Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power +

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ringo

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power +

I was of the mind originally its aero, but the car looked fine in barcelona, unless there is more energy going into the tyres on that circuit compared to monaco to hide that weakness.

Pat Symonds is suggesting that the surface of the tyre is warm but not enough energy is going through to bring the core of the tyre up to temperature for it to be in the performance window. I think his opinion holds some merit given that williams suffered greatly with this issue in the past 3 years or so.

This may well be setup related or aero related. But i am more inclined to believe it is setup, seeing as though bottas didn't have such a bad run as lewis around monaco; though the car still need an extra lap to bring up the tyre temperatures.
For Sure!!

ringo

PhillipM wrote:
28 May 2017, 01:39
ringo wrote:
28 May 2017, 01:12
The car just looks undriveable because of having unbalanced levels of grip between the front and rear axle.
The setup issue and the massive balance problem that's not responding to changes is usually a sign of a cracked chassis - but I can't think of any incident that would have done it.

maybe a defect? or broken suspension part or leaking fric seal. :?
For Sure!!

Chuckjr

Surely they would have tests to know if the floor was cracked??
Watching F1 since 1986.

scarbs
scarbs

PlatinumZealot wrote:
27 May 2017, 13:33
RicME85 wrote:
26 May 2017, 14:21
PlatinumZealot wrote:
26 May 2017, 01:01
Another mysterious slit...
Two on the boomerangs and now one here

https://imgr4.auto-motor-und-sport.de/M ... 072215.jpg
https://twitter.com/ScarbsTech/status/8 ... 0078827520
Really now? I have no idea what Scarbs is trying to say there. Hard to see how 0.5mm slit on top of the car has anything to do with the floor... Waiting for that explanation!
Surprised you can't grasp the geometry and rules under discussion here. Here's a pic clearly showing the slot and opening in the floor below.

zac510
zac510

PlatinumZealot wrote:
RicME85 wrote:
26 May 2017, 14:21
PlatinumZealot wrote:
26 May 2017, 01:01
Another mysterious slit...
Two on the boomerangs and now one here

https://imgr4.auto-motor-und-sport.de/M ... 072215.jpg
https://twitter.com/ScarbsTech/status/8 ... 0078827520
Really now? I have no idea what Scarbs is trying to say there. Hard to see how 0.5mm slit on top of the car has anything to do with the floor... Waiting for that explanation!
This post of scarbs's describes the reason better than the previously linked version.

https://twitter.com/ScarbsTech/status/8 ... 5315390465

hollus

Did anyone get a pic of the winglets in Bottas' chimney? Probably "internal" aero according to the rules. Very clever way to extract the air with a smidgen of centrally located downforce to boot!
Rivals, not enemies.

PlatinumZealot

scarbs wrote:
28 May 2017, 13:24
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Surprised you can't grasp the geometry and rules under discussion here. Here's a pic clearly showing the slot and opening in the floor below.
http://scarbsf1.com/blog1/wp-content/up ... 145649.jpg
Ah but that is what you are here for, Mr. Scarbs 8)
Remember, we the fans don't have the rule book in front of us and we aint got time for wading thru long Pdfs on our 5 inch screens.
Just like in qualifying you have to nail it (the explanation) in one hit! In the ephemeral world of social media we want it all and we want it now.

Mods will have my head for this, but you see... actually, I only pretend I don't understand for the benefit of the masses. 8)
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

sprint car76
sprint car76

The problem that merc is having with getting and keeping heat in their tires seems to be a suspension geometry problem not an areo problem. Moving the upper a frame pivot point to outside the tire causing an ackerman problem??

wuzak
wuzak

hollus wrote:
28 May 2017, 16:15
Did anyone get a pic of the winglets in Bottas' chimney? Probably "internal" aero according to the rules. Very clever way to extract the air with a smidgen of centrally located downforce to boot!
Guiding the airflow for a smooth exit, but I doubt there is much, if any, downforce.

diego.liv
diego.liv

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/merce ... mm-912444/

Merc wrote the FIA for a classification regarding chassis width: during winter testing Merc found out that other teams had a narrower chassis, especially around the survival cell and this is due to an interpretation of the regs (radius regarding A-A B-B sections). As a result Merc is about 4mm wider in some areas.
Next year as always there will be clearer definitions.

adrianjordan

Explains their weight problems if the car's wider than the rest!!

Okay, maybe not all, but some.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Big Mangalhit

adrianjordan wrote:
30 May 2017, 17:40
Explains their weight problems if the car's wider than the rest!!

Okay, maybe not all, but some.
Those 4mm? how much can that weight?

diego.liv
diego.liv

It's more areo limitation than weight limitation I think. The article reminds of RB's openings under the nose for sduct and later for cooling

F1Krof

I think they've misintepreted the tyre behavior. Or Pirelli panicked and went conservative which moved the target way off where the teams expected. Which either Ferrari lucked in, or, you know what I mean.

It is very strange for a team like Mercedes to have such troubles with tyres, they were the masters of suspensions from 13' onwards, something drastically must have changed during those Pirelli Mule Car tests. Even Red Bull conceded that the tests did more harm than good, Pirelli send them off mark as well.
Wroom wroom

aral
aral

"something drastically must have changed during those Pirelli Mule Car tests"
Yes. They were forced to drop their trick suspension.