2012 Brazilian GP - Interlagos

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Intego

Re: Where shall we go when the Mod closes the last race's th

I finally got the footage. Here you can see Vettel passing Kobayashi under yellow lights. It must have happened between lap 14 and lap 16. To me there still remain some mysteries.

In lap 8 Vettel was behind Kobayashi, wanted to overtake but stepped back because of yellow flags. Then KOB pitted and was way behind afterwards.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CN9uVivqyo[/youtube]

In lap 16 VET passed KOB in regular move. Then SKY showed the replay with the ominous pass.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CjaWDa9ZRA[/youtube]

The race lap chart shows that both were in between range from laps 14–16. So VET must have passed KOB at the end of lap 14 or 15 and immediately let him pass again before crossing the start-finish-line, otherwise the timetable would have shown the pass.

So, were it yellow flags? It's not quite clear and there are hints that it was just yellow lights due to slippery surface, because there were no marshals waving yellow flags and there was no incident that would legitimate yellow flags.
From lap 8 on the red and yellow striped flags were shown due to slippery surface.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzRszjivccE[/youtube]
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

Mr Alcatraz

mbvinnie wrote:Talking about the race, how funny was Kimi's trip 'downtown'
LMAO :lol:
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Cam

With the Yellow Flag overtaking issue - the consensus seems to be that the SOLID yellow light is used in place of a STATIONERY Yellow and Red stripped flag. The rules indicate a WAVING Yellow to indicate a hazard with no overtaking - so the lights would have been BLINKING - which they were not.
Yellow flag
Indicates danger, such as a stranded car, ahead. A single waved yellow flag warns drivers to slow down, while two waved yellow flags at the same post means that drivers must slow down and be prepared to stop if necessary. Overtaking is prohibited.
Source

Edit: Added source and typo.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Cam

Here's the company that makes the LED system - with a great video explaining how it all works. Watch the video from 1:50 and you can see a FLASHING yellow LED with a WAVING Yellow flag.

Also, the FIA seem to have full control and can instantly see where everyone is - so can see if someone breaches.

http://www.emmotorsport.com/media
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Intego

Mr Alcatraz wrote:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmt20tCMlQ0[/youtube]
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

ParanoiD

Mr Alcatraz wrote:
That had me laughing hard and ease of the tense from the race for a moment.

I was like," WTH happened? oh ok, there is an escape road." and when it meet dead end " WTH?" and just laugh afterwards..
It quite a narrow road (think)and yet he could spin his car perfectly for a U-turn.
Ay Carumba!

Cam

Intego wrote:I finally got the footage....
Actually Intego, your videos show the answer very clearly. I have done some screen grabs with circles to indicate the areas to look at:

1: this shot shows Vettel before entering the waved yellow area - notice the lights on the dash.
2: this shot shows Vettel after passing the waved yellow flags - you can now see yellow lights on the dash at either far side - indicating to the driver a caution area.
3: this shot shows Vettel immediately before the solid yellow light - notice the dash.
4: this shot shows Vettel after passing teh solid yellow light - see the dash? No yellow lights on there i.e. no caution zone.
Last edited by Richard on 26 Nov 2012, 22:52, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Shortened long quote
― Socrates

stefan_
stefan_

Intego wrote:
Mr Alcatraz wrote:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmt20tCMlQ0[/youtube]
Kimi Räikkönen, P10, E20-05:
"It was a busy race and we didn't have the pace we wanted all the time. There was certainly a lot going on. I went off at the last corner on lap fifty-two as I couldn't see well with my visor being dirty and fogged up. Where I went off you can get back on the track by going through the support race pit lane, but you have to go through a gate. I know this as I did the same thing in 2001 and the gate was open that year. Somebody closed it this time. Next year I'll make sure it's open again."
Was funny though.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

strad

JimClarkFan wrote:Ok how about a poll thread then - 'Who in your opinion was the most deserving driver' this season.

Let the fan boys have their say with a click of a button, and let the neutrals have their say too.

Yeah great, but just a vote, no comments. All this biased arguing is a lot of BS.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

raymondu999

SOOOOOOO....

111 days to go then.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Intego

Jeez, I do need glasses! 8) Err, wrong ones.
Thank you, Cam, so case closed. Glad, that there is one argument thrown away from the discussion.
However it is still not clear to me, when this pass happened, as it was not shown in the live feed, but must have been lap 14 or 15, as said.

And I'm also glad that JimClarkFan will stay with us next year. :D

banibhusan

Coming back to the race, what I wonder is why did Ferrari again tried to go defensive with their strategies? When it started drizzling, everyone moved to inters, but Button, Massa and Hulk stayed on the slicks and they were setting quite fast lap times. I believe Ferrari should have let Alonso stay on the slicks, because the guys at the front were setting almost equal lap times.

IMO, Vettel was the luckiest yesterday. After lap1 itself it seemed he was destined to win the WDC. Usually drivers do not survive the crash that he had..In most of the cases it leads to retirements or some critical damage. But RB barely suffered any critical damage..

piast9
piast9

Cam wrote: 3: this shot shows Vettel immediately before the solid yellow light - notice the dash.
The caution lights on the dashboard is off because as you can see in the video below about 0:29-0:30, just when they stopped the onboard shot from Vettel's car that there was a green light on the right side of the track ahead.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CN9uVivqyo[/youtube]

Because of the distance it is not clearly visible in that movie but during the post-race analysis in the Sky Sports they showed the whole footage from Vettel's onboard camera. That light was green and then next yellow light was just at the moment when he already was alongside Kobayashi.

Intego

piast9 wrote:... but during the post-race analysis in the Sky Sports they showed the whole footage from Vettel's onboard camera ...
I'll get this stuff and will post it ...

Intego