Team Lotus T128 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
N12ck

Re: Lotus T128

Pandamasque wrote:I don't think Team Lotus ever used very dark green famously used by Jaguar and some others.
gibells wrote:Love the idea of the matt black sections.
Especially on a hot day at Sepang :lol:

Personally I'd like them to go for Camel-like yellow. It looks like we'll have many dark cars next season.
hi, lotus original colours are green and yellow however it was not unique, look at the brabham f1 cars
Budding F1 Engineer

lolzi

Brabham was green and gold wasn't it?

N12ck

yes, was exactley the same as the lotus look : http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... 80&bih=709
Budding F1 Engineer

wesley123

i am pretty sure Lotus used Green and Yellow, plus the green was the country's racing colour
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

autogyro

wesley123 wrote:i am pretty sure Lotus used Green and Yellow, plus the green was the country's racing colour
Only in the early days and it had to be British Racing Green which is a specific dark shade of green. I think it was called Sherwood green.
By the way Ferrari red, the original Italian national racing colour is also pillar box red. How do I know? From spraying a few Ferraris and saving money on the paint. Malboro red is not the same and neither is the current lotus green.

Of course santa claus used both colours since the 1930s, mainly the red.
The whole image being a con put together by coca cola in the USA when they were reputed to have put real cocaine in the drink to hook drinkers.
Santa is just a marketing con.
(caffeine today RB)

N12ck

yes british racing green was the british racing colour, ferrari had the italian red as did maserati,,, another example being germany using silver mercedes gp and auto union
Budding F1 Engineer

gridwalker

autogyro wrote:Of course santa claus used both colours since the 1930s, mainly the red.
The whole image being a con put together by coca cola in the USA when they were reputed to have put real cocaine in the drink to hook drinkers.
Santa is just a marketing con.
(caffeine today RB)
@Autogyro : this is COMPLETELY off topic (so apologies), but if you are a traditionalist regarding Santa then you might appreciate a movie that I just saw at our local arthouse cinema : Rare Exports.

It tells a tale featuring the original Santa from before his Victorian sanitization, when he was less about rewarding the good and more about punishing the wicked ... the santa we see today is a Disneyfied caricature of the original myth.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjkJ6rZg7DI[/youtube]

Right : that is about as festive as I get. Sorry for the tangent.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

N12ck

so essentially what we have found out that ferrari is the coca cola santa and lotus is the original santa?
Budding F1 Engineer

autogyro

N12ck wrote:yes british racing green was the british racing colour, ferrari had the italian red as did maserati,,, another example being germany using silver mercedes gp and auto union
Originaly white for Germany I think, until they scrapped all the paint off to save weight. Still a good idea on their road cars.

lolzi

N12ck wrote:yes, was exactley the same as the lotus look
No, the as you can see on the picture the Brabhams had a gold/yellow/brownish colored stripe. The Lotus' stripe is more yellow.

lotus7

autogyro wrote:
wesley123 wrote: Only in the early days and it had to be British Racing Green which is a specific dark shade of green.
(caffeine today RB)
My "research" was that British Racing green came in various shades of a darkish green.
Brabhams , BRMs , Vanwalls , Lotus all had different shades of green with the racing Lotus green slightly lighter than the others ( shade of "olive" in it - I had a discussion a few years ago with Cedric Selzer about this )
In a grounds up restoration of an Elan , I went into this quite deeply. The Elan green was darker than the Team Lotus cars . I eventually painted the Elan a Lotus Green colour as used on the FWD Elans of the 80's found on a Sikkens paint chart - this was to my eye closest the the Team Lotus BRG

FW17

autogyro wrote: By the way Ferrari red, the original Italian national racing colour is also pillar box red. How do I know? From spraying a few Ferraris and saving money on the paint. Malboro red is not the same and neither is the current lotus green.
Italian national racing colour is blue not red.Image

Arunas

WilliamsF1 wrote:
autogyro wrote: By the way Ferrari red, the original Italian national racing colour is also pillar box red. How do I know? From spraying a few Ferraris and saving money on the paint. Malboro red is not the same and neither is the current lotus green.
Italian national racing colour is blue not red.Image
Blue is French :wink:

autogyro

Prince Bira of Siam was blue with a yellow stripe.
Bugatti looked great in it.
Probably the most iconic race car in national livery ever.

I think the official BRG would have to be the Bentley boys cars.

747heavy

WilliamsF1 wrote: Italian national racing colour is blue not red.
Perhaps it´s time for a new thread, as it seems, that this discussion slowly spreads across a varity of different threads here.
As for the claim that blue is Italy´s national racing color:
Since the 1920s, Italian race cars of Alfa Romeo, Maserati and later Ferrari and Abarth were (and often still are) painted in "race red" (Rosso Corsa). This was the customary national racing color of Italy, as recommended between the World Wars by the organizations that later would become the FIA. It refers to the nationality of the competing team, not that of the car manufacturer or driver. In that scheme, French-entered cars like Bugatti were blue, German like Benz and Mercedes white (since 1934 also bare sheet metal silver), and British green such as the mid 1960s Lotus and BRM, for instance
http://www.ugo.com/the-goods/history-of ... ossa-corsa

AFAIK, earlier Ferrari´s where painted in yellow, as the color in the logo, which I think is the color of the Modena region in Italy. (but I could be wrong on this one)
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci