Red Bull RB5

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
vyselegend

Red Bull RB5

I've found a cool video from Red Bull, which (while it certainly doesn't show the true RB5) gives a good view of how the car should look, as well as an interesting animation of the KERS system (still with no secrets obviously, but far more realistic looking than the Williams vid from some time ago IMO)

Low quality (click the vid down the page)
High quality

Entertaining... :wink:

Now bring on the true RB5!

ESPImperium

Re: Red Bull RB5

Nice Find!!!

Looks like the RB5/STR4 will look pretty nice going on that, but i think they will look alot diffrent.

Monday will be D-Day for the new Newey design(s).

Heres the checklist for things it couold include:

* Controvercial diffuser
* Shark Fin
* Louvers (Shark Gills) et al BMW Sauber F1.09
* Wing Mirror/Bardge Board Solution Et Al Ferarri F60
* KERS Sticker

Thats my checklist anyways.

tk421

vyselegend wrote:I've found a cool video from Red Bull
Entertaining... :wink:
I see Vettel still hasn't learned how to avoid hitting Webber :lol: Horner would be pretty upset if they behaved like that on track :lol:

Cool video though, thanks for the link! =D>
Best regards. I guess this explains why I'm not at my post!

Callum

If that's the new car... it looks really nice!

DaveKillens

One of the coolest videos I have seen in a long time, thanks.
Now we just have to see how this video stacks up against the real car when it's shown to the public.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

D'Leh

Nice stuff.

The rear wing caught me somehow. Looks like the endplates are extended down to the wake of the diffuser. I know it's only an animation. But I wonder if it is indicating some rather unusual design there. Also the nose cone looks quite nice.

Looking forward to the actual launch in monday. I'd really like to get a look at the diffuser, the keel area and all the tiny details.

modbaraban

Ah... I was goin to post the link was beaten to it.

Brilliant vid. The 'new cars' remind me of the late 90-s Saubers with that thin high nose.

tk421

modbaraban wrote:Ah... I was goin to post the link was beaten to it. Brilliant vid. The 'new cars' remind me of the late 90-s Saubers with that thin high nose.
Ahh, and you've just beaten me to that!! :lol: I was about to say "Amazing how Red Bull have taken the Sauber C14 and simply added the 2009 wings"
Best regards. I guess this explains why I'm not at my post!

myurr

Anyone else notice the ridges along the top corners of the nose cone - very unusual feature that I haven't seen on any other car. Will be interesting to see if that is indeed an aerodynamic feature present on the new car or if the 3d artists were just having some fun.

myurr

They've also gone for the McLaren style suspension with the steering arm being located between the wishbones instead of being incorporated.

I'm tempted to believe that the model is in fact based on, at the very least, an early iteration of the real design. The model shows a lot of features present in other cars and shows a fairly McLaren like philosophy with the Ferrari style wing mirror / sidepod shield (although not as well integrated).

Certainly interesting, can't wait till Monday to see what the final car looks like.

majicmeow

What about the side pod vanes that look to be one piece with a small bargeboard? neato!

Great vid, thanks!

-Aaron

WhiteBlue

Great vid, I really liked it!!!!
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

yzfr7

myurr wrote:Anyone else notice the ridges along the top corners of the nose cone - very unusual feature that I haven't seen on any other car. Will be interesting to see if that is indeed an aerodynamic feature present on the new car or if the 3d artists were just having some fun.
They had this sort of things before, check the mp4/14 and mp4/15. But I thought it was banned, so I'm not sure if it is legal now.

Will wait to the see the real car, but if it is like the animation, I will be amazed by how Newey goes back and forth with narrow and wide noses. He had it wide with the mp4/17, then narrow for the mp4/19, wide again for the mp4/20, took the wide approach to RBR4, and now back to narrow. And the worst is that I am sure he has a reason... :-k
pax

majicmeow

I also just noticed the very "mclaren" style airbox and roll hoop...

I hope Newey hits the mark again this year :)

i70q7m7ghw

D'Leh wrote:Nice stuff.

The rear wing caught me somehow. Looks like the endplates are extended down to the wake of the diffuser. I know it's only an animation. But I wonder if it is indicating some rather unusual design there. Also the nose cone looks quite nice.

Looking forward to the actual launch in monday. I'd really like to get a look at the diffuser, the keel area and all the tiny details.
The 3D model doesn't appear to have a diffuser...