Williams FW31

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
vyselegend

Re: Williams FW31

By far the most elegant design up to now, along the Ferrari. Homegenous livery helps in both cases though.

True the sidepods are maybe the squariest 2009 ones we have seen. It looks like what BMW did with their interim car.

It is rather logic to suggest that the new air intake is for KERS cooling purpose. But is it the dark paint decieving me or is the airbox hole smaller than before. Would it make sense that the 18 000 RPM version of the Toyota engine (+ potentially new lubricants) need less air (richer mixture)? I know it would mean greater fuel consumption, but it could be negated by KERS energy input over a lap?...

Strange the car is missing AT&T and Allianz. Contracts may be in tight negociations by now.

djos

Yep, all the air intakes are slightly smaller which makes sense as they are tuned for the engines max RPM.

Those little vents behind the air intake are prolly cooling for their KERS Flywheel system.
"In downforce we trust"

mike
mike

well just to spare a thought is AERO-KERS even legal??
they could run scoops that redirect the air out of the car when it is not in use
and use the air to spin a turbine and also help the braking?

djos

mike wrote:well just to spare a thought is AERO-KERS even legal??
they could run scoops that redirect the air out of the car when it is not in use
and use the air to spin a turbine and also help the braking?
The bloke who posted that is being a smart a$$. :lol:
"In downforce we trust"

roost89
roost89

I'm quite liking the design! Especially the chimney-esque bulges above the radiaters. Could they be for cooling? (some pipes may be abnormally close to the top edge) or is it air-flow and probably "for" a crash-structure?

I also agree that there're not enough sponsors ont eh car. I thought AT&T had a longer contract with Williams :?: They're still on the clothing at least
I remember them losing a contract, could it have been Allianz? and Where's Hamleys?

The winter colour scheme doesn't help with finding much out about the car. I look forward to the actual racing livery whenever it may appear
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

AT&T is on the front wing? :?

roost89
roost89

Diesel wrote:AT&T is on the front wing? :?
so it is :oops:
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

ben_watkins
ben_watkins

Looks lovely in dark blue..

The whole design is fairly easy on the eye too, unlike the seriously ugly Renault!
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Very, very clean looking.

Sidepod openings look a hell of a lot larger then the McLaren.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

modbaraban
modbaraban

Allianz have extended their sponsorship contract for 2009, AFAIK. Not sure why their stickers are missing on the bodywork.

joseff

Is it just me, or is the sidepod hump very... IRL?

Conceptual
Conceptual

I like the Williams, but it seriously looks as if they are desperately in need of some fresh blood in their design department.

It seems that the trend of making old new again has struck again. The rear end looks like some of the early Nineties...

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Conceptual wrote:I like the Williams, but it seriously looks as if they are desperately in need of some fresh blood in their design department.

It seems that the trend of making old new again has struck again. The rear end looks like some of the early Nineties...
What's wrong with that?
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

gcdugas

joseff wrote:Is it just me, or is the sidepod hump very... IRL?

Not just you.... and without the grooves the tires will have painted sidewalls too.
Innovation over refinement is the prefered path to performance. -- Get rid of the dopey regs in F1

pgj
pgj

I like the car. It is the most innovative aero package that we have seen yet. A lot of work has gone into the nose of the car. I just hope that it is fast.

The vents on the air-box are to take air to provide cooling to some other part of the car, hydraulics/KERS. Sam said last year that Williams had spilt the air intake, but may revert to using the air-box to solely breathe the engine.
Williams and proud of it.