British GP 2011 - Silverstone

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

British GP 2011 - Silverstone

Circuit information

Length: 5.901km (3.667m)
Race distance: 52 laps / 306.747km
Top speed: 305kph
Brake wear: Low
Downforce level: Medium
Gear changes per lap: 44

Strategy

Average fuel use per lap: 2.36
Pit lane time loss: 19.1 seconds (source: Williams)
2010 tyre compounds: hard (prime, no marking), soft (option, green markings)
2009 tyre compounds: hard (prime, no marking), soft (option, green markings)
2008 tyre compounds: hard (prime, no marking), medium (option, white markings)

For fans of the new pit complex:

http://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/news ... 14.article
http://www.populous.com/news/05172011_silverstonewing/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/silverston ... 359/detail

Any comments or complaints, PM me and please do not clutter the thread, but please feel free to keep your complaints to yourself. :D

Just_a_fan

Re: British GP 2011 - Silverstone

Nice map. What about corner names? :wink: :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

raymondu999

To be fair I think the corner names are more affectionate things for the fans; officially the FIA still calls them by corner numbers, no?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Just_a_fan

For those who like names:

Also, Abbey is the new Turn 1 as the F1 pits are now on the straight between Club and Abbey

Just_a_fan

raymondu999 wrote:To be fair I think the corner names are more affectionate things for the fans; officially the FIA still calls them by corner numbers, no?
Sure, officially the corners are numbered because then everyone knows where you are but for fans (which we all are presumably) the names have a historic importance. After all, would Spa be the same if Eau Rouge / Radillon were just known as Turns 2 & 3? Likewise Maggotts / Becketts / Chapel at Silverstone is a classic combination and generally well regarded by the drivers too. The names are as important as the names of historic drivers. Eau Rouge, Becketts, Parabolica are as important to F1 as Fangio, Clark, Stewart, Schumacher...

Oh, and my little jovial dig was due to my little run-in with andrew in the previous race thread...

andrew

raymondu999 wrote:To be fair I think the corner names are more affectionate things for the fans; officially the FIA still calls them by corner numbers, no?
Makes more sense to go with corner numbers. Unless you are a real F1 anorak corner names are largely meaningless except for the balls out hairy arsed corners like Eau Rouge, which everyone knows.
Just_a_fan wrote:Oh, and my little jovial dig was due to my little run-in with andrew in the previous race thread...
Jovial is not what I would call it.

Vasco

Bleh another Red Bull & Vettel dominated race...

raymondu999

I wonder, actually. Could it be possible that in fact McLaren would lose the most from the EBD blowing ban? I seem to remember in Spa last year that they were blowing quite aggressively through the race.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Just_a_fan

andrew wrote:
Makes more sense to go with corner numbers. Unless you are a real F1 anorak corner names are largely meaningless except for the balls out hairy arsed corners like Eau Rouge, which everyone knows.
Just_a_fan wrote:Oh, and my little jovial dig was due to my little run-in with andrew in the previous race thread...
Jovial is not what I would call it.
Perhaps we should get rid of car names too. After all each car has a number on it. So Vettel won today in Car 1. Also, the FIA refers to the cars by number...

We should beware of getting rid of historically important (or fan important) things like corner names. They add an important aspect to the sport...

And my little dig was jovial (hence the winky and the smiley) although admittedly the previous run-in was sadly less pleasant...

i70q7m7ghw

I hate to break it to you, but the pit straight is now located between the old turns 10 & 11, so 11 now effectively becomes turn 1. I doubt you'll find an updated map so I guess we'll just have to remember to subtract 10 =P

andrew

Oh the irony! If I had uploaded the lap graphic from the usual source, it would have corner names and the pit straight in its new location. Shouldn't have heckled and bullied me in the European GP thread and the graphic in the opening post would have been perfect! :lol:

No matter, here it is:

i70q7m7ghw

Andrew, something wrong with the EDIT button on your posts? Regardless, that map isn't any more useful because it doesn't have the up to date corner numbers, the names haven't changed.

TheRMVR

@ andrew

Your opening post is not correct. Previous Winners it states 2007 Raikkonen McLaren. I believe Raikkonen drove a Ferrari in 2007, as a matter of fact he became world champion in that Ferrari.

ElleMarie

So the main straight its not the same as the last year???? :shock:
(in that case T1 is left corner)

Did i get it wrong?

A nice and well embed image of 2012 (not 2011) layout will be great to see :lol:

i70q7m7ghw

Turn 1 is still a right (it's called abbey but it's not really abbey), it's a similar corner to copse tbh so I don't expect alot to change. We might be robbed of an epic wheel-to-wheel through becketts on the opening lap though.