McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

In which case, definitely "no".
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Giblet
Giblet

forty-two wrote:
Giblet wrote:Are those wires fibre optic cables?

They do look like them, but usually they are shielded.
Sorry Giblet, what wires? Do you have a pic?
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Holm86

Giblet wrote:
forty-two wrote:
Giblet wrote:Are those wires fibre optic cables?

They do look like them, but usually they are shielded.
Sorry Giblet, what wires? Do you have a pic?

As said earlier they are just rubber/plastic tubing going back to the measurement unit.
It measures the pressure in the pitot tubes.

feynman
feynman

segedunum wrote:Why on Earth anyone should think that two separate paths of air are linked in some way (telepathy perhaps?) I don't know.
I haven't asked them all, but I think there is occasionally a connection to the notion that nature 'abhors a vaccuum', so it would hate to find a chunk of air missing as one bit went "the long way", so it pulls the air faster over the top, the result being that both bits of air happily meet-up again at the tail of the foil.

I guess it would keep most folk happy, if they weren't inclined to wonder how a plane can fly upside-down with this explanation, then equal-time should be good enough.
I dunno, as long as they get taught the proper stuff before being asked to design jumbo jets, it's probably not a huge problem.

We teach children the integer number line, don't jump straight to complex numbers, and I think we still start them off with electrons like little planets in orbit, before we get all probability distribution on their ass ... so a rough, vague, incomplete, incorrect, comprehension is probably not doing much real harm. But eventually, right would be better.

ing
ing

Holm86 wrote:
As said earlier they are just rubber/plastic tubing going back to the measurement unit.
It measures the pressure in the pitot tubes.
Typically, for Scanivalve pressure measuring system. Used a lot in aero engine and aircraft testing.

http://www.scanivalve.com/doc/product_pneumatic.htm

So if they have a forward facing exhaust, this location can assess the effect of the outboard underfloor flow augmented by the exhaust.

clarkiesyeah

Are these twisted at some angle because from this view it looks like one is the opposite way round to the other?
"I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong."
Murray Walker

"My biggest error? Something that is to happen yet."
Ayrton Senna

luca
luca

Yeah, it looks that way. Nice catch! :)

myurr
myurr

clarkiesyeah wrote:Are these twisted at some angle because from this view it looks like one is the opposite way round to the other?
Yes they twist outwards towards the wake from the rear tyres, following a similar line to the outer edge of the diffuser.

clarkiesyeah

The link seems to be interacting with the elusive exhaust, aren't they temp stickers on the cabon fibre link?

EDIT: Could this be used to split the flow of hot exaust gasses over the diffuser? Or is the beam wing interacting aswell? There seems to be a temp sticker just behind it on the RW endplate.
"I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong."
Murray Walker

Ayrton Senna

myurr
myurr

Possibly, although those turning vains have been present on all the photos of the car, so they aren't designed to work exclusively with one exhaust layout. Perhaps one of the four configurations (probably the bog standard one similar to the launch car) just happens to route gases close enough to that carbon fibre to warrant putting the stickers there to double check the temps.

clarkiesyeah

If you look just to the left under the rear crash structure, close to the gearbox, there would appear to be an exhaust exit, i can't tell what else it could be. It is pointing in the general direction of the turning vain, although it is hard to tell its true direction from this angle.
Murray Walker

Ayrton Senna

Paul

These stickers seem to be showing close to max temperature, so unless they are calibrated to show very small change in temperature, I would say exhaust gases pass right next to them.

Shaddock

clarkiesyeah wrote:If you look just to the left under the rear crash structure, close to the gearbox, there would appear to be an exhaust exit, i can't tell what else it could be. It is pointing in the general direction of the turning vain, although it is hard to tell its true direction from this angle.
Then where's the corresponding right hand exhaust. Are they running asymmetrical exhausts?

myurr
myurr

Shaddock wrote:
clarkiesyeah wrote:If you look just to the left under the rear crash structure, close to the gearbox, there would appear to be an exhaust exit, i can't tell what else it could be. It is pointing in the general direction of the turning vain, although it is hard to tell its true direction from this angle.
Then where's the corresponding right hand exhaust. Are they running asymmetrical exhausts?
That is the exhaust - the other side is obfuscated by the rear wheel and brake duct / flip up.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

It's hidden by the right rear tyre! You're looking at the car from about 35deg off the centreline of the car.

Really, some people seem to ignore the obvious in their search for the weird and wonderful... :wink:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.