being under a constant time crunch can really pay dividends.
197 104 103 7

ferkan
ferkan

Merc comes with most complex car on test 1. Brings bunch of updates on test 2. Everyone says "RB is too simple, Newey will bring bunch of stuff to Melbourne". Comes Melbourne and Merc piles on more stuff. How?

They have added more stuff on already very complex car then entire field combined. Its absolutely crazy.

giantfan10
giantfan10

dans79 wrote:
25 Mar 2017, 01:53
f1rules wrote:
In my opinion because they where so far ahead in 2014, they have been able to be proactive instead of reactive. In other words instead of planing for 3 or 4 races from now, they are planing for the second half of the season and next year. In technical fields, not being under a constant time crunch can really pay dividends.
Agreed.
When you can beat your rivals with little to no stress you have lots of time to look to the future.
From a visual perspective the Mercedes looks like a hot mess to me.

F1Krof

f1rules wrote:
What I suspected when I saw 2016's W floor, I said to myself there is no way a human being could design such a detailed thing. I'm a computer science engineer and I can tell you by the looks of it, from what I've seen in some of the projects, the bargeboard area could not have been completely desgined from a human hand. I know we all know about CFDs, every team has them, but I think Merc's using something more sophisticated. Some extremely sophisticated Machine Learning stuff is going on. I can assure you, a combination of Deep Learning and Machine Learning combination leads you to such unimaginable shapes. With their resources, such algorithms could outperform brute force approaches of trial and error with CFD and Windtunnel. They could cut the time necessary to come up with different shapes, they could produce faster pools of parts and just go crazy test them. I know every team is doing something similar, but Mercedes is way ahead I think.

Remember they were the first team to upload real-time data through wifi, analyze them in real time and react accordingly since 2014 with Qualcomm. There must be something about this.

E.g. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZUNRmwoijw).
Wroom wroom

diego.liv
diego.liv

F1Krof wrote:
25 Mar 2017, 12:07
What I suspected when I saw 2016's W floor, I said to myself there is no way a human being could design such a detailed thing. I'm a computer science engineer and I can tell you by the looks of it, from what I've seen in some of the projects, the bargeboard area could not have been completely desgined from a human hand. I know we all know about CFDs, every team has them, but I think Merc's using something more sophisticated. Some extremely sophisticated Machine Learning stuff is going on. I can assure you, a combination of Deep Learning and Machine Learning combination leads you to such unimaginable shapes. With their resources, such algorithms could outperform brute force approaches of trial and error with CFD and Windtunnel. They could cut the time necessary to come up with different shapes, they could produce faster pools of parts and just go crazy test them. I know every team is doing something similar, but Mercedes is way ahead I think.

Remember they were the first team to upload real-time data through wifi, analyze them in real time and react accordingly since 2014 with Qualcomm. There must be something about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR5N2Jl8k14. From 10:50 Conti starts talking about applying a neuro system, from 12:30 he gets to the part where vehicles are involved.
On a side note, is TED* something well structured and established?

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

diego.liv wrote:
25 Mar 2017, 13:46
F1Krof wrote:
25 Mar 2017, 12:07

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR5N2Jl8k14. From 10:50 Conti starts talking about applying a neuro system, from 12:30 he gets to the part where vehicles are involved.
On a side note, is TED* something well structured and established?
As far as I know TED talks are quite well regarded but TEDx are less so.

f1rules
f1rules

Thanks for the replies, makes sense i quess about being proactive instead of reactive. Andni agree it looks a mess, but a damm well functioning mess and i do really appreciate the detailing

diego.liv
diego.liv

(AMuS)Qualified with shark fin chimney

henra
henra

f1rules wrote:
Are they spending gazzillions more then others?
Looking at Merc's history when they tackle a Motorsports category you can take this as a given.