Renault Sport F1 R.S.17

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Blackout

Re: Renault Sport F1 R.S.17

proteus wrote:The rear end of the car looks very similar to the Mclaren MP4-29.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C5Mw3djVcAAQdEW.jpg

http://cdn.johnywheels.com/2015/12/31/m ... 8c65ac.jpg
Or E22...
A very interesting beast....

Shrieker

That.
Fugly.
Nose.

Again #-o
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

sirexilon
sirexilon

Not really the McLaren ended high up almost same high to the Exhaust, and Renault go below it.
it is just the angle
Life long F1 fan. Always learning about all the tech around my favorite sport.

http://www.facebook.com/f1myway

Thunder

Shrieker wrote:That.
Fugly.
Nose.

Again #-o
No ugly Nose Discussions in the Car Thread please.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

f1316
f1316

Wow if only someone had noticed that (page 5) ;)

Great minds, I guess (or fools seldom differ?)
Last edited by f1316 on 21 Feb 2017, 19:22, edited 2 times in total.

roon
roon

Giando wrote:Enhancing the back lines... some 'covers' ad the edges of the (temporary of course!) diffuser maybe?

http://i67.tinypic.com/30msobc.jpg
Yes, they are hiding the details on the edge of the diffuser.

Looks like they are still using a metal gearbox casing.

dren

I'm impressed so far. It looks like a major upgrade in attention to detail compared to the lightly funded 16. The barge board and front diffuser area are interesting. I'm curious to see how the other top teams compare.
Honda!

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Thoroughly impressed with this Renault RS17 competitor.

Very cool and intelligent designs, to the eye, the design looks remarkably balanced and complete.
Many interesting details.

I also really dig the livery though i must say i am disappointed that it is less yellow. Perhaps like last year this
is the launch livery and the race version has more yellow.

I'm afraid all cars are going to have that 'thumb' nose, but well.
the front wing pillars looks incredibly nifty....

i think Renault might actually surprise this season, IF their engine is up for it.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Thunders wrote: Is it me or does that Shark Fin raise a bitfrom Front to Back? Guess it is because the Air Intake is quite low?
The top edge of the shark fin is measured from the reference plane. The reference plane is angled (a.k.a. rake) so the fin is angled.

I hate the fin. :evil:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

nokivasara
nokivasara

Manoah2u wrote:Thoroughly impressed with this Renault RS17 competitor.

Very cool and intelligent designs, to the eye, the design looks remarkably balanced and complete.

I also really dig the livery though i must say i am disappointed that it is less yellow. Perhaps like last year this

i think Renault might actually surprise this season, IF their engine is up for it.
The bold part.
Would anyone really be surprised? It was clear from the moment they re-entered F1 as a manufacturer team that they aimed for 2017.

About the car, it sure looks nice but I suspect that the R.S 17 will change a bit, like the other cars, before the test. Can't wait to see the cars on track!

continuum16

I don't know if it's been commented on, but I'm pretty sure they have a Red Bull-style slot down the leading edge of the rear wing. Also, they seem to have sculpted the sidepods (from the side view) very similarly to the end-of-the-year updated version of the 16. Overall pretty well done, big air box has allowed for a big undercut on the sidepods. Wonder what they have hidden under those plates by the diffuser.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

Holm86

Just_a_fan wrote:
I hate the fin. :evil:
Bottas or Kimi? :o

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

nokivasara wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:Thoroughly impressed with this Renault RS17 competitor.

The bold part.
Would anyone really be surprised? It was clear from the moment they re-entered F1 as a manufacturer team that they aimed for 2017.

About the car, it sure looks nice but I suspect that the R.S 17 will change a bit, like the other cars, before the test. Can't wait to see the cars on track!
To be honest, for me the surprise lays in 2 areas for not expecting much from them. well more, actually.
1st is their general shape in 2016 and the 'internal conflict' seemingly going on there.
2nd is their driver choise. Hulkenberg is a potential and capable driver who is sure to deliver above-decent performance, and to be very harsh, fitting for a perfect nr2 driver.
I expected bottas as their 'nr1' driver to be honest. Don't ask me why, but it always seemed perfectly fit.

I don't see any mentionable potential regarding Joylon Palmer. I would classify him under the 'scott speed, vitantonio liuzzi, marcus ericsson,' etc list.

So it would - to me- suggest they're not placing 'their bets' on this season, as i think you need all the help you can get to go for the big prize, so you'd have to pair a WDC potent driver alognside hulkenberg to go for your goal.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Scuderia1967

motobaleno wrote:
Scuderia1967 wrote:
From that angle, it's true. But the sidepods on the RS17 aren't as bulky as the McLaren's
are you sure? consider that the RS17 floor is wider...
Look at the car's sideview

cmF1

Guys can we please stay on topic about the car, and not comparing it to McLarens and other cars from previous regulations.
プラスとマイナス