Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Richard
Richard

Re: Mercedes GP W02

Almost as if Merc struggled to get it to work so they want to get it banned in case a rival team succeeded. :?

The FIA simply need to require the front wings to be closed sections just like the rear wings. It woudl be a mere closing of a loophole, it makes sense to require all wings to be closed sections, doesn't it?

Although Brawn has history on this with the DDD when he was part of the overtaking working group that developed the rules intended to limit diffusers.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

richard_leeds wrote:Almost as if Merc struggled to get it to work so they want to get it banned in case a rival team succeeded. :?

The FIA simply need to require the front wings to be closed sections just like the rear wings. It woudl be a mere closing of a loophole, it makes sense to require all wings to be closed sections, doesn't it?

Although Brawn has history on this with the DDD when he was part of the overtaking working group that developed the rules intended to limit diffusers.
Did Brawn not bring to the OWG's attention there was indeed a flaw in the DDD rules?
Only for Theissen to veto any rewording of the law....?
More could have been done.
David Purley

raymondu999

Was it really Theissen? I've never heard anything pointing to him as the source of it. However I also heard stories that (though I don't know true or not) that Renault (who incidentally was under Bob Bell in terms of technical direction at the time) and Red Bull brought illustrations of a slotted diffuser concept; which were shot down. I remember hearing also that Brawn, while he did bring the loophole to the table, he brought it conceptually rather than through illustrations. Red Bull and Renault were shot down whilst Brawn wasn't. Or some such story.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

yener

There is already a w03 thread.

And they can improve what they want, its stupid to let the teams see what your doing for the comming season.
BrawnGP didnt show their dubble diffuser, if they did Jenson would never won a championship.

For the Regulation all I can say is that wings dont have to be closed. Mercedes used a front wing with openings several times this year.
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

Cocles

Eh, did any of you read the article? Martin Whitmarsh said it was already too late for McLaren and the other teams to have something like this going before the start of next season. Mercedes is fine.

Paul

I'm sure everyone has more than enough time to drill a few holes in their front wings if they want to. Neither should evaluating the concept take much time.

marcush.
marcush.

word is it seems to be hard to model such ducts in a windtunnel environment and maybe as well in straight line testing .So you need to build experience on track.

But then we will see lower noses next year ...will the behaviour compare usefully to what they have tested already?

Paul

For Newey it should be enough to close his eyes and imagine the flow, for others CFD model might prove sufficient to say if a tunnel model is necessary.

PlatinumZealot

we will soon be on three hundred pages of legendary crappiness (this thread). highest thread count ever for F1-tech?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

yener

Cocles wrote:Eh, did any of you read the article? Martin Whitmarsh said it was already too late for McLaren and the other teams to have something like this going before the start of next season. Mercedes is fine.
Thats what they call playing hide and seek. Which Mercedes obviously has fail to play.

Don't forget McLaren had a poor pace at testing this year, throw the car away and started from zero to develop a car in 2 weeks time!

And thats the car which they have been fighting for the championship this year!

So believe me, they have plenty of time!
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

Cocles

yener wrote:
Cocles wrote:Eh, did any of you read the article? Martin Whitmarsh said it was already too late for McLaren and the other teams to have something like this going before the start of next season. Mercedes is fine.
Thats what they call playing hide and seek. Which Mercedes obviously has fail to play.

Don't forget McLaren had a poor pace at testing this year, throw the car away and started from zero to develop a car in 2 weeks time!

So the answer is "Whitmarsh was fibbing?" I just don't buy it. We argue incessantly on here over which team gets the smallest details right. Yes, of course any team could "drill holes" in their wing and send it off to the track, but the idea that such a wing would be equal in performance to one that's been developed for months is ludicrous.

As for McLaren, they hardly started from zero. Let's not forget how long it took the DDD to spread or even just the rear F-Duct.

Mr.S
Mr.S

yener wrote:

Not really. The whole car remained unchanged from testing including the nose cone or U shaped pods.

Its just that the exhaust was causing a lot of problems & they changed the exhaust system.

shelly
shelly

As marcush correctly wrote, testing tiny ducting in scale model in wind tunnel does not give reliable results. You need 1:1 testing to evaluate that.

CFD? I am not sure what kind of fludic switch they are using (if they are using any), but if it works with turbuklent transition cfd also may be erratic.
twitter: @armchair_aero

dren

This will likely help out Mercedes more next year with the lower nose section.
Honda!

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

shelly wrote:As marcush correctly wrote, testing tiny ducting in scale model in wind tunnel does not give reliable results. You need 1:1 testing to evaluate that.

CFD? I am not sure what kind of fludic switch they are using (if they are using any), but if it works with turbuklent transition cfd also may be erratic.
I think its within the rules if full scale models of just the FW+ tires are tested (F1 parts/part combination)..but would not give a complete picture of the effect..