Mercedes GP MGP W01

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
allan
allan

Re: Mercedes GP MGP W01

BorisTheBlade wrote: No offense - but you wrote that twice by now and it's simply not true. The diffuser is totally different to the solution they had last year. If you compare it to one of the gazillion diffuser pics of last year's BGP01 you will clearly see the differences of the whole concept. Furthermore I doubt that a 09 diffuser would be compatible to the MGP 01. Because if it was the case it would mean that they didn't improve their floor concept.
sorry, but here it is:
(Bar555,2009)

VS.

A picture-- well in this case 3 pictures-- says a thousand words

luca
luca

Yup. It definitely looks quite similar to me. And if I'm not wrong, even scarbs thought so on his twitter account. :)

PlatinumZealot

Yeah, they probably will just switch out the floor at a later date it seems.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

allan
allan

luca wrote:Yup. It definitely looks quite similar to me. And if I'm not wrong, even scarbs thought so on his twitter account. :)
yeah just read it too

luca
luca

n smikle wrote:Yeah, they probably will just switch out the floor at a later date it seems.
Yeah, also because, as it has already been pointed out, a 2009 diffuser wouldn't fit well in a 2010 floor, would it?
Also, it must be some sort of interim floor, since the 2009 floor wouldn't fit in the new bigger sized chassis either, would it?

TRICKLE69
TRICKLE69

luca wrote:
n smikle wrote:Yeah, they probably will just switch out the floor at a later date it seems.
Yeah, also because, as it has already been pointed out, a 2009 diffuser wouldn't fit well in a 2010 floor, would it?
Also, it must be some sort of interim floor, since the 2009 floor wouldn't fit in the new bigger sized chassis either, would it?
If I am not mistaken the length of the car is exactly the same as the 09 Brawn.
IT IS WHAT IT IS

TRICKLE69
TRICKLE69

I seem to be mistaken with my last post. Here are the two length, width, height comparisons from this year and last year. Sorry for the mis info I cannot find where I read it. The car still seems to be much shorter then the rest.

2009 Dimensions

Overall length: 4700mm
Overall height: 950mm
Overall width: 1800mm

2010 Dimensions

Overall length: 4800mm
Overall height: 950mm
Overall width: 1800mm
IT IS WHAT IT IS

PlatinumZealot

luca wrote: Yeah, also because, as it has already been pointed out, a 2009 diffuser wouldn't fit well in a 2010 floor, would it?
Simple, just modify it or make it to fit, whether in the software or real life.

I would not be surprised if they literally just merged the mold of the 2009 diffuser into the 2010 floor.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

FGD
FGD

Q. What areas have you looked to improve over last year's car?

RB: Well there were a few challenges. One is obviously the fuel capacity. We believe the Bridgestone tyres need a different weight distribution than they had last year, they have a different characteristic so we had to design the car around that. I think the predominant thing is for all the teams to find more aerodynamic performance. This is not the definitive car, the definitive car comes out for Bahrain. It's an interim car for us as I am sure it is for all the major teams. Mainly aerodynamic performance.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81208

Looks like this is an interim car guys.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

mx_tifosi wrote:I thought exhausts weren't allowed to protrude from the bodywork??

Or were those regulations changed since last year?
Anyone? S'il vous plait.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

ISLAMATRON

Way back there it is ok... 75mm radius rule not in effect back there... see how the suspension arms are close by, they have pushed the exhaust way back

xpensive
xpensive

Besides, Michael Schumacher is driving the car in question, why it's ok with the FIA per definition.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

WhiteBlue

xpensive wrote:Besides, Michael Schumacher is driving the car in question, why it's ok with the FIA per definition.

this trolling deserves the seal of "approval"
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Richard
Richard

ISLAMATRON wrote:Way back there it is ok... 75mm radius rule not in effect back there... see how the suspension arms are close by, they have pushed the exhaust way back
The exhaust are actually quite high compared to other teams. STR have theirs hidden lower than the beamwing. The Merc exahusts are pointing up into the air!

See the pics posted by Manchild ... viewtopic.php?p=143628#p143628

Looking at the position relative to the rear axle, I don't think they have pushed the exhaust back, instead they have pulled the suspension forwards. Ie distance from exhausts to wheel looks normal

Raptor22
Raptor22

they have altered the rear suspension geometry which is too accomodate a larger diffusor later on in the test program.

The W01 has modified bits of last years car on it so that they can gauge the performance of the floor and front splitter relative to last years car.
They're just performing on track verification of CFD data - they are heading in the CFD direction more now with cost and resourse restrictions coming.

the exhausts also will change once the new Diffusor is fitted. theyhave them in the current configuration to minimise the influence on the under car flow. Hence the FIA are not concerned with the exhaust for now but the car won't be raced with those pipes. Merc are sandbagging all their major areo kit till later tests.

remember this test session most teams will only be going through reliability checks, vehicle operations procedures, mechanics drills (since this is the first time most of the race team has seen the new car and such testing. they are not focusing on performance testing for now, merely establishing whether certan major components are working better than the last when mated to known performance components.

Don;t read anything into this test session.

Well, do read into that Schumacher is an absolutely brilliant driver.
First day back and already he is dishing out a can of whooopass.

Rosberg tried very very hard yesterday to establish a time equivalent to Schumacher's. Unless Nico can find his rhythm he is going to be better off taking BArrichello's advise and get the heck out of there!