Red Bull RB7 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PaulB

Re: Red Bull RB7 Renault

Did you hear that? A system, that heats the tyres only at the start procedere should have caused Vettel's incident with the Pirelli tyre.

Here a german report:
http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/news ... 12410.html
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose!" - Ayrton Senna

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL
http://paulsf1.wordpress.com/

yener

Wow.. Adrian Newey is really a genius.
Since when do they use this "heater"?
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

Richard
Richard

It is not a fact, its conjecture, a guess.

It is an interesting concept though. The exhaust would flow against the wheel to warm up it when stationary, without burning the tyre, without overheating the brakes, without burning the carbon suspension and brake ducts, and also providing even heat distribution within the wheel so the tyre is evenly heated.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

And then there are Webber's starts that have been consistently better the competition! Would he not have the same system?

Brian

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Edit: nvm, old news.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

atanatizante

Owen.C93 wrote:Interesting ducts on the wheel that I haven't noticed before.
And dudes that`s the real secret of the RB7 success: a quickly warm up the rear tyre, but more important than that is how uniform this temperature is being brought to the tyre via those turbine blades

"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Javert

So at 19th race of the season we finally discovered how Red Bull builds the start-of-race advantage :mrgreen:
But it is really all about exhaust gases? I don't remember listening particular sounds of the Renault engine during formation lap.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Not sure about the vanes in there, but what is interesting, is the thermal sticker in there. That could be for any number of reasons though including but not limited to these aluminium cylinders that have been talked about, or just plain trying to figure out how warm the breaks/tyres are as the car leaves the pits.

Pierce89

The 08 Renault used the exhaust to heat the tires, in fact you van find it in the development blog here on F1T.

http://www.f1technical.net/development/206
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

dren

Maybe during the formation lap there is a set-up where certain channels close and the car drives with the rear brakes dragging, so it builds up a lot of heat?
Honda!

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

The vanes are part of the housing that encloses the brakes, spindle, etc.

Brian

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

dren wrote:Maybe during the formation lap there is a set-up where certain channels close and the car drives with the rear brakes dragging, so it builds up a lot of heat?
This design or system is responsible for what "generally accepted" performance advantage of RB?

Brian

ajprice
ajprice

Another report on the exhaust heated wheel rims, and in English too! - http://totalf1.com/full_story/view/4006 ... i_problem/

Does the German article say its what could have caused the tyre going at Abu Dhabi?

ringo

atanatizante wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:Interesting ducts on the wheel that I haven't noticed before.
And dudes that`s the real secret of the RB7 success: a quickly warm up the rear tyre, but more important than that is how uniform this temperature is being brought to the tyre via those turbine blades

Those blades are for brake cooling exit, not for tyre heating flow.

I don't see how the exhuast can heat the rim evenly across it's width. It may heat evenly circumferentially but not perpendicular to that, ie axially.

If anything the exhuasts incidentally blow on the wheels all the time, and may not be an intentional tye warmer.
The R31 exhuasts also heats the tyres.
For Sure!!

PaulB

ajprice wrote:Another report on the exhaust heated wheel rims, and in English too! - http://totalf1.com/full_story/view/4006 ... i_problem/

Does the German article say its what could have caused the tyre going at Abu Dhabi?
They said, that Seb was standing too long in the starting grid, because the last ones on the grid were too slow. Normaly he brakes down short before the start-finish straight, that the tyres of his followers cool down. And then, in the starting grid he has that advantage. I think a lot of people will look at that.
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose!" - Ayrton Senna

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL
http://paulsf1.wordpress.com/