Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bill shoe
bill shoe

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF-70H

THRAK wrote:Hi everyone, I am a newcomer on this forum, as I needed to put my two cents about this red beast :)
To me the most striking feature of the sidepod intake configuration is the accomodation of the upper side impact structure. As far as my understanding of rules goes I can only figure it being integrated in the bottom of the intake, something like this :

Now, could this be compatible with the technical rules ? If I remember correctly side crash structures are standard, and position of upper and lower parts too. The only 2017 change I am aware of is that bumps on the bodywork to accomodate the upper structure are no longer allowed.
If this is right, then the SF70 would be the first car to get free of this "upper lateral crash structure needs to be part of the upper side of air intake" scheme, in order to have the maximum amount of air to "play" with.
Good point!, The whole innovative sidepod intake could simply be a better workaround of the mandatory side-impact structure. Ferrari flows intake air over the upper impact structure, but everyone else goes under.

George-Jung
George-Jung

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

It looks like they finally used these sort of side crash-structure.. from this drawing.
If i am correct- back than they said it was a direct influence from Rory Byrne.. does someone know what Byrne did on this current SF70H car? Could these sidepods come from him?

CriXus
CriXus

HD quality footage from today's shakedown.
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

THRAK
THRAK

George-Jung wrote:It looks like they finally used these sort of side crash-structure.. from this drawing.
If i am correct- back than they said it was a direct influence from Rory Byrne.. does someone know what Byrne did on this current SF70H car? Could these sidepods come from him?

http://www.omnicorse.it/img/articoli/ev ... onarie.jpg
My thought exactly ! Perhaps the increased width of the 2017 cars has given the opportunity to have a try at this -slightly modified- concept (I don't think the actual shape would have been possible under the previous rules, being the intakes far too narrow for cooling requirements)

f300v10
f300v10

CriXus wrote:HD quality footage from today's shakedown.
Thanks for this. Kimi pushing the car pretty hard for a 'filming day'. Still hard to see, but the diffuser appears to have the same general shape as last year, just larger per the new regulations.

f1316
f1316

f300v10 wrote:
Thanks for this. Kimi pushing the car pretty hard for a 'filming day'. Still hard to see, but the diffuser appears to have the same general shape as last year, just larger per the new regulations.
They don't use proper tyres for these days, correct?

tpe
tpe

Could the large brake ducts have anything to do with the blown axle and the bargeboards?
Because otherwise, it doesn't make sense to have so large brake ducts!

F1NAC

f1316 wrote:
f300v10 wrote:
They don't use proper tyres for these days, correct?
pirelli gives them special tires for demo runs

dmjunqueira

CriXus wrote:HD quality footage from today's shakedown.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxCfyXAhiBo
Looks and sounds good on track! =D>
Thanks for sharing the video.

sterumbelow
sterumbelow

Was also messing about with images of the sidepod inlets and here's how I think it works - same as posted above really...

Last edited by sterumbelow on 24 Feb 2017, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.
@realsterumbelow

RandiAndika
RandiAndika

CriXus wrote:HD quality footage from today's shakedown.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxCfyXAhiBo
Sounds like they running blown off exhaust gas? is it legal now? :roll:

AnthonyG

I'm surprised to see them use that boxy-nose design, it "looks" to be even bulkier than last years design.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

i'm not surprised, after having seen the lower part of the nose with that side air inlet in the nose. the actual point of the nose hammers through the air and then the horizontal shape of the upper part of the nose flows air through underneath towards that inlet. it being 'bulkier' only suggests they're going to increase the force with which they intend to direct air.

i think everything looks rather cleverly and very purposefully positioned, which for a change, is something really positive looking.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

ForMuLaOne
ForMuLaOne

Although the idea behind it becomes clear, these drawings are incorrect though.

First image: Both the green and the orange line need to be shortened by one third.

Second image: The green line needs to be shortened by one quarter to one third or by half the widh of the top air inlet. The orange needs to be shorten by 50% and continues at the edge in front of the santander logo.

Third image: The inlet is the inlet... Your drawing implies a bigger opening for "the actual inlet". There is an increase in volume behind the leading edge indeed. But so it has been ever since with most the cars.

I will change my smartypants now but:This simplification takes away a little of what ferrari has done here. They minimized the vertical volume for a smooth undercut. In order to deal with pressure and flow rates they had to place the air inlet on top.

PlatinumZealot

Nice! The turbo sound has a little "after wistle" so something has definitely changed with the layout i would hazard.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏