Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power +

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power +

My point still stands.
That same long wheel base bus could have been on pole in Monaco. No one from Merc was crying about the wheelbase only the Journos.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

shady
shady

I disagree with your point, it was both a mischaracterization by a factor of 2, and there is very clearly an issue with the operating window. it may not have specifically have been the wheelbase, but generally in F1 its not just one thing that is an issue, but a culmination that lead to the end result. to dismiss the wheelbase; as absurd as it is, as a contributing factor to their tire issues, by saying 'its all in journos heads' is not the best way to approach analyzing whats going on with the W08.

santos
santos

PlatinumZealot wrote:
08 Jun 2017, 13:41
My point still stands.
That same long wheel base bus could have been on pole in Monaco. No one from Merc was crying about the wheelbase only the Journos.
I belive it could, but i also belive that long Wheel base wasn't the best to race at Monaco. Mercedes and Force India have the biggest Wheel base of the field. Monaco was the worst for both so far this season.

ScrewCaptain27

Interesting detail on the sidepod flow conditioners:
Courtesy of AMuS
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

zioture
zioture

atanatizante

Could anyone please explain what Scalabroni was meaning by saying : " ... Mercedes finds more trouble into releasing completely to the ground the power generated by the MGU-K, that, as any other electric engine, has a high instant torque peak " ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Drica

atanatizante wrote:
08 Jun 2017, 22:18
Could anyone please explain what Scalabroni was meaning by saying : " ... Mercedes finds more trouble into releasing completely to the ground the power generated by the MGU-K, that, as any other electric engine, has a high instant torque peak " ...
Drivability seems to be the issue with the merc, MGUK most likely isnt calibrated well enough and cuts in too aggressively

ScrewCaptain27

More photos via AMuS:
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

motobaleno

atanatizante wrote:
08 Jun 2017, 22:18
scalabroni bases all his reasoning on the "low rake" philosophy adopted by mercedes that, among other things, forces stiffer rear suspension and limits traction. Here he says that these traction limits are enhanced when mgu-k is activated due to the peculiar torque delivery of electric engines.

All this of course in his view that is not necessarily the right one

Morteza

Via AMuS
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

George-Jung
George-Jung

The 2nd last photo has also been posted in the Mclaren thread..?

Morteza

George-Jung wrote:
09 Jun 2017, 02:03
The 2nd last photo has also been posted in the Mclaren thread..?
Now that you mention it, I checked it and you are correct. It's the Mercedes though, I'm sure (McLaren is orange :mrgreen: ).
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

GPR-A duplicate2

So now, Mercedes have shed some kilos it seems
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 91574.html
Mercedes will use the Friday training in Montreal to go new ways with the chassis tuning. Both LewisHamiltonand Valtteri Bottas do mysteriously: "We have a few new things that we will try." For example, weight has been slimmed down. "We are now close to the ideal," says Bottas.

PhillipM
PhillipM

It's to counteract the long wheelbase that all the journo's say is a problem in tight corners. Now they can just twirl full lock on like a fork-lift driver ;)