2011 F1 car concepts

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
vall
vall

2011 F1 car concepts

So, 2010 is over and I started thinking of 2011. With 3 teams in the title hunt until the very end, should we expect surprises from teams that stopped the development early, e.g. Merc? Or RBR will dominate again? It was the fastest non-DDD car in 2009.... Who will opt for clean sheet designs?
Last edited by Steven on 04 Jan 2011, 21:20, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Renamed topic

netoperek
netoperek

Re: 2011 cars

For sure Renault will start with brand new design. They suffered weaknesses of R29 this season and i doubt they would do the same next season :) Especially that they now have their CFD and windtunnel working and tested. To be honest, i expect them to be very competitive next season. RB will be there as well for sure. It seems mere Adrian's presence gives them 2sec + 50 percent to development rate or something. 2011 Merc will be totally oversteery due to MS preferences, so it will surely suck and they'll lose precious points, as Rosberg prefers understeery car and Shummy is apparently geting slower and more clumsy with each race. Ferrari is totally unpredictable and McLaren will be second to whoever is fastest, as usual ;)
Thats just my loose, drunk thoughts anyways :twisted:

Giblet
Giblet

Where did you hear Rosberg likes an understeery car? I have read that he likes oversteer as much as Schumi.

All of the quickest drivers prefer oversteer.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

scuderiafan

I feel that 2011 will be similar to 2010 with Red Bull, Ferrari, and Macca at the front, with more involvement from Mercedes. I really can't wait to see what the teams do over the winter with the EBD's.
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

Mandrake
Mandrake

scuderiafan wrote:I feel that 2011 will be similar to 2010 with Red Bull, Ferrari, and Macca at the front, with more involvement from Mercedes. I really can't wait to see what the teams do over the winter with the EBD's.
I just hope that due to the early development of the 2011 car, Mercedes will be a lot closer to the top than the other teams which might have started 2011's car development much later.....I also hope that RedBull will be back at the top, Schumi vs Vettel would be a great duell to have. Maybe RedBull still have the advantage of the best single deck diffuser car in 2009, now combined with the new exhausts....

netoperek
netoperek

Giblet wrote:Where did you hear Rosberg likes an understeery car? I have read that he likes oversteer as much as Schumi.

Well, i can't find any reliable source to confirm that right now, i just remember reading it somewhere...But nevertheless, Merc from the begining had tendency to understeer and it obviously came to Rosberg liking. If You disagree, i'll edit my previous post :)

adrianjordan

What does everyone think will be the best option for the nose of the cars next season?

Will we see any teams go for a similar approach to the BGP001 with a lower nose or will the raised noses we've seen this year still be the better route to take?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Carlo's
Carlo's

Giblet wrote:Where did you hear Rosberg likes an understeery car? I have read that he likes oversteer as much as Schumi.

Kubica suffers from oversteer a lot, he has to have understeery car and he is one of the fastest guys here.

Overall weight of the cars will increase to 640 kg, won't it? This season we had 620 kg?

godlameroso

Next years cars will be much more streamlined than this year. There will be a huge reduction in downforce, therefore the teams will want to run the rear bodywork as low as possible to feed the beam wing as much air as possible. This will force the sidepods forward for packaging reasons. Expect to see more gurney flaps just about everywhere in the rear.
Saishū kōnā

Giblet
Giblet

netoperek wrote:

Well, i can't find any reliable source to confirm that right now, i just remember reading it somewhere...But nevertheless, Merc from the begining had tendency to understeer and it obviously came to Rosberg liking. If You disagree, i'll edit my previous post :)
My understanding was just that when they adjusted the Merc to help with Schumachers preferences, Rosberg took just as well to the changes.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

gibells
gibells

I can see the side-pods being quite chunky, what with the 180L tanks and the kers unit & batteries. I'd like to see top designers differing approach to solving the issues.

The adjustable RWs will + KERS + adjustable FW is going to make driving the things pretty busy throughout a lap. It's going to be really exciting if it all happens, but I can see them dumping the ARW.

gridwalker
gridwalker

Last night, as I was drifting off to sleep, a thought popped into my head :
The rear wing becomes adjustable when you are within a certain distance of the person ahead, so what happens when you pass them?

Does the wing suddenly stop adjusting, leaving you with a misadjusted rear wing?

Does the wing automatically return to a default setting?

Do you get one more adjustment after you have passed, so you can set the wing to your personal optimum setting?

Does anybody have any concrete answers?
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

vall
vall

gibells wrote:I can see the side-pods being quite chunky, what with the 180L tanks and the kers unit & batteries. I'd like to see top designers differing approach to solving the issues.

The adjustable RWs will + KERS + adjustable FW is going to make driving the things pretty busy throughout a lap. It's going to be really exciting if it all happens, but I can see them dumping the ARW.
I think the adjustable FW will be no more. It is replaced by ARW.

raymondu999

gridwalker wrote:Last night, as I was drifting off to sleep, a thought popped into my head :
The rear wing becomes adjustable when you are within a certain distance of the person ahead, so what happens when you pass them?

Does the wing suddenly stop adjusting, leaving you with a misadjusted rear wing?

Does the wing automatically return to a default setting?

Do you get one more adjustment after you have passed, so you can set the wing to your personal optimum setting?

Does anybody have any concrete answers?
Sorry to be pedantic.. do you mean alongside?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

gridwalker
gridwalker

I thought what I meant was reasonably clear ...

Basically, I want to know what happens to your rear wing after you have made your pass.

If the wing only works when you are within X seconds of the car in front, I would like to know what happens after the overtaking maneuvre has been completed : Leaving the rear wing on the incorrect DF setting could have serious safety implications, so I would have thought that the wing wouldn't just freeze in place.

Does your wing :
A) Freeze in its current setting?
B) Return to a default setting?
C) Give you a limited time to select the setting that is most suitable for running in clean air?
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."