Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bucker
bucker

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

Sevach wrote:https://cdn-4.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... -sf70h.jpg

FW very low to the ground even at slow speeds.
Sidepod intakes look like Alfa Romeo Stelvio lights.

Note how cooling inlets for brakes are in different height when turn in.

f1316
f1316

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF-70H

tpe wrote:What I would like to see, is a comparison of the F2008 and this!
Finally something new from Ferrari.

I really liked the sidepods, of course, and the much more "clean" front suspension.
Was thinking the same so did a quick version (not to scale!)

Any attempt to get the tyres anywhere near the right size shows how much the length of the cars has grown though - if this is a short 2017 car, imagine the Mercedes vs. the 2008 cars!

bhall II
bhall II

dren wrote:It looks like Ferrari is continuing with the same sidepod shape they have used for a while. The other teams have gone to sort of a split profile like Red Bull did, where they look to direct flow on top around the side to the floor and under the cooling exit.
Guess where RB got the idea?

Yellow lines indicate nothing but contour

Ferrari still does it. It's just a bit more integrated....

At a certain point downstream, low pressure will pull the boundary layer in the direction you want it to go. All you have to do upstream--not that it's that easy--is coax flow in that direction.
Last edited by bhall II on 24 Feb 2017, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.

turbof1

f1316 wrote:

I really liked the sidepods, of course, and the much more "clean" front suspension.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e242/ ... tefsmb.png

Any attempt to get the tyres anywhere near the right size shows how much the length of the cars has grown though - if this is a short 2017 car, imagine the Mercedes vs. the 2008 cars!

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e242/ ... wuxbhn.png
That is a very nice comparison =D> .
#AeroFrodo

Mr.G

dren wrote:It looks like Ferrari is continuing with the same sidepod shape they have used for a while. The other teams have gone to sort of a split profile like Red Bull did, where they look to direct flow on top around the side to the floor and under the cooling exit.

The front brake cooling inlets are rather large. Everyone else has tire hugging inlets. Maybe Ferrari harnesses less brake regeneration and requires more of the front brakes?
Or more air for the blown front wheel hubs?
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

f1316
f1316

turbof1 wrote:
f1316 wrote:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e242/ ... tefsmb.png

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e242/ ... wuxbhn.png
That is a very nice comparison =D> .
Thanks!

Another thing that stands out from the overhead --- is how few tyre squirt slots the Ferrari has vs. other cars we've so far seen; correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Ferrari was the first one to put a massive amount of cuts on the floor (i.e. in double figures) so interesting to see that they may have gone away from that, with fewer, bigger ones.

Or, of course, that's just a placeholder :)

turbof1

Placeholder/test floor. Usually teams start out simple to get track mileage and data and flesh out the car later on. Nobody has until now been keen to show anything out of the ordinary in the floor/diffuser area, and Ferrari is traditionally very keen to keep secrets. You'll see updates seen enough.
#AeroFrodo

Ozan
Ozan

I'm really confused by those sidepod intakes. they are really small and this car also doesn't have extended top intake like Mercedes w08 has. but as a Mercedes fan I hope this car will be competitive.

dren

bhall II wrote:
Guess where RB got the idea?

http://i.imgur.com/HumJIaI.jpg
Yellow lines indicate nothing but contour

Ferrari still does it. It's just a bit more integrated....

http://i.imgur.com/3L34zz0.jpg

At a certain point downstream, low pressure will pull the boundary layer in the direction you want it to go. All you have to do upstream--not that it's that easy--is coax flow in that direction.
I guess the red isn't as 'flattering' to the detail; and yes, it does look a bit more integrated, unlike the Mercedes approach this year.
Honda!

zioture
zioture

Unc1eM0nty

Way down the list of design considerations I know but these cars will be very difficult for the drivers to get in and out of, there's nowhere to step.

And all these intricate winglets and bargeboard furniture will litter the track when cars have a coming together, they'll rip the front tyres to sheds, can't wait :wink:

Quantum

bucker wrote:Sidepod intakes look like Alfa Romeo Stelvio lights..
I pondered a while, and then it struck me where I had seen these sidepods before...

"Interplay of triads"

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Looks like a real brute. I like the aggressive stance of the car, seems to be up on it's toes if that makes any sense! I worry about the difference in size of the air box compared to the Merc powered cars. In the case of williams, FI and Merc they all seem to have oversized airboxes which one can't help wondering if it has something to do with the Merc engine working harder, producing more heat/needing more airflow...

nokivasara
nokivasara

The SF70H looks amazing, hopefully it all works out and brings Ferrari closer to the top. Very interesting air inlets and side pods!
It surprises me that they show this much detail, as do mercedes, but there's probably all new parts coming on for the first test anyway.

RZS10

Do the intakes still have a conventional shape behind those 'rings'?

The little winglet on the fin seems to be almost aero neutral.

also: stop discussing the McHonda's hypothetical/potential pace judging by how the cars look in the Ferrari thread :roll:
Last edited by RZS10 on 24 Feb 2017, 16:38, edited 1 time in total.