Italian GP 2011 - Autodromo Nazionale Monza

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
raymondu999

Italian GP 2011 - Autodromo Nazionale Monza

Circuit data
Full throttle: 70%
Top speed in race: 351kph
Longest flat-out section: 16 seconds / 1,320m

Tyre wear: low
Brake wear: very high
Downforce level: very low
Gear changes per lap: 46

Source: BMW

Strategy

2011 tyres: Medium (prime, White), Soft (option, Yellow)
2010 tyres: Hard (prime, no stripe), Soft (option, stripe)
2009 tyres: Medium (prime, no stripe), Soft (option, stripe)
2008 tyres: Hard (prime, no stripe), Medium (option, stripe)

Average fuel use per lap: 2.525kg
Pit lane time loss: 25s

2010:
Last edited by raymondu999 on 28 Aug 2011, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ringo

Re: Italian GP 2011 - Autodromo Nazionale Monza

Rosberg win!!
For Sure!!

raymondu999

I think Spa gave us quite a few surprises (no one was really expecting Red Bull to be fast in S1/S3. I wonder; could that be the case here? Having said that... Red Bull brought a very skinny wing that almost looked Monza spec in Spa. Can they trim it out to provide even LESS drag? I think that would compromise them by not even allowing them to open DRS fully (5cm)
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

wesley123

A single plane wing might be possible? It surprised me how low downforce they ran in Spa, they didnt have such small wings in the past 2 years.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

raymondu999

Wasn't there a BAR or something that once tried to race with endplates only?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ajdavison2

as in no rear wing planes?

raymondu999

wesley123 wrote:A single plane wing might be possible? It surprised me how low downforce they ran in Spa, they didnt have such small wings in the past 2 years.
Is that even allowed? Also how would you implement DRS then?
ajdavison2 wrote:as in no rear wing planes?
Yep
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

gridwalker

raymondu999 wrote:Wasn't there a BAR or something that once tried to race with endplates only?
I think you are talking about a Williams : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8988

"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

wesley123

I dont know if it is allowed, but you just put DRS on the only flap I guess? Or a small main plane with an high nose up angle and then long chord flap.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

beelsebob

when viewed from the side of the car, no longitudinal cross section may have more than two sections in this area, each of which must be closed.
No more than, so yes, it would be entirely valid to run with only a beam wing. However...
The chord of the rearmost and uppermost closed section must always be smaller than the chord of the lowermost section at the same lateral station.
If you have a rear wing, the movable section must be longer than the lower section, so you can't run only the DRS flap.

beelsebob

Just a random snippet from the tech regs that I hadn't spotted before...
The adjustable bodywork may be activated by the driver at any time prior to the start of the race and, for the sole purpose of improving overtaking opportunities during the race
The way I read that it says you're not allowed to use DRS to defend if you aren't making an attempt to pass the car within a second ahead of you... I guess it would be pretty hard to argue someone wasn't doing that, but it's an odd corner anyway.

raymondu999

Well arguably using the DRS to get closer to the guy in front would be trying to improve overtaking opportunities
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

beelsebob

raymondu999 wrote:Well arguably using the DRS to get closer to the guy in front would be trying to improve overtaking opportunities
What it surely would ban is using DRS to defend if you overtake before the activation zone but after the detection zone.

MrBlacky

I predict another RB pole.

raymondu999

I've noticed something very funky with Mark Webber's lines in Monza last year. I think it's to do with maximizing the EBD with no off-throttle blowing. It's quite well documented that a late apex will be maximizing on-throttle time, and hence, (in the case of no engine mapping) will maximize the EBD usage.

At the Curva Parabolica, Mark brakes VERY late and doesn't touch the regular apex. Instead, he apexes near where it says "11" on the circuit diagram above; a VERY late apex. I wonder. This, I think, could be a very powerful line in qualifying, as the straighter line could mean that DRS could be deployed all the way through the Parabolica, no?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法