Sauber C36 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Giando

Re: Sauber C36 Ferrari

dren wrote:Wouldn't you be creating more drag and surface flow issues by doing so when you could just make the sidepod tighter and let the all of the flow pass around the car to the diffuser?
Possibly it would be useful to deviate the airflow around and above the bigger rear tyres? Just speculating here...

Holm86

dren wrote:Wouldn't you be creating more drag and surface flow issues by doing so when you could just make the sidepod tighter and let the all of the flow pass around the car to the diffuser?
Thats very possible, it was just an idea. Doesnt have to follow the total length of the sidepods, but maybe some sort of winglet to control airflow around the sidepods better.

bhall II
bhall II

Holm86 wrote:Im wondering if there is a way to create 1400mm wide sidepods, and then use the last 100mm on each side to create some sort of wing, tunnel or similar??
The splitter and front face of the sidepods. Static pressure is higher where dynamic pressure (velocity) is lower...

Giando

Also, I am intrigued by these...

1) are they just for aerodinamics purpose?

2) are they also structural parts / tricks to comply with side head protections sizes (a-la-Newey's Williams Fw17)?

wesley123
wesley123

Manoah2u wrote:i remember RB trying to get the 'fins' banned for this year, because it would be a decent help/aid
for teams with less stable aerodynamics to 'stabilise' airflow towards the back. it got wiped off the table, so the
sharkfin is present, and here we have a absolute gigantuan sharkfin (which looks absolutely horrendous too), suggesting
airflow isn't that 'sophisticated'.
However, the RB6 of 2010 had a shark fin, and that was the car many claimed to have the highest downforce of any F1 car ever. In fact, the aero geniuses of Red Bull were the ones who invented the shark fin.
Holm86 wrote: Because there is a potential big surface to create downforce from, which is between the wheels so it would distribute the DF more even. And I believe there is potential to create DF with a relatively low drag penalty.
Just because there is a huge area where you can generate direct downforce doesn't mean you should.

Teams are directing air away from the top of the sidepod(or find other ways to kill lift over the sidepod), introducing a huge wing in that area would probably destroy any function of those winglets. Outside of that, it will also disrupt airflow around the sidepod, around the floor, and to the rear wing.

Between 2006-2008 a few teams utilize that area to add winglets, and they were only used in Monaco spec, or by teams that were clearly lacking downforce. Of the bigger teams, only Toyota genuinely ran with flip ups in that area, and we all know how great they were.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

turbof1

Giando wrote:Also, I am intrigued by these...

http://i64.tinypic.com/opd301.jpg

2) are they also structural parts / tricks to comply with side head protections sizes (a-la-Newey's Williams Fw17)?
Why is nobody discussing this?

1) It looks like that yes. It might be to clean up boundary layer flow or otherwise redirect flow towards the floor. I'm not sure.

2) Also quite possible true. I remember Manor using something similar last year.
#AeroFrodo

dren

Holm86 wrote:
Thats very possible, it was just an idea. Doesnt have to follow the total length of the sidepods, but maybe some sort of winglet to control airflow around the sidepods better.
I'm just asking, too. I think if you could energize the flow, you'd do so, but just a channeling through tunnels when you could do the same with smaller side pods, I'm not sure of the benefit.
Honda!

dren

turbof1 wrote:

1) It looks like that yes. It might be to clean up boundary layer flow or otherwise redirect flow towards the floor. I'm not sure.

2) Also quite possible true. I remember Manor using something similar last year.
Those are just for aesthetics. :wink:

Looks like they have a similar purpose to the ones on the top front of the side pods.
Honda!

wesley123
wesley123

turbof1 wrote:

It's function seems to be very similar to the similar winglets that teams put on the leading edge of the sidepod.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Giando

dren wrote:
turbof1 wrote:

Looks like they have a similar purpose to the ones on the top front of the side pods.
Yes, possibly... but i think we've never seen something similar in that particular area before...

bhall II
bhall II

As others have implied, I think the idea is to move air flow around the sidepods, where it's more useful, instead of over the sidepods, where it would likely contribute to lift. Sauber just seems to be giving it some help downstream.

michl420
michl420

My opinion to the airbox. With the higher g forces, turbomotors and the rigorous load tests is assumed that the weight of the roll-over bar is more important than the inside aerodynamics. It appears as a logical step.

dren

Giando wrote:
dren wrote:
turbof1 wrote: Why is nobody discussing this?

Yes, possibly... but i think we've never seen something similar in that particular area before...
The side pods look longer, so maybe they are required to keep the vortex?
Honda!

CBeck113
CBeck113

My guess on the winglets: they are, by directing airflow down the sidepods, actually conditioning the air entering the lower inlets, behind the driver's head, by insuring that it comes from over his head. I cannot explain how or why they would take this approach, but it could be trying to avoid debris from the tires or road entering these inlets.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

trinidefender
trinidefender

bhall II wrote:As others have implied, I think the idea is to move air flow around the sidepods, where it's more useful, instead of over the sidepods, where it would likely contribute to lift. Sauber just seems to be giving it some help downstream.

http://i.imgur.com/V71kiQt.jpg
To add to this, they are vortex generators, the vortex helps the flow to follow the sharp curves of the bodywork with less separation.

Sauber worked out that they need one up there to delay flow separation so placed one there, pretty simple. Nice detail all the same.