Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
f300v10
f300v10

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

SF70H floor detail. Clear view of several winglets that run along the edge of the rear tire. Via @Albrodpul and AMUS
Last edited by f300v10 on 24 May 2017, 14:54, edited 1 time in total.

Morteza

Via AMuS
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

F1NAC

f300v10 wrote:
24 May 2017, 14:42
Pretty sure this is the SF70H floor. Clear view of several winglets that run along the edge of the rear tire:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DAl4SvmXoAAFiTr.jpg
is the purpose of those winglets to enhance airflow near the side surface of diffuser and to create vortex at the edge to separate disturbance from wheel?

f300v10
f300v10

F1NAC wrote:
24 May 2017, 14:52
is the purpose of those winglets to enhance airflow near the side surface of diffuser and to create vortex at the edge to separate disturbance from wheel?
That is my thinking as well, all to do with tire wake management.

zioture
zioture

shady
shady

Q?

Can anyone see any ports on the floor, that would indicate a liquid is being circulated in the bubbles that were being tested for heat during the preseason. I see that there may be metal as a heat exchange, but not much else. Possibly a keener eye could point something out.

tmoneyr007
tmoneyr007

shady wrote:
24 May 2017, 17:36
Q?

Can anyone see any ports on the floor, that would indicate a liquid is being circulated in the bubbles that were being tested for heat during the preseason. I see that there may be metal as a heat exchange, but not much else. Possibly a keener eye could point something out.
No but I can see a slit in the floor. Lets imagine for a second that you were just allowing hot air from the engine bay to "seep" into that "bubble" would that not allow you to heat up the floor enough to allow flex/expansion once the car is up to temp? Increasing the volume of the diffuser?

zioture
zioture

godlameroso

They're really going for that bird feather look with all those tiny aero devices near the diffuser.
Saishū kōnā

DiogoBrand

I was ready to say that those winglets look quite awful, since I was always an adept of simpler designs, but then I realized that the two fastest cars on the grid have quite complex aero, while the "simpler" one is lagging behind.
Now I'm not sure if I love it or hate it.

shady
shady

The highlighted area, this 'depression' (behind the gearbox cutout in the floor) between the two halves of the diffuser, why is it not used the same as the two 'lobes' on either side of it. i dont think its in the ruleset that there must be a 'neutral midsection'.

Some might say the gearbox/crash, but remember the sizeable undercut Ferrari have there, if you watch: https://streamable.com/xqony about 16 seconds in when the car is rotating you can see this 'depression' clearly and the gearbox and crash structure are cm's above the floor here, why is this space not used the same way the outer sides are for expansion from the floor?

Sevach
Sevach

DiogoBrand wrote:
25 May 2017, 09:36
I was ready to say that those winglets look quite awful, since I was always an adept of simpler designs, but then I realized that the two fastest cars on the grid have quite complex aero, while the "simpler" one is lagging behind.
Now I'm not sure if I love it or hate it.
I'd say these days wind tunnels and CFD are capable of doing precise analysis on those "complex" structures, extra bits no longer spells desperation like it used to, our thinking must adapt.

wuzak
wuzak

shady wrote:
25 May 2017, 14:47
http://i.imgur.com/TeDxWrW.jpg

The highlighted area, this 'depression' (behind the gearbox cutout in the floor) between the two halves of the diffuser, why is it not used the same as the two 'lobes' on either side of it. i dont think its in the ruleset that there must be a 'neutral midsection'.

Some might say the gearbox/crash, but remember the sizeable undercut Ferrari have there, if you watch: https://streamable.com/xqony about 16 seconds in when the car is rotating you can see this 'depression' clearly and the gearbox and crash structure are cm's above the floor here, why is this space not used the same way the outer sides are for expansion from the floor?
It's the stepped floor regulations.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

Please help.

Is there a general consensus as to what the air inlets on the top surface of the side pods are for? What do they feed/ what is their purpose and what advantage do they provide?

Please answer in simple non aero-geek language.

Please and thank you